Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Checked 15 mins ago, so between 9 and 10 - I was drawing half a kw and paying 4p an hour, so getting the night rate as promised. So maybe something has changed for new people signing up; or possibly it’s just a SNAFU of some sort by the penpushers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Checked 15 mins ago, so between 9 and 10 - I was drawing half a kw and paying 4p an hour, so getting the night rate as promised. So maybe something has changed for new people signing up; or possibly it’s just a SNAFU of some sort by the penpushers.
I looked at my contract, dated 2nd of September, and it only mentions 9pm to 7am - nothing about it changing when the clocks go back/forward, no mention of BST or GMT. So if the cheap rate does in fact start from 10pm during BST contrary to the clear statement in the contract, it looks like a complaint to Ofgem will be justified.

Since I don't have a smart charger, nor a car which is capable of controlled charging period, my plan was to put the car on charge at 9pm, and take it off when I turn in at 11.30pm. I don't want to leave the car to charge up to 100% unless I have to, as that's not good battery management, and also a waste of energy as regenerative braking requires the battery to not be fully charged.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I looked at my contract, dated 2nd of September, and it only mentions 9pm to 7am - nothing about it changing when the clocks go back/forward, no mention of BST or GMT. So if the cheap rate does in fact start from 10pm during BST contrary to the clear statement in the contract, it looks like a complaint to Ofgem will be justified.

Since I don't have a smart charger, nor a car which is capable of controlled charging period, my plan was to put the car on charge at 9pm, and take it off when I turn in at 11.30pm. I don't want to leave the car to charge up to 100% unless I have to, as that's not good battery management, and also a waste of energy as regenerative braking requires the battery to not be fully charged.
You like myself are on Go Electric without smartmeter?

I have old Eco 20:20 meter. That doesn't have any daylight saving knowledge and runs from 2100 GMT to 700 GMT. When clock changes (are an hour later as we are GMT+1) the cheaper rates are from 2200 to 800.

Once you have smartmeter it's 2100 to 700 from what I understood

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
52 Posts
You like myself are on Go Electric without smartmeter?

I have old Eco 20:20 meter. That doesn't have any daylight saving knowledge and runs from 2100 GMT to 700 GMT. When clock changes (are an hour later as we are GMT+1) the cheaper rates are from 2200 to 800.

Once you have smartmeter it's 2100 to 700 from what I understood
No, they wouldn't let me on the tariff until it is installed. So I am currently on the ridiculously (18p/unit) tariff which they insisted on while I wait. I didn't know anyone had managed to access the tariff without one.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
No, they wouldn't let me on the tariff until it is installed. So I am currently on the ridiculously (18p/unit) tariff which they insisted on while I wait. I didn't know anyone had managed to access the tariff without one.
Like I said I have a meter that this tariff tries to emulate with smartmeter :p
On tuesday after 10 years of having ECO 20:20 meter, EDF are replacing it with SMETS2

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting to come across this post. I have just started on the EDF goElectric tariff. I had a smart meter installed (although they didn’t leave me the display as the engineer couldn’t get it to connect so they are supposedly coming back...).

I have been (perhaps a little obsessively) watching the meter. I noticed this evening that after 9pm is still said Rate 01. So I went back to check at 10pm and it had switched to Rate 02 as had noticed on the weekend.

I was lead to believe that it was 9pm - 7am. Although noted they state “9pm GMT” on the website which is “10pm BST” so when the UK switches to BST I guess technically they stay in GMT....

Having read around it seems quite a common thing with peak/off-peak type tariffs.

Edit: although having said that I now can’t for the life of me find mention of GMT....

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yey, finally on EDF GoElectric Single Rate tariff. Seemed the best option as it avoids a hefty exit fee and my car can't be setup for timed charging for E7 etc. Gas a tiny bit more but electricity much less, don't use much gas as house very well insulated. DD coming down :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interesting to come across this post. I have just started on the EDF goElectric tariff. I had a smart meter installed (although they didn’t leave me the display as the engineer couldn’t get it to connect so they are supposedly coming back...).

I have been (perhaps a little obsessively) watching the meter. I noticed this evening that after 9pm is still said Rate 01. So I went back to check at 10pm and it had switched to Rate 02 as had noticed on the weekend.

I was lead to believe that it was 9pm - 7am. Although noted they state “9pm GMT” on the website which is “10pm BST” so when the UK switches to BST I guess technically they stay in GMT....

Having read around it seems quite a common thing with peak/off-peak type tariffs.

Edit: although having said that I now can’t for the life of me find mention of GMT....
No, I can't find any mention of GMT, and also have a look at your contract. If it's the same as mine that doesn't say anything about GMT either.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Smart meters installed. Display syncing correctly. Found a fault with gas supply.
Cadence (gas grid) will be moving the meter from enclosed storage to outdoors.
Also they identified gas leak in the boiler so gas meter has a disc and boiler off

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm glad I came accross this thread. I've just signed up to octopus electricity and their 5p / kw between 0030-0430. However with a 30KW leaf which I'll regularly be driving 60 miles I think in the winter it'll take longer than 4 hours to charge (getting the 3.6KW charger). The real bonus though is off peak weekends; with kids we tend to use a lot of electricity. 14p vs 8p is a fair difference. I might swap to this before octopus starts.

However... we do have solar pannels. There are lots of variables to consider!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I'm glad I came accross this thread. I've just signed up to octopus electricity and their 5p / kw between 0030-0430. However with a 30KW leaf which I'll regularly be driving 60 miles I think in the winter it'll take longer than 4 hours to charge (getting the 3.6KW charger). The real bonus though is off peak weekends; with kids we tend to use a lot of electricity. 14p vs 8p is a fair difference. I might swap to this before octopus starts.

However... we do have solar pannels. There are lots of variables to consider!
If you have panels of consider battery storage. And using what you can. Exporting is rubbish.

I've been happily this (and similar) tariff for over 10 years now. Overall 25k kWh peak usage and 42k kWh off peak usage. The meter got swapped today so that's final reading from Eco 20:20 dual rate meter.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you have panels of consider battery storage. And using what you can. Exporting is rubbish.

I've been happily this (and similar) tariff for over 10 years now. Overall 25k kWh peak usage and 42k kWh off peak usage. The meter got swapped today so that's final reading from Eco 20:20 dual rate meter.

- Leaf 30 kWh
I've got an immersun which puts (what would be) exported electricity into the boiler. I don't think currently battery storage is worth it is it?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I've got an immersun which puts (what would be) exported electricity into the boiler. I don't think currently battery storage is worth it is it?
I agree using it for water is better than export however depending upon you peak rate and day time usage, battery would have a better return.

Though battery is a significant investment and returns take much longer

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree using it for water is better than export however depending upon you peak rate and day time usage, battery would have a better return.

Though battery is a significant investment and returns take much longer

- Leaf 30 kWh
Bear in mind that if you have an EV parked outside your house, you have battery storage. If you use solar power to heat water, then you are effectively being paid per unit whatever you pay for the gas that would have heated the water otherwise. If you can organize to use the excess solar to charge the car's battery then you're saving the electricity unit rate, which should be higher.

Eventually, we'll be able to take power from the EV battery as well as add it, and have V2G smart metering which will allow the networks to pay us for having our cars connected to the grid at peak times (early evening), so that the grid can use them as a resource to satisfy demand peaks. Then we can charge back up during the low-demand period overnight. In theory in this scenario, the networks would also pay powerwall users for access to the battery.

The technology is available to achieve this, and it's already happening in Norway and California. The only thing that could go wrong is if the government gets hold of it and turns it into another decade-wasting smart-metering fiasco.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Bear in mind that if you have an EV parked outside your house, you have battery storage. If you use solar power to heat water, then you are effectively being paid per unit whatever you pay for the gas that would have heated the water otherwise. If you can organize to use the excess solar to charge the car's battery then you're saving the electricity unit rate, which should be higher.

Eventually, we'll be able to take power from the EV battery as well as add it, and have V2G smart metering which will allow the networks to pay us for having our cars connected to the grid at peak times (early evening), so that the grid can use them as a resource to satisfy demand peaks. Then we can charge back up during the low-demand period overnight. In theory in this scenario, the networks would also pay powerwall users for access to the battery.

The technology is available to achieve this, and it's already happening in Norway and California. The only thing that could go wrong is if the government gets hold of it and turns it into another decade-wasting smart-metering fiasco.
True. If your car is parked at home during solar hours then definitely use the power generated to charge it. I think in most instances that's unlikely for office drones but yes for those not working or having multiple cars yes this would be great.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
130 Posts
Had some correspondence with EDF about this - apparently it’s possible for the display to be showing a switch to the lower rate at 9pm but the meter to show it not actually switching until 10 during BST (and the meter being right). I didn’t know it was even possible for the meter and the display to differ, and can’t understand how they can. Am away at the moment, but will check mine when I get back. It has flummoxed EDF as well, who are looking into it.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Had some correspondence with EDF about this - apparently it’s possible for the display to be showing a switch to the lower rate at 9pm but the meter to show it not actually switching until 10 during BST (and the meter being right). I didn’t know it was even possible for the meter and the display to differ, and can’t understand how they can. Am away at the moment, but will check mine when I get back. It has flummoxed EDF as well, who are looking into it.
Hi Astolat do you know where/ what on the meter shows it switching?
My new smart meter was installed today, apparently it takes a couple of days after that for the new tariff to kick in, and when it has i'd like to know what time is "really" off-peak so i dont start charging at 9pm when 10pm is needed rather than discover it in 6 months time !

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
You are right here. My display shows tariff change based at 2100 and 700 though meter shows tariff change at 2200 and 800.

- Leaf 30 kWh

81 - 100 of 184 Posts