Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 120 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Hi Astolat do you know where/ what on the meter shows it switching?
My new smart meter was installed today, apparently it takes a couple of days after that for the new tariff to kick in, and when it has i'd like to know what time is "really" off-peak so i dont start charging at 9pm when 10pm is needed rather than discover it in 6 months time !
The meter displays Rate 1/2

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Just had a look, the in house gizmo is saying I'm on 8p/unit but the meter outside says "Rate 01".
I'll see what happens over the weekend and especially on Monday.
I am expecting it to say Rate 02 when its properly switched over, is that correct?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Just had a look, the in house gizmo is saying I'm on 8p/unit but the meter outside says "Rate 01".
I'll see what happens over the weekend and especially on Monday.
I am expecting it to say Rate 02 when its properly switched over, is that correct?
Is wait until 2200 and check should be rate 2

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
18 Posts
I checked mine at 9 pm last night and it was still on rate 1.

I checked again at 10pm and it was still rate 1.

At 1045 when I went to bed it was rate 2.

IV put a complaint into EDF this morning. As at 9pm every night at turn everything on, washing machine dishwasher iron etc.

IV taken photos of the smart display history to show what we should have paid as this is reporting the cost as if it had changed at 9 pm.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I've just noticed the time on my indoor meter is GMT so I'd expect it to be changing on GMT not BST.
Pity you didn't look at the meter a minute or two later re switching over at 10 unless you meant say five past ten? .
But if you meant exactly ten then a minute or two later would be prudent to double check?
What time is showing on your indoor display, GMT or BST?
I don't believe you are the first to post a discrepancy between what the meter says and what the gizmo reports. Which is very very poor practice they should have not allowed to go out the door before they instaleld these things.
I'll check my rates Monday morning if I remember, if it is based on GMT it should switch at 8am "local time".
P.s you are ironing at 9pm?

EDIT; Doh! Just seen HermitDave said it was GMT a month ago. So, 10pm to 8am for the next month.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
What time is it?

Because after being on GMT this morning, at some time and by about 1pm, the in home display unit changed to BST with no input from me !

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Here's my conclusion from looking at the meter.
1. The in house gizmo is set to local time and reports the cost based on that however it lies because the cost is determined by the meter.
2. The meter doesn't switch over exactly at the advertised times. For example,this morning mine switched over some time between 0804 and 0815 (BST). Why not 0800 exactly?
3. The different rates are as per GMT hence this is very confusing taking into account the lying gizmo as in point 1.

It's all a bit amateur. I'm going to ask the EDF EV team for their comments.

p.s. if the gizmo just had the time settable as GMT that would fix 90% of this

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just had a call from them. They are investigating further however it would appear they cannot change the problem.

They said they are going to write to everyone on this tariff to advise them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here's my conclusion from looking at the meter.
1. The in house gizmo is set to local time and reports the cost based on that however it lies because the cost is determined by the meter.
2. The meter doesn't switch over exactly at the advertised times. For example,this morning mine switched over some time between 0804 and 0815 (BST). Why not 0800 exactly?
3. The different rates are as per GMT hence this is very confusing taking into account the lying gizmo as in point 1.

It's all a bit amateur. I'm going to ask the EDF EV team for their comments.

p.s. if the gizmo just had the time settable as GMT that would fix 90% of this
I thought it was the smart meter which talked to the electricity company? But it's actually the meter itself?!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Are we talking at cross purposes? The smart meter is the meter. part of it connects to the power co and sends readings (and receives updates)
EDIT: Are you thinking the display in the house is the smart meter? If so, its not, its just an appendage to the smart meter which replaces your old meter. Indeed the display seems to be very unsmart.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
So,
i got an answer from EDF
Reason for the timing discrepancy is this is how smart meters work to avoid surges all coming on a precise time such as all at (say) 9pm. The meter picks a random time once between 11 min before to 11 min after the hour. After that it sticks to that time, say 3 min before. So you can predict it once you've worked it out. Or, just make sure your car doesnt start charging until at least 11 min past the switch over time.
Regards the pricing display, as posted here before the answer is "look at the meter" which makes a mockery of the In House Display (IHD) which is meant to make us all switch our ovens off or whatever. BUt this doesnt seem to be an EDF thing especially. The IHD is basically just a glossy appendage I'm not sure I'd really trust it.
Maybe one quiet day I'll charge the car and see if the meter and IHD think i consumed the same amount..
Catering for BST/GMT on the IHD doesnt seem to be a particularly difficult thing to have programmed in does it? But someone missed that.
Oh well in 4 weeks time i guess it will be accurate(ish) for 6 months :unsure:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Anyone know how to see seperate tariff meter readings either on the in home display or the meter? (or even the EDF website)
I can see an overall reading but cant see how much was used on each tariff.
Cheers
Joe

·
Registered
52 Posts
Final update:
July 23rd: Applied to switch (was on Bulb)
Aug 12th: Switch complete to EDF standard tariff
Aug 29th: Today. Still waiting to begin switch to EV tariff.
Sep 3rd: given SMETS2 appointment
Oct 2nd: SMETS2 installed smoothly, switch completed same day
=10 weeks, 1 day.

I immediately discover that Rate 2 doesn't begin until 10pm, contrary to the contract which says 9pm with no mention of GMT or BST, so my plans to top up the car, do the laundry etc. after the kids settle down, but before my own bedtime are blown out of the water.

Anyone else pursuing a complaint with EDF or OFGEM over this?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Final update:
July 23rd: Applied to switch (was on Bulb)
Aug 12th: Switch complete to EDF standard tariff
Aug 29th: Today. Still waiting to begin switch to EV tariff.
Sep 3rd: given SMETS2 appointment
Oct 2nd: SMETS2 installed smoothly, switch completed same day
=10 weeks, 1 day.

I immediately discover that Rate 2 doesn't begin until 10pm, contrary to the contract which says 9pm with no mention of GMT or BST, so my plans to top up the car, do the laundry etc. after the kids settle down, but before my own bedtime are blown out of the water.

Anyone else pursuing a complaint with EDF or OFGEM over this?
I knew about it being 2100 GMT. I clarified it with the team before signup. I mentioned it here at least twice.

I tend to use timer for washing machine , dishwasher and car. Most comes on after midnight as Carbon intensity is far lower at that time.

When clocks change (winter time) , the low rate will start at 9pm.

- Leaf 30 kWh

101 - 120 of 184 Posts