Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Waiting for C Class estate 350e...
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at swapping my energy tariffs for my forthcoming EV delivery

As i am getting the E-Tron (100KW) battery, and intend charging on my home 7Kw charger, so will be using 10-12 hours off peak on econ 7 with existing tariff.

They are offering this :

Fuel: Electricity
Tariff Name: GoElectric Jan21
Fixed Until: 31/01/2021
Daily Standing Charge: 27.14p per day
Day Unit Rate: 17.22p per kWh
Evening/Weekend Unit Rate: 8p per kWh

BUT the evening/weekend rate is for active on weeknights from 9pm to 7am (GMT) and all weekend from 9pm Friday evening through to 7am Monday.

I that is about 90 hours a week at 8p, does that look as good as i think it does ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is a pretty good deal - I considered it but you may need to take into account the related gas tariff if you have dual fuel. The gas price on this tariff is about 50% more expensive than other deals out there, and any savings I could make on the electricity were more than wiped out by the simultaneous increase in my gas bill. .

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've looked at this tariff and I don't like EDF's vague promise of getting the Go Electric rates. Basically, switch to us and we'll see whether we want to give it to you. No thanks EDF. ?
That's my concern...no timescale for the smart meter fitting that's required. They have offered me an "interim rate" of c30p/day standing charge and 12.7p per unit so might be worth risking it, however I'm uncomfortable with the open ended timescale of getting the meter / full tariff.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Regulator switched us to EDF when Toto ceased trading. Lots of emails/letters telling me we would see no difference in tariff once switched to them. Took about 10 weeks to get sorted, in the meantime my tariffs had increased on electric and gone down on gas but daily charge for gas/elec had doubled (£100 per year extra) One direct debit taken and then cancelled by EDF. Spoke to customer service who were very sympathetic but pretty powerless to do anything as the Toto team would not speak to customers managed to get a £20 credit added to my account which on my calculations just about covers any difference in costs. Now switching to Yorkshire energy who will be about £200 per year less than the EDF tariff mainly daily charge savings fixed for 18 months.
Was contemplating EDF before this for EV rate but this has put me off.
My mother in law was switched to Octopus when co-op sold them there customers and switched in a matter of days totally different experience.
Looking to get Model Y once it becomes available and will see what EV rates are around then, can see this market increasing in the future.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Honestly I'd go onto Octopus Agile rather than that (Then again, I guess i did ?).

The average price has been around 10p a kWh for the last year, and if you can avoid the peak between 4 and 7pm each day it's even less. Standing charge is 21p a day. Overnight is normally around the 7p mark, but the low prices are normally from around midnight until 7am.

... And the gas tariff price is alright too.

The current problem is the delay in smart meters but that's true for everyone i think.

Www.energy-stats.uk is a great site to play with when it comes to octopus tariffs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's my concern...no timescale for the smart meter fitting that's required. They have offered me an "interim rate" of c30p/day standing charge and 12.7p per unit so might be worth risking it, however I'm uncomfortable with the open ended timescale of getting the meter / full tariff.
Hmm... 30p standing charge is high IMHO. EDF's lure of around 90 hours p/w at the low rate, which includes ALL weekend, is very attractive but is anyone on the GoElectric tariff yet??? I haven't done the maths yet but I think Octopus' Agile tariff would work out better (YMMV) and it encourages you to avoid periods of peak demand.

·
Waiting for C Class estate 350e...
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm... 30p standing charge is high IMHO. EDF's lure of around 90 hours p/w at the low rate, which includes ALL weekend, is very attractive but is anyone on the GoElectric tariff yet??? I haven't done the maths yet but I think Octopus' Agile tariff would work out better (YMMV) and it encourages you to avoid periods of peak demand.
The 8p for the whole weekend is what attracts me too.

I already have energy from edf, i have a SMETS2 meter. They have confirmed that I CAN none onto the tariff so I think I might give it a whirl..

The burning question that I have already asked but not had a reply to is can I move JUST my electricity and take my has elsewhere.

We are high users of gas (28k kWh per Annum) so that is also quite a factor..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
Whether the EDF tarif f is better for you than Octopus Go or Agile really depends on how many off peak charging hours you will actually need in practice, ie what is you usage pattern and how much peak rate charging (if any) would you actually need if you only had four, five or seven hours of cheap rate charging available?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been on the EDF tariff since November and it's been good for me. My off-peak usage is pretty much double my day usage at the moment with more to do for me to improve that. I was already with EDF though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've been on the EDF tariff since November and it's been good for me. My off-peak usage is pretty much double my day usage at the moment with more to do for me to improve that. I was already with EDF though.
Yes, I guess it will be good for some and seems like it's working for you. I think one of the issues hampering many people is the sloooooooww roll-out of SMETS2 meters. ?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'm with Bulb, on E7. They have been true to their word and reduced rates when costs have gone down. Whenever I'm stopped in the street by energy sales guys, as soon as I mention Bulb they hold up their hands in despair and back off.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Marks and Spencer seem to be selling energy linked to Octopus - not sure if it includes EV tariff.
Having experienced a protracted attempt to get on an EV tariff with my current provider (Scottish Power) the following may help:
  • some providers only let you have the EV tariff if you are on dual fuel and have smart meters for both gas and electricity
  • the smart meters sometimes need to be Smet 2 rather than Smet1
  • Gas rates can often be high so do full calculations if you use gas central heating
  • ditto relating to standing charges
At present I have found it cheaper to stick with a good fixed duel fuel rate rather than use one linked to an EV rate. But that is due to my gas consumption, solar and battery storage system. If we get another EV that might change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All
Been looking into changing from scottish power all day. looked at bulb and others but feel EDS Tarif for users of EVs and there 8p cheap rate looks fine for our house hold use. Just get the Lady of the house to change to putting all her appliances on after 9pm and our other electrical power usage will help with the added savings over night and week ends and tip it in my favor.
i dont think Scottish power saved me much when i changed from British gas so here goes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For what it’s worth, I’ve got an e-tron, and I don’t think you need as long as you reckon to charge. I usually only end up charging from 25%(ish)-80% and I get 7.3kw from my charger, so max 7hrs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The 8p for the whole weekend is what attracts me too.

I already have energy from edf, i have a SMETS2 meter. They have confirmed that I CAN none onto the tariff so I think I might give it a whirl..

The burning question that I have already asked but not had a reply to is can I move JUST my electricity and take my has elsewhere.

We are high users of gas (28k kWh per Annum) so that is also quite a factor..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I would seriously look at Octopus Agile.
Daytime rates tend to be 7-10p/ kWh - provided you can avoid the 4-7pm peak.
Overnight rates, generally 3-7p/kWh

I am averaging 8.15p/kWh since I switched. We are high electricity and gas users.
Electricity with Octopus energy, referral link if you want to use: Octopus Energy
Gas with So Energy, referral link if you want to use: Switch to So Energy for less

See screenshots below for my electricity usage and costs over the last 30 days and also what I am paying tonight - usually very low when it is very windy.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It is a pretty good deal - I considered it but you may need to take into account the related gas tariff if you have dual fuel. The gas price on this tariff is about 50% more expensive than other deals out there, and any savings I could make on the electricity were more than wiped out by the simultaneous increase in my gas bill.
You don't normally have to take both gas & electricity from the same supplier.

It seems to be expected that you do but it's very rare that any supplier would say you must have our gas else we won't sell you electricity (or vice versa). Once upon a time you could expect a discount if one supplier did both but it seems that nowadays the dual fuel account is designed to tempt you with one part of the package & hope you don't notice the other.:devilish:

1 - 20 of 82 Posts