Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Gave up on live chat. They kept sending me a link for their dual rate GoElectric tariff not single rate GoElectric which does not appear on the website for me. Hence why their email said to contact them...............sigh! Will just go to Octopus. Switching providers would appear to be easier...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Switching providers would appear to be easier...
Octopus GO with SMETS2 is still giving me (or more accurately Octopus) some problems. Seven weeks on since installation, there is an absence of usage data in my online account. I also cannot see any off-peak usage information on the actual meter - not that it comes with any form user guide. A call to the DNO today also revealed that the Meter Operator has failed to update my new meter serial number on the ECOES database.

·
Registered
525 Posts
TV full of ads about switching this evening. What is clear to me that unless you have the right meter you cannot get the best tariff. With some suppliers locking you in for 12 months on a crap tariff if for whatever reason they can’t be arsed installing their smart meter to access their best deals e.g BG. Sigh...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
We are still going round in circles with them

they came and fitted a smets2 meter on 5th Aug, took away old meter

after that we started getting emails asking for readings from old meter replied multiple times not possible as it’s not here, so they have estimated a huge useage.
They have now said they think we only have a smart gas meter and the fitter did not record fitting a new electricity meter, so now having to go through complaints again to get the meter issue resolved (the national meter database shows correct meter and smart meter is showing right rates) so as normal it’s an EDF stuff up

on the plus side already on third lot of compo for complaints over the way they have handled the whole transfer so electricit6 will be free for about half a year once they finally sort it all out

·
Registered
116 Posts
The ordinary call centre staff at EDF seem to have very little info about Go Electric. There’s a dedicated team dealing with it, and you can only set the ball rolling by filling in the online request form. However, once they got in touch I found it all went relatively smoothly, took about a month from start to finish getting the meter fitted and the new tariff activated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm on the journey to this tariff, now waiting for meter to be installed (I have a date mid Sep)
Total elapsed time should be about 5 weeks.
That sounds pretty good. My timescales so far are:

July 23rd: Applied to switch (was on Bulb)
Aug 12th: Switch complete to EDF standard tariff
Aug 29th: Today. Still waiting to begin switch to EV tariff.

So I'm 5 weeks in, and although I've pushed them at every point, I'm probably about half way through.

·
Registered
89 Posts
EDF, lol...

Due to my SMETS1 meter I can't change to the GoElectric dual rate tariff. But hey as I'm already an EDF customer they offered me their single rate tariff for EVs detailed below. Phoned up asked for a quote to see if there was indeed a saving only to be told this tariff is for Economy 7 customers!? I'm not on E7 so why offer it to me plus they say it's for single rate meters!?

Effing hopeless...

Hi,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding our GoElectric tariff.

We’ve checked the details of your electricity meter and I’m sorry to inform you that it’s not compatible with our two-rate GoElectric tariff. This is because we would need to install a smart meter to accurately measure your usage during the unique off peak hours of the tariff. However, there is currently no smart meter signal in your area, so it would not work correctly if we were to install it at your property.

We know this is disappointing, so we’ve developed and recently launched a single-rate version of the tariff exclusively for customers in your situation, which will work with the meter you have installed. Although it does not offer an off-peak rate, the unit price that applies all day is designed to be extremely competitive, which provides a very similar overall bill price to that of the two-rate version (based on an assumed usage split of 60% off-peak & 40% peak). The prices are also fixed until September 2020.

Fuel:
Electricity
Tariff Name: GoElectric Sep20 Single Rate
Fixed Until: 30/09/2020
Daily Standing Charge: 28.77p per day
Unit Rate: 11.66p per kWh
Exit Fee: £ 30

Fuel: Gas
Tariff Name: GoElectric Sep20
Daily Standing Charge: 26.52p per day
Unit Rate: 3.583p per kWh
All prices include 5% VAT

Please note that the prices above are the current rates and EDF Energy may withdraw tariffs at any time.

Next Steps

If you’d like to proceed with a full quote then please let us know. In order to produce this we’ll need to know the annual consumption figure to base your quote on.

If you have a specific annual consumption figure you would like to use, please reply to this email with the kWh values for electricity (and gas if applicable). Otherwise, we can use the total annual figure from your account. In order for us to use that figure please just let us know whether this figure already includes your electric vehicle charging consumption or not.

Please be aware that we’ve experienced extremely high demand for the tariff so there may be a delay in getting back to you but we are working through sign up requests as quickly as we can.

Kind regards

Chris Hopkirk
Customer Service

B2C Operations
Electric Vehicles
Blue Lab
Well this is the email I got - different electricity rates to you but apparently the same plan and dates. o_O

John..

Hi,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding our GoElectric tariff.

We’ve checked the details of your electricity meter and I’m sorry to inform you that it’s not compatible with our two-rate GoElectric tariff. This is because the meter installed at your home is a “SMETS 1” Smart meter which was not installed by us. Due to an industry-wide issue, these meters lose their smart capability when you change supplier, so we couldn’t accurately measure your usage during the unique off peak hours of the tariff. There are industry plans to “enrol” these meters into the national network, at which point we’ll be able to support them and offer the two-rate version of our tariff, but this is not due until late 2020 or early 2021.

We know this is disappointing, so we’ve developed and recently launched a single-rate version of the tariff exclusively for customers in your situation, which will work with the meter you have installed. Although it does not offer an off-peak rate, the unit price that applies all day is designed to be extremely competitive, which provides a very similar overall bill price to that of the two-rate version (based on an assumed usage split of 60% off-peak & 40% peak). The prices are also fixed until September 2020.

Fuel:
Electricity
Tariff Name: GoElectric Sep20 Single Rate
Daily Standing Charge: 29.03p per day
Unit Rate: 11.43p per kWh

Fuel: Gas
Tariff Name: GoElectric Sep20
Daily Standing Charge: 26.52p per day
Unit Rate: 3.588p per kWh
All prices include 5% VAT

Please note that the prices above are the current rates and EDF Energy may withdraw tariffs at any time.

If you’d like to go ahead with the tariff, then please reply to this email and we’ll contact you to arrange a full quote to confirm your forecast bill prices based on your specific consumption patterns. Please be aware that we’ve experienced extremely high demand for the tariff so there may be a delay in getting back to you but we are working through sign up requests as quickly as we can.

Kind regards

Chris Hopkirk
Customer Service

B2C Operations
Electric Vehicles
Blue Lab

·
Registered
34 Posts
That sounds pretty good. My timescales so far are:

July 23rd: Applied to switch (was on Bulb)
Aug 12th: Switch complete to EDF standard tariff
Aug 29th: Today. Still waiting to begin switch to EV tariff.

So I'm 5 weeks in, and although I've pushed them at every point, I'm probably about half way through.
Update:
Sep 3rd: given SMETS2 appointment
Oct 2nd: Anticipated installation and switch date

A bit disappointed by the delay, but EDF communicate frequently, and seem to be doing their best. They told me that the 3rd party installers are burdened by personnel training requirements related to introduction of prepayment facilities (not in relation to this tariff), and that lead times are therefore currently extending.

If it goes according to plan it will be 11 weeks 1 day from application to switch.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Update:
Sep 3rd: given SMETS2 appointment
Oct 2nd: Anticipated installation and switch date

A bit disappointed by the delay, but EDF communicate frequently, and seem to be doing their best. They told me that the 3rd party installers are burdened by personnel training requirements related to introduction of prepayment facilities (not in relation to this tariff), and that lead times are therefore currently extending.

If it goes according to plan it will be 11 weeks 1 day from application to switch.
And how many years have they had to prepare for this, AND the rollout of SMETS2 is running over two years late?

Switch sadly doesn't mean account set up, so you can add a few weeks to your switch date.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have had an on going complaint with EDF and the go electric tariff. I was switched over in June and since that time I have been unable to get any info from the EDF portal . As far as the portal is concerned I do not have a smart meter . The tariff appears to be working but I cannot get any data from the portal to confirm usage . The Electricity bill does not breakdown usage by the day. only by peek and off-peak usage.

EDF finally admitted the portal is unable to provide this info at the moment and requires an update and cannot give a date when this will happen . They have compensated me £60.00 so I can move my account elsewhere without penatly .

I feel all these tariffs have been dreamed up by the marketing team and the backend end is incapable of delivering the complexity , is Octopus any better ?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
is Octopus any better ?
Have a read (I would start at the last post and work back):

The simple answer for SMETS2 is ’no’. I have no access to any data on my online account.

Correction: Four days of electricity half hourly data has just appeared at the expense of all my old gas data which has been replaced with a note suggesting that my property might not be on supply!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yes I don't understand why they have launched GoElectric when the live chat staff know next to nothing either. After my forth live chat session they say I can expect an email from the GoElectric team. Not holding my breath and that's been a few days now... They keep saying I'm on the cheapest tariff, yes but the GoElectric single rate is cheaper so I might start doing some home charging...

EDF can expect me leaving shortly, lol...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not fussed about reporting but it's tariff working with regards to peak / off peak rates?

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos
I am going this direction because I think it's a rock-solid way of getting a SMETS 2 smart-meter fitted, and a reasonable tariff. At 8p/unit it's not as cheap as Octopus Go (5p), but it's cheap-rate from 9pm-7.30am plus all weekend (Octopus is only 00.30 - 04.30, which would only give my 90Kwh car a 30% charge at 7Kw), and users report reliable provision of smart-meters, while Octopus experiences seem to vary, with some customers still getting older SMETS 1 meters, and others not seeming to get the job done for ages.

