·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hope it keeps a similar ethos with new owners

·
Registered
235 Posts
That could be a good thing. An injection of cash to allow them to do more, and although huge, EDF don't really have the baggage of being a fossil fuel company trying to green-wash themselves. They're not 100% clean, but mostly nuclear from what I understand.

I hope Pod Point retains it's identity and autonomy.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Boo! Selling out to the lot across La Manche who will move the jobs (but not the staff) to Paris at the first opportunity. Expect an initial bit of development (smart charge features for the home unit) and more partnerships like the VW/Tesco one, then they'll start doubling down on profits and go from being one of the cheapest to higher prices.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Investested in one of the crowdsource rounds earlier on and had the vote last week. Nearly doubled my money so can't complain, was hoping for a far longer invested as it's only going to grow.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well EDF are going to have to make the money somewhere to finish Hinkley Point C, and what better way that by charging more per kWh from EV owners. :)

·
Registered
914 Posts
Investested in one of the crowdsource rounds earlier on and had the vote last week. Nearly doubled my money so can't complain, was hoping for a far longer invested as it's only going to grow.
Exactly. So it would have been be better for all concerned if it hadn't been sold, and particularly to the CESMs.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
As freddie would sing...
Another one bites the dust :(

It was bound to happen as the shift gets greater, less and less 3/7kw points will be free and edf customer service... once been with them years ago and never ever ever again!
Maybe the latest debacle with the tesco chargers was handled by the EDF customer service and PR dept... SHHHH dont tell anyone anything :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I, like anyone. love a bargain, and free electricity for my car is about as big a bargain as you can get. And bargains never last forever.

We are currently in the somewhat artificial 'early adopter' phase of EV uptake, and companies like Tesco are using free charging as a loss leader for their main (retail) offer. But as EVs become mainstream, and eventually overtake ICE vehicles in number, it is completely unrealistic to expect 'free' fuel to continue to be available. We don't expect Tesco (or Lidl, or Sainsbury) to let us fill up with petrol/diesel for nothing, and we shouldn't expect electrons to be any different.

People who complain when charges are introduced need to 'get real', and accept that 'free' charging is, and will be, a temporary thing.

Providing free fuel to users is unsustainable in the long term - electricity is NOT free, and someone has to pay for it. And 'free' inhibits investment - if there is no profit to be made (and giving your product away is not profitable), what is the incentive for competitors to invest. And the opportunity to charge for free actually discourages home charging, which is cheap but not free. So the free chargers tend to get blocked by people from the local area saving money when they should be charging at home.

If EDF invest in Pod-Point, they will want a return on their investment, and I for one will be happy to pay if it means better and wider availability of chargers. And as a current EDF customer it would be nice to get a discount!!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
53 Posts
It might be a good idea for such 'loss leader' charge points to simply cost the current wholesale electrical rate, so free overnight in windy weather, and much higher prices when the store is busy anyway at the end of the afternoon.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Places like Tesco don't need to offer free electrons at all. A Rapid or two on their carpark would always attract EVs there as the driver would have somewhere to spend 30 minutes and they would be a preferred choice to a competitor Rapid with no facilities. If the price was set at a breakeven point they would be even more attractive to drivers and allow continued or growth of support by the site owners. Free has historically caused all sorts of problems and is best avoided.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have different experiences, the EDF charging network in France called IZIVIA makes Ecofreakery look good. They charge by the minute even when the charger is not working correctly. I think and hope that the UK arm is better than that.

They do have a cracking tariff for EV’s. 8p a unit from 9pm till 7am every night in the week and from 9pm Friday night all weekend till 7am Monday morning. Day rate is 18p. So 58 hours a week off peak and 70 hours peak . Beats economy7. Only available for EV ownes.

·
Registered
914 Posts
They charge by the minute even when the charger is not working correctly. I think and hope that the UK arm is better than that.
Pod Point are currently much better than that and let's hope they remain that way. Unfortunately the French will only see the British staff as a cost.
They do have a cracking tariff for EV’s. 8p a unit from 9pm till 7am every night in the week and from 9pm Friday night all weekend till 7am Monday morning. Day rate is 18p. So 58 hours a week off peak and 70 hours peak . Beats economy7. Only available for EV ownes.
Lots of unneeded electrons from their nuclear reactors. Come the day the South East is directly in line.......

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Everyone I know who have dealt with EDF have had a horrendous time so I'm taking this as bad news
I use EDF for my FIT payments for my solar PV and they are undisputed* champions of paying quickly. Submit the numbers on a Sunday, get confirmation of payment on the Monday and in my account Wednesday or Thursday.

* undisputed on the appropriate moneysavingexpert forum

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I use EDF for my FIT payments for my solar PV and they are undisputed* champions of paying quickly. Submit the numbers on a Sunday, get confirmation of payment on the Monday and in my account Wednesday or Thursday.

* undisputed on the appropriate moneysavingexpert forum
Exactly the same for me too. Read horror stories over 5 years ago when we got Solar and was half expecting EDF to be as bad. Only did FIT with them as at time they were our elecy suppliers. As with you, super fast and easy submission and payments for many years. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts