Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
EDF have just released an Economy 7 tariff of 5.66p & 19p daytime with 21.91p std charge, works out cheapest for my use thanks to solar & small battery back up system taking care of evening coverage ...
That would work well for me, which region are you in?
Hopefully there will be more very cheap off peak rates coming out.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
This is the tariff info from EDF on my account

Frequently asked questions

What is a kWh (kilowatt-hour)?

A kilowatt-hour is one kilowatt of power being used for one hour. It is the same as a 40-watt light bulb being left on for 25 hours. We also call it a 'unit' of energy.

When do off peak rates apply?
You’ll be paying a lower rate for the electricity you use between 9pm and 7am (GMT) on weekdays, and all weekend. For all other times, you will pay our normal GoElectric tariff day rate. The off peak rates change during the summer to 10pm-8am BST on weekdays and all day weekends during BST.
My smart meter display unit shows the rate changes to the 8p low rate at 9pn and back again at 7am.and its BST. So not sure where the error is but mine is working at correct times

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
EDF have just released an Economy 7 tariff of 5.66p & 19p daytime with 21.91p std charge, works out cheapest for my use thanks to solar & small battery back up system taking care of evening coverage ...
That maybe useful to replace my current EDF contract that expires on 30th September.
Could you please tell me the new name of the EDF Eco7 tariff is please ?????.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
My smart meter display unit shows the rate changes to the 8p low rate at 9pn and back again at 7am.and its BST. So not sure where the error is but mine is working at correct times
The guy i spoke to did say to me that some smart chargers were on GMT and to just check by looking at the meter.

·
Registered
582 Posts
That would work well for me, which region are you in?
Hopefully there will be more very cheap off peak rates coming out.
I'm in Northants area, I was struggling to find an E7 tariff close to my current one when this one popped up, I didn't fancy one of the smart meter tariffs after seeing the hassle some people are having on here... Once they get all the problems ironed out I'm sure one of these EV friendly smart meter tariffs will suit my circumstances but until then I'll stick to nice n simple E7 😀

·
Registered
582 Posts
That maybe useful to replace my current EDF contract that expires on 30th September.
Could you please tell me the new name of the EDF Eco7 tariff is please ?????.
You should get an email from them with tariff details, if not it should show up if you do a comparison online.. I was with EDF & current one ends 30 Sept too, they sent me an email with the new deal, think it's easy online v4 12 month fix or something...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Smart meters can cope with daylight saving. My E7 is between midnight and 7am all year.

Old clockwork or steam-driven meters wouldn't know the difference so always stay on GMT.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You should get an email from them with tariff details, if not it should show up if you do a comparison online.. I was with EDF & current one ends 30 Sept too, they sent me an email with the new deal, think it's easy online v4 12 month fix or something...
Thanks for the info @rikdud
I have not received an e.mail offer from EDF as of yet ?.
But if I use the Martin Lewis Energy Club, it does offer me the following deal from EDF.
EDF Energy
Simply Online 1 Year Fix Sep20v4.

Is this the same offer that you have please??.

Here is the rates for this offer :-
Unit Rate17.493p per kWh
Economy 7 unit rate9.996p per kWh
Standing charge22.575p per day
Tariff ends on30 Sep 2020

No where close to the rates you have been offered below ?.

"EDF have just released an Economy 7 tariff of 5.66p & 19p daytime with 21.91p std charge".

Am I looking at the same offer as you ?.

I live in the North Wales area.

I believe you have to agree to a "Smart Meter" also !.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks for the info @rikdud
I have not received an e.mail offer from EDF as of yet ?.
But if I use the Martin Lewis Energy Club, it does offer me the following deal from EDF.
EDF Energy
Simply Online 1 Year Fix Sep20v4.

Is this the same offer that you have please??.

Here is the rates for this offer :-
Unit Rate17.493p per kWh
Economy 7 unit rate9.996p per kWh
Standing charge22.575p per day
Tariff ends on30 Sep 2020

No where close to the rates you have been offered below ?.

"EDF have just released an Economy 7 tariff of 5.66p & 19p daytime with 21.91p std charge".

Am I looking at the same offer as you ?.

I live in the North Wales area.

I believe you have to agree to a "Smart Meter" also !.
It's the same name but my rates are different.. The rates I ended up with are slightly different to the ones I had direct from EDF as I went through Cheap Energy Club to get £25 cash back too..
The smart meter is optional, they keep trying but until they get it all running smoother I'll give em a miss..