I don't have any sort of smart control over my charging, so I can just kick it off at 9pm, easy. Also, we can make use of the EDF low-rate period for other loads (washing machine, dishwasher etc.) in a way that we wouldn't realistically be able to organize with the middle-of-the-night Octopus period.

After a year's lock-in, I will review from the advantageous position of then having a v2 smart meter in situ.

For a busy household with kids and an EV this tariff looks a good bet. The only downside is that I'm stuck on EDF's ridiculous 18p tariff until my smart-meter install.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I am going this direction because I think it's a rock-solid way of getting a SMETS 2 smart-meter fitted, and a reasonable tariff. At 8p/unit it's not as cheap as Octopus Go (5p), but it's cheap-rate from 9pm-7.30am plus all weekend (Octopus is only 00.30 - 04.30, which would only give my 90Kwh car a 30% charge at 7Kw), and users report reliable provision of smart-meters, while Octopus experiences seem to vary, with some customers still getting older SMETS 1 meters, and others not seeming to get the job done for ages.

I don't have any sort of smart control over my charging, so I can just kick it off at 9pm, easy. Also, we can make use of the EDF low-rate period for other loads (washing machine, dishwasher etc.) in a way that we wouldn't realistically be able to organize with the middle-of-the-night Octopus period.

After a year's lock-in, I will review from the advantageous position of then having a v2 smart meter in situ.

For a busy household with kids and an EV this tariff looks a good bet. The only downside is that I'm stuck on EDF's ridiculous 18p tariff until my smart-meter install.
I'm anyway on the tariff with older Eco 20:20 meter. Smart meter is coming next week. Reading about folks posting reporting issues I just want to be sure that tariff is working as desired irrespective of reporting (I only have manual meter readings at the moment)

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
582 Posts
EDF have just released an Economy 7 tariff of 5.66p & 19p daytime with 21.91p std charge, works out cheapest for my use thanks to solar & small battery back up system taking care of evening coverage ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm anyway on the tariff with older Eco 20:20 meter. Smart meter is coming next week. Reading about folks posting reporting issues I just want to be sure that tariff is working as desired irrespective of reporting (I only have manual meter readings at the moment)

- Leaf 30 kWh
The tariff appears to work, had my first bill it shows charges for both rates and cross referring the EV charge-master logs , seems about right. Still annoyed I cannot get more details, as I'm trying to time shift my other devices to use the off peak.

Already missed the tariff changing time from 9 pm to 7 am to 10 pm to 8 am BST , so cost me couple of ££ charging early , again lack of details :(

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The tariff appears to work, had my first bill it shows charges for both rates and cross referring the EV charge-master logs , seems about right. Still annoyed I cannot get more details, as I'm trying to time shift my other devices to use the off peak.

Already missed the tariff changing time from 9 pm to 7 am to 10 pm to 8 am BST , so cost me couple of ££ charging early , again lack of details :(
Wait isn't the tariff on smart meter fixed at 2100 to 700 throughout the year? Is the DST being applied to those with smart meter?

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wait isn't the tariff on smart meter fixed at 2100 to 700 throughout the year? Is the DST being applied to those with smart meter?

- Leaf 30 kWh
This is the tariff info from EDF on my account

Frequently asked questions

What is a kWh (kilowatt-hour)?

A kilowatt-hour is one kilowatt of power being used for one hour. It is the same as a 40-watt light bulb being left on for 25 hours. We also call it a 'unit' of energy.

When do off peak rates apply?
You’ll be paying a lower rate for the electricity you use between 9pm and 7am (GMT) on weekdays, and all weekend. For all other times, you will pay our normal GoElectric tariff day rate. The off peak rates change during the summer to 10pm-8am BST on weekdays and all day weekends during BST.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
This is the tariff info from EDF on my account

Frequently asked questions

What is a kWh (kilowatt-hour)?

A kilowatt-hour is one kilowatt of power being used for one hour. It is the same as a 40-watt light bulb being left on for 25 hours. We also call it a 'unit' of energy.

When do off peak rates apply?
You’ll be paying a lower rate for the electricity you use between 9pm and 7am (GMT) on weekdays, and all weekend. For all other times, you will pay our normal GoElectric tariff day rate. The off peak rates change during the summer to 10pm-8am BST on weekdays and all day weekends during BST.
Cool thanks.. So exactly same as Eco 20:20 meter.

- Leaf 30 kWh

41 - 60 of 97 Posts
About this Discussion
96 Replies
25 Participants
Hermit Dave
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing