Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there
New to the forum but have had a recent problem and really need advice for someone who knows! I am just loving my Mercedes EQC and up to now thought I had got to grips with charging etc, however, EDF recently fitted a smart meter and replaced the external meter box to boot. Since then my pod point has been tripping out, meaning I cannot charge at home. I've been in touch with EDF how believe its nothing to do with them, recommended getting an electrician out to fix what must be an internal problem (never before seen before this work was done). Anyone else have the same issue? If you did what route did you take? Frankly a smart meter which was supposed to save me money has in fact landed me a bill! TIA

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Welcome.

Any chance of one or two photos showing the area that EDF worked on and the connection point for the charge point, please?

The connection point is where the cable from the charge point connects to the installation, probably via a dedicated box that is connected to the meter tails, or it might possibly go back to the main consumer unit.

From the description is sounds as if somehow there may have been something done that has perhaps caused an earth leakage problem somehow. Hard to understand how a meter change could do that, but anything is possible if things have been moved around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome.

Any chance of one or two photos showing the area that EDF worked on and the connection point for the charge point, please?

The connection point is where the cable from the charge point connects to the installation, probably via a dedicated box that is connected to the meter tails, or it might possibly go back to the main consumer unit.

From the description is sounds as if somehow there may have been something done that has perhaps caused an earth leakage problem somehow. Hard to understand how a meter change could do that, but anything is possible if things have been moved around.
Welcome.

Welcome.

Many thanks for getting back to me so fast, here is a photograph of inside the box the meter of the left is the one that EDF replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Welcome.

Could you clarify what is 'tripping out'? Is it an RCD or MCB in the EV DB box to the right of your meter (that you have to physically reset), or is it 'just' stopping with an error message / error light on the charger?

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
As above, knowing whether it's the charge point throwing an error or the RCD/RCBO in the connection box tripping would be useful. If it's the former, then I suspect they may have just fitted the CT the wrong way around, if it's the latter, then a photo showing what's in the connection box might give a clue (just lift the hinged cover so we can see what's been fitted).

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
That sounds as if there is a earth leakage fault on the charge point circuit somewhere. The fact that it happens as soon as you connect the car suggests that there's leakage through the car somehow, and that suggests something at the charge point end, rather than the supply end. Only way to track it down is to get someone in to fault find, starting with a visual check with the covers off both ends (and as you have no isolator switch fitted that means a competent person has to do this at the EV DB end, as that cannot be safely isolated). If a visual check doesn't pick up anything, then it's a matter of disconnecting the charge point to do an IR test on the supply cable, and if that is OK then the next stage would be to test the RCBO from the disconnected charge point end, just to rule out an RCBO fault. If that turns out to be OK then it's almost certainly a fault within the charge point.

Hard to see what the meter change can have done to cause that, but as there's no isolation switch fitted then perhaps something may have happened to the charge point when the main fuse was pulled to do the meter change. It shouldn't be bothered by a supply interuption like this, but pulling the fuse under load (which they are not supposed to do) can produce some arcing, and it's possible that's caused a problem. I have seen EMI and surge suppressors decide to fail when there's been arcing on a supply, although proving that arcing at the main fuse was the cause in your case would be near impossible.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
909 Posts
... and replaced the external meter box to boot
What did you mean by this? Your first photo show the inside of a standard meter box. Has the whole box been replaced? It doesn't look like it.

In any case, it's difficult to see how replacing the meter, which would just mean reconnecting the tails to your mini-consumer unit in the box, could lead to the fault you are getting. (As @Jeremy Harris has just posted.)

I note that your charge point installer has put the consumer unit for the EV charge point inside the meter box. Most (all?) DNOs (distribution network operators) forbid this (but many turn a blind eye I think). But its presence and the questionable routing of the cable to the charge point makes me think it's worth considering the quality of the installation. Installing the new meter could have disturbed something?

In any event, it feels to me as though the problem lies in the charging installation rather than the meter replacement and the occurrence of the fault at the same time could have been coincidental? I agree that someone needs to inspect the whole charge point installation.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
The meter box is now an interesting area, but the DNO has no authority to stop anything going in the box, as the box belongs to the consumer. Meter operators don't like stuff in them, as they like to have room to put whatever they like in there, but even the biggest smart meter, the one with the additional box at the side, still leaves room inside a standard meter box.

There are also some regs that come into play that pretty much force things into the meter box. For example, it's not permitted to have tails longer than 3m without over current protection (and the main fuse doesn't count). This means fitting a switched fuse in there if long tails are used. Also, if the tails are run in an area where they require protection (say, inside a cavity wall) then that also requires either a box to terminate protected cable (i.e SWA) and/or cable protection devices.

Our installation is a good example. The meter box is around 15m from the CU, and the supply from the meter box to the CU is 25mm² SWA, because it runs underground and through an internal wall where the supply cable requires mechanical protection. The SWA needs terminating within an enclosure, and also needs over current protection because it is over 3m long, so the only real choice was to fit a box in the meter cabinet,

In terms of who owns what, the the DNO only owns the incoming cable and fuse, and, perhaps, any additional backing board the fuse is mounted on (often a small sloping section under the fuse), nothing else. The meter operator/electricity supplier owns the meter and the tails that connect from the main fuse to the meter. They do not own anything else. The consumer owns the tails that come from the meter, the meter box itself and all whole installation down stream of that. The consumer is required to provide and install an approved meter box when the installation is first connected, and either the DNO or the meter operator/electricity supplier can refuse to install their equipment is the box does not meet their requirements.

Technically, there is nothing in any regulation that states that consumers must not put equipment in the meter box, after all, it belongs to them anyway. The two other parties do have the right to veto the fitment of any new equipment, though, if the consumer has not ensured that there is enough room in their box for that equipment to be fitted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your comments and advice I guess this one is back to pod point to see if they can resolve the issue. It appears that the fitting of the new meter and the issues I'm now experienced are just a coincidence. Have contacted PPoint who have advised they will treat this as a priority but as yet no timeframe - which causes me concern given it took over 45 minutes to get through to them yesterday

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What did you mean by this? Your first photo show the inside of a standard meter box. Has the whole box been replaced? It doesn't look like it.

In any case, it's difficult to see how replacing the meter, which would just mean reconnecting the tails to your mini-consumer unit in the box, could lead to the fault you are getting. (As @Jeremy Harris has just posted.)

I note that your charge point installer has put the consumer unit for the EV charge point inside the meter box. Most (all?) DNOs (distribution network operators) forbid this (but many turn a blind eye I think). But its presence and the questionable routing of the cable to the charge point makes me think it's worth considering the quality of the installation. Installing the new meter could have disturbed something?

In any event, it feels to me as though the problem lies in the charging installation rather than the meter replacement and the occurrence of the fault at the same time could have been coincidental? I agree that someone needs to inspect the whole charge point installation.

The meter on the left hand side of the original picture was replaced entirely by EDf when they fitted the smart meter last week, the actual box the two devices are in has stayed the same.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
909 Posts
The meter on the left hand side of the original picture was replaced entirely by EDf when they fitted the smart meter last week, the actual box the two devices are in has stayed the same.
Just confusion in terminology. To me, the meter is the meter and the meter box is the enclosure it's in. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The two other parties do have the right to veto the fitment of any new equipment, though, if the consumer has not ensured that there is enough room in their box for that equipment to be fitted.
All very confusing for the consumer of course. My DNO stated that they could prevent installation of additional equipment (not I didn't say the 'right' to do so). I've heard that from other sources, so thanks for clarifying the legal situation.

When talking about other equipment, I was not including isolation switches and required fusing for tails.

·
Registered
Ioniq Project 45, e-Niro4+
2,797 Posts
It appears that the fitting of the new meter and the issues I'm now experienced are just a coincidence.
I don't like coincidences. Was the EV charger working fault-free to a while before the new meter installation, and did you have any other strange trips before the change?

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
All very confusing for the consumer of course. My DNO stated that they could prevent installation of additional equipment (not I didn't say the 'right' to do so). I've heard that from other sources, so thanks for clarifying the legal situation.

When talking about other equipment, I was not including isolation switches and required fusing for tails.

It is confusing, and a mess brought about by the splitting up of the old electricity boards, during privatisation. Prior to that, the electricity boards actually owned the meter box/back board, incoming cable, fuse and the meter. These all got divvied up after privatisation, leading to the situation we have now. There are still boards and boxes around that state they are the property of an old electricity board, which adds to the confusion.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts