Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
They acknowledge they haven’t worked it out, the email says it’s based on the length of time you’ve been in the tariff. I’m just wondering where the dividing line between £30 and £40 - or indeed nothing - is.
How long you have been on tariff with smartmeter and your consumption would be guess.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have a old type electric meter so I emailed EDF about it and go the reply below

We’ve checked the details of your electricity meter and we’re sorry to inform you that it’s not compatible with our two-rate GoElectric tariff. This is because we would need to install a smart meter to accurately measure your usage during the unique off peak hours of the tariff. However, there is currently no smart meter signal in your area, so it would not work correctly if we were to install it at your property.

We know this is disappointing, so we’ve developed and recently launched a single-rate version of the tariff exclusively for customers in your situation, which will work with the meter you have installed. Although it does not offer an off-peak rate, the unit price that applies all day is designed to be extremely competitive, which provides a very similar overall bill price to that of the two-rate version (based on an assumed usage split of 60% off-peak & 40% peak). The prices are also fixed until January 2021.
Fuel: Electricity
Tariff Name: GoElectric Jan21 Single Rate
Fixed Until: 31/01/2021
Daily Standing Charge: 30.01p per day
Unit Rate: 11.59p per kWh
Exit Fee: £ 30

Fuel: Gas
Tariff Name: GoElectric Jan21
Daily Standing Charge: 26.52p per day
Unit Rate: 3.579p per kWh

All prices include 5% VAT

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I was with iSupply until July and the low rate was 12p since last October. This isn't a bad deal at all.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a old type electric meter so I emailed EDF about it and go the reply below

We’ve checked the details of your electricity meter and we’re sorry to inform you that it’s not compatible with our two-rate GoElectric tariff. This is because we would need to install a smart meter to accurately measure your usage during the unique off peak hours of the tariff. However, there is currently no smart meter signal in your area, so it would not work correctly if we were to install it at your property.

We know this is disappointing, so we’ve developed and recently launched a single-rate version of the tariff exclusively for customers in your situation, which will work with the meter you have installed. Although it does not offer an off-peak rate, the unit price that applies all day is designed to be extremely competitive, which provides a very similar overall bill price to that of the two-rate version (based on an assumed usage split of 60% off-peak & 40% peak). The prices are also fixed until January 2021.
Fuel: Electricity
Tariff Name: GoElectric Jan21 Single Rate
Daily Standing Charge: 30.01p per day
Unit Rate: 11.59p per kWh

Fuel: Gas
Tariff Name: GoElectric Jan21
Daily Standing Charge: 26.52p per day
Unit Rate: 3.579p per kWh

All prices include 5% VAT
The electricity price isnt too bad. 30p for standing charge is a little higher than Octopus go, 5p per day.

The gas rate on the other hand is a lot. Switch to SO Energy gas. They are 22p standing charge and 2.79p per kWh for gas.

I have a similar link for so energy for their £40 each referral scheme if you're wanting to go with them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Really interested to see how people get on with this tariff as it's the one we've been eyeing up when our EV arrives in November.

Our thought process it would benefit our home, rather than just the car. If it were just the car then I'd probably get a different tariff.

Is that the general consensus on this EDF tariff?

·
Registered
104 Posts
For me the single rate EDF tariff is way too much because of the standing charges and gas price per kWh. The Octopus Tracker variable rate tariff knocks out every dual fuel tariff I've looked at.

Note Price may be different for your postcode.

John.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Really interested to see how people get on with this tariff as it's the one we've been eyeing up when our EV arrives in November.

Our thought process it would benefit our home, rather than just the car. If it were just the car then I'd probably get a different tariff.

I've been on this tariff for over 10 years now. I signed up with EDF 20:20 in 2009 and since then we do most of the electricity consumption in the evenings and weekends. Despite having an induction hob, peak usage is less than off peak.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Bit of info, my In Home Display has stopped communicating with the smart meter, its ona reboot loop, every 5 to 10 mins it restarts and when ist not doing that it says "waiting for connection".
I called EDF and apparent this is a general problem with the display, they dont know whats causing it but there are many customers with this issue.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Bit of info, my In Home Display has stopped communicating with the smart meter, its ona reboot loop, every 5 to 10 mins it restarts and when ist not doing that it says "waiting for connection".
I called EDF and apparent this is a general problem with the display, they dont know whats causing it but there are many customers with this issue.
Not just EDF but across all suppliers. I was told by Octopus that the DCC's systems are being overwhelmed with apparent IHD fault notifications.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Its been very easy for us to move a lot of consumption to overnight and weekends. Dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer , obviously car all weekends and nights now so half price but without the faff of doing everything at night.
I would have thought this would be even mpre suited to the typical family with people at work in the week home at weekend so most use at weekends anyway (I'm retired so weekends arent "special" for me).
If i need to charge the car at the weekend then i dont need to think about the time. Not an issue for me with my low mileage but i'd imagine that would work well with quite a few.
I had looked at other tariffs but didn't fancy being restricted to mainly use stuff at night.
Now its just background consumption from fridge/freezer/TV and lights. And heating soon I suppose.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
For me the single rate EDF tariff is way too much because of the standing charges and gas price per kWh. The Octopus Tracker variable rate tariff knocks out every dual fuel tariff I've looked at.

View attachment 123942

Note Price may be different for your postcode.

John.
As you say, price does indeed vary with postcode. I am currently on Octopus Agile for electricity. A very neat 99p App (Octopus Energy Watchdog) shows a rolling 30days consumption.

Total Cost £36.79

Stdg Charge £6.30 (£0.21p/day)

Average Unit Price: £0.96p/kWh

It does require some usage changes. For example, for a time last week, the unit cost was £0.036/kWh - yes 3.6p - so it was dishwasher; washing machine and car on charge. For most of the daylight hours, the cost per kWh is c.£0.1 (10p/kWh). As we have a gas hob, we can avoid much of the peak time.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
All SMETS2 meters connect to the Data Communications Company (DCC) run by Capita. Suppliers then receive encrypted data from the DCC to use for billing purposes.
OK thanks. So are you saying this is a SmartMeter issue rather than an IHD issue?
Because otherwise where do DCC come into it if its an issue between the IHD and the SM ?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Hmmm. Do we know how this is worked out? I’ve been on the tariff for over two months and I’ve been credited £30, not £40.

What annoyed me was this idea that they were “clarifying” the information. It’s clear from the email conversations I’ve had with them that they simply didn’t know it was going to work thIs way, or they would have said so in the original T&Cs.

Plus, whether this is additional to previous payments obviously depends on how much you complained ...
I got £30 as well, had been on it less than a month I think.

·
Registered
104 Posts
As you say, price does indeed vary with postcode. I am currently on Octopus Agile for electricity. A very neat 99p App (Octopus Energy Watchdog) shows a rolling 30days consumption.

Total Cost £36.79

Stdg Charge £6.30 (£0.21p/day)

Average Unit Price: £0.96p/kWh

It does require some usage changes. For example, for a time last week, the unit cost was £0.036/kWh - yes 3.6p - so it was dishwasher; washing machine and car on charge. For most of the daylight hours, the cost per kWh is c.£0.1 (10p/kWh). As we have a gas hob, we can avoid much of the peak time.
I hope you've missed a zero out on your avarage unit price - You're showing 96p/kWh. o_O

John.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
OK thanks. So are you saying this is a SmartMeter issue rather than an IHD issue?
Because otherwise where do DCC come into it if its an issue between the IHD and the SM ?
The IHD connects directly to your smart meter. If the IHD loses connection, then an error message is sent by the smart meter to the DCC as is the case if your gas meter battery needs replacing; over/under voltage is detected etc. As appropriate, the DCC then informs your supplier that there is an IHD issue. I was told that the management of smart meter billing and fault resolution is made more difficult because there are a number of parties involved in the various data flows. For example, I understand that Octopus uses a company called TMA.

Also, the Government’s (GCHQ) insistence on layered security across the smart meter network and GDPR between parties is adding to the complexity of fault resolution. SMETS1 meters bypassed most of these issues.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
With regard the £30 or £40 payments for the billing hours. Has this been credited to accounts yet as oures is not showing despite getting the £40 email

141 - 159 of 159 Posts