Supplier EDF Energy
Tariff name Simply Online 1 Year Fix Sep20v4
Tariff type Fixed
Payment Method Monthly Direct Debit
Unit Rate 19.740p per kWh
Economy 7 unit rate 5.649p per kWh
Standing charge 21.966p per day
Tariff ends on
30 Sep 2020
Price guaranteed until
30 Sep 2020
Early Exit Fee (if you cancel this tariff before the end date) £35
Discounts None
Additional products or services included None

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I've jsut had a look at the cheap energy club and there's no cheap EDF E7 tariff showing for me. The only one they have listed is 10p/kWh overnight.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I've jsut had a look at the cheap energy club and there's no cheap EDF E7 tariff showing for me. The only one they have listed is 10p/kWh overnight.
The same for me ?????.
EDF have a "Goelectric" tariff, not as cheap as my present deal but I am pretty sure you have to have a Smart Meter installed !.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
The same for me ?????.
EDF have a "Goelectric" tariff, not as cheap as my present deal but I am pretty sure you have to have a Smart Meter installed !.
the GoElectric tarriff is a totally different thing to Eco7 as the cheaper hours are much longer, so the price split tends to Be narrower

with Eco7 your are just getting cheap rate 7 hours overnight

with GoElectric you are getting cheap rate 10 hours overnight and all day Saturday and Sunday as well, which makes a big difference if you have high weekend useage

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I found the EDF EV tariff quite difficult to find on their website, as stageshoot says it's very different to the "standard" E7 and similar tariffs that have a much shorter "off peak" duration that starts much later, and certainly not over the weekend.
And yes it does need a smart meter installed. Mine is due to be installed in 2 weeks time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The tariff appears to work, had my first bill it shows charges for both rates and cross referring the EV charge-master logs , seems about right. Still annoyed I cannot get more details, as I'm trying to time shift my other devices to use the off peak.

Already missed the tariff changing time from 9 pm to 7 am to 10 pm to 8 am BST , so cost me couple of ££ charging early , again lack of details :(
Do you know if that was actually a change in the tariff? I assumed it was a detail I had failed to notice originally (even though I tend not to miss such details as a rule).

If it is a change it would be good to know when it took effect. I would have thought that anyone who had committed to the tariff would be able to leave without penalty if such a change subsequently arose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you know if that was actually a change in the tariff? I assumed it was a detail I had failed to notice originally (even though I tend not to miss such details as a rule).

If it is a change it would be good to know when it took effect. I would have thought that anyone who had committed to the tariff would be able to leave without penalty if such a change subsequently arose.
Its in the faq of the tariff details in the EDF portal when I log in . I assume it is correct , since I have no smart meter details in the portal , difficult to confirm, without checking my smart monitor hardware . Mostly charge on the weekend. I have changed all my weekday charging schedules to 10pm just to be safe.

Do you have any visibility of the smart meter graphs in the portal or is just me ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found the EDF EV tariff quite difficult to find on their website, as stageshoot says it's very different to the "standard" E7 and similar tariffs that have a much shorter "off peak" duration that starts much later, and certainly not over the weekend.
And yes it does need a smart meter installed. Mine is due to be installed in 2 weeks time.
for reference the tariff is here

https://www.edfenergy.com/electric-cars/tariffs

·
Registered
34 Posts
That page clearly states, in the headline:

"The 100% renewable(1) GoElectric tariff offers half price off-peak electricity(2) for both your household and your electric car from 9pm until 7am on weekdays(3) and all weekend at just 8.01p/kWh(4) "

None of the (Notes) refer to this changing when the clocks go back/forward.

Increases my suspicion that this change to 10pm - 8am in Summer has been tacked on later.

I am still waiting to get on the tariff, so I can't check for myself. Are existing users getting the tariff from 9pm or 10pm, and if 10pm has it always been this way in summer?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
p
Do they leave you on your old tariff rates while you are waiting for your new Smart meter ?.
Or do they put you on a “Pant” standard variable rate while you are waiting for your meter install !.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just compared the paperwork I got by email when signing up (which they went through in detail on the phone) with the "tariff label" on our online account. The former says nothing about the times changing, and I would have remembered it if they had said it on the phone; the latter has the 10-8 BST note.

I'll try and remember to check tonight on the smart meter to see what the electricity is costing me between 9-10. If they have changed it without telling me, we'll be having words - in fact, I don't see that they have any right to do so on a fixed tariff. If they have changed it for new people, and only have the one tariff label so it doesn't precisely reflect what I am getting, that's less of an issue.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
It stays at 9pm to 7am.alm year it changes automatically with summertime

61 - 80 of 97 Posts
About this Discussion
96 Replies
25 Participants
Hermit Dave
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing