Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
181 - 200 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,909 Posts
I don't let them use gas in this house if you are cold put on more jumpers or go out somewhere where its warmer :)

Got our total gas usage under £100 last year aiming and on target for £50 this year

Pet penguin loves it here

View attachment 124216

View attachment 124217
BTW that's impressive.. Either you have very efficient and capable insulation and water tank or the household is very savy

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Is it Vodafone? I thought that it was o2 that the smart meters used. Admittedly I think both Voda and o2 have broadly similar signal due to mast sharing...

Do the smart meters have any facility to connect an external antenna to help them out in weak signal areas (or even to allow an external antenna if they're in a thick stone house)
the thing it was working fine for a few weeks. I don't beleive
  • That the signal strength suddenly dropped (I've had Vofa, O2 and 3 all working here fine)
  • That the signal strength is "too poor" yet they get meter readings fine
  • That poor strength on the connection from meter back to base affects meter to IHD

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
the thing it was working fine for a few weeks. I don't beleive
  • That the signal strength suddenly dropped (I've had Vofa, O2 and 3 all working here fine)
  • That the signal strength is "too poor" yet they get meter readings fine
  • That poor strength on the connection from meter back to base affects meter to IHD
It would be interesting to see if they can fit an external antenna,

We use Three for our home broadband, it was dire just using a 4G Router, 4Mbs Down 2 Mbs up max, since putting a cheap £10 external antenna in the bedroom window we get 80-90Mbs down and 30-40Mbs upload, so even something cheap should get the signal needed for a smart meter . I would think

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have recently switched to the EDF Go Electric (elec only) tariff. I had already had a SMETS2 smart meter installed by my previous supplier. Part of the appeal of the EDF tariff is the entitlement it gives to a discounted installation of an EO mini pro charger (at a cost of £300).

The installation is done on behalf of EDF by Elmtronics. I’m considering taking up the Go Electric installation offer.

Has anyone had experience of applying and installing a home charger with EDF? How did it go? Was the installation neat ie was external wiring hidden? Does the Go Electric charging app work well?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Anyone - right now - manage to get clear information from EDF's web site about the what the costs are for their overnight EV charging tariffs ?

I do a quote and it keeps giving me a standard tariff with a message that in 1-2 weeks you can transfer to <EV tariff name> once the smart meters are transferred. But I'd like to know first/now what those EV tariff details are.

Other providers seem to manage this very well/clearly.

All for my spreadsheet given we can switch from current fixed price tariff from next month :)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Anyone - right now - manage to get clear information from EDF's web site about the what the costs are for their overnight EV charging tariffs ?

I do a quote and it keeps giving me a standard tariff with a message that in 1-2 weeks you can transfer to <EV tariff name> once the smart meters are transferred. But I'd like to know first/now what those EV tariff details are.

Other providers seem to manage this very well/clearly.

All for my spreadsheet given we can switch from current fixed price tariff from next month :)
goelectric_may22_rate_card.pdf (edfenergy.com)

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Google, cheers
But those May 2022 prices are not the current ones linked to on the EDF website, the latest one refers to March 2024 and the rates have increased quite a bit:

The link is from the main EV tariffs page

·
Registered
Two Nissan Leaf e+
342 Posts
EDF are changing their prices quite regularly at the minute, upwards. We've just finished the Aug 21 tariff and moved onto an Aug22 version. This was arranged a couple of months ago. The default tariff then became Aug23, at a slightly higher rate. In the last week it has suddenly become the March24 tariff as mentioned above. The overnight electricity rate has gone up 2p per kWh across these iterations, for example.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My EDF Go Electric tariff ended on31 Aug and I have just renewed, to Aug 23. My rate has also jumped by 2p per kWh, which was also higher than a previous quote I was given July.

All suppliers are increasing their charges, I'm prepared to accept this new rate this time but will do a lot more research when my renewal comes around next time. The EDF website is not user friendly, I failed to new renew online and I have spoken to the Go Electric team about this. Fortunately for me, I formed quite a good relationship with one of the Go Electric Team and he helped me through the process.

I was lucky speaking to someone, talking to a bot or webchat is not the best way forward, at least it wasn't in my case.

·
Registered
708 Posts
But those May 2022 prices are not the current ones linked to on the EDF website, the latest one refers to March 2024 and the rates have increased quite a bit:

The link is from the main EV tariffs page

Thanks!

Rates look good. Just pricing it up on my spreadsheet

Wholesale prices in general are up. Still overall much cheaper than what we were paying before for energy (house gas/electric + petrol).

·
Registered
534 Posts
As I said all of our requirements are different. I'm running over 1.5kWh overnight (24hr equipment), so the EDF Overnight and weekends really benefits me. (9 x 1.5 = 13.5, c£1.35 as opposed to £2.70 on the day rate. 1.35 x 365 = £492 savings). Plus my solar panels tends to cover a good deal of the daytime consumption. I'm not saying it's perfect, but I'm not doing too badly out of it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Might be an idea to pick tariffs with low exit fees should the energy market improve?
Yeh - £30 seems to be rough figure, which is a cheap option to use if needed

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Registered
708 Posts
As I said all of our requirements are different. I'm running over 1.5kWh overnight (24hr equipment), so the EDF Overnight and weekends really benefits me. (9 x 1.5 = 13.5, c£1.35 as opposed to £2.70 on the day rate. 1.35 x 365 = £492 savings). Plus my solar panels tends to cover a good deal of the daytime consumption. I'm not saying it's perfect, but I'm not doing too badly out of it.
So far I too am leaning towards EDF GoElectric 98

·
Registered
Blue BMW i3s 94ah 2018
134 Posts
Currently we was a combined dual fuel arrangement, combined electricity and gas. Gas being the larger part. (We also burn a couple of tons of logs per annum).

I have explored EV tariffs and it looks great. EDF and Octopus among others. This would give us a significantly reduced electricity price, and an even better off peak charging rate. Then I looked at their gas prices (Octopus in particular seem ridiculously high). Anything we gained on electricity, we'd lose twice as much with their high gas price!

For an EV specific tariff to work, it looks like we'd need to split our fuel arrangements and buy gas separately.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Currently we was a combined dual fuel arrangement, combined electricity and gas. Gas being the larger part. (We also burn a couple of tons of logs per annum).

I have explored EV tariffs and it looks great. EDF and Octopus among others. This would give us a significantly reduced electricity price, and an even better off peak charging rate. Then I looked at their gas prices (Octopus in particular seem ridiculously high). Anything we gained on electricity, we'd lose twice as much with their high gas price!

For an EV specific tariff to work, it looks like we'd need to split our fuel arrangements and buy gas separately.
Everyone's case is different, especially with these time-of-use smart tariffs not appearing on the standard energy comparison sites.

Good to do your own spreadsheet.

Reactions: Scrooge
181 - 200 of 208 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.