Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a silly question.

I have a duel fuel tariff with a different utility provider. I've checked the Octopus and EDF EV tariff the electric prices are cheaper than my current provider. But their gas tariff are more expensive.

According to both Octopus and EDF if I want to move to their EV tariff I also need to move my gas too. I prefer to keep my gas with my current provider just only moving my electric to either Octopus or EDF. Has anybody manage to do this? There is no option online as far as I can see.

Many thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dual fuel tariffs are often cheaper, have you plugged your figures in to a comparison site? - Octopus was far more expensive for me than Igloo Energy but then the car is only a relatively small proportion of my electricity load.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dual fuel tariffs are often cheaper, have you plugged your figures in to a comparison site? - Octopus was far more expensive for me than Igloo Energy but then the car is only a relatively small proportion of my electricity load.
Yep I have, I also done my maths. My gas would increase by £130 while I only save £65.00 on electric based on EDF flat EV rate.

I'm trying to retain the cheapest gas price and gain on getting cheapest electricity cost by moving only my electric bill. Not sure if this is possible.

·
Premium Member
2019 VW e-Golf
4 Posts
I can’t speak for EDF but I am surprised that is what octopus are saying, especially as I believe EV tariffs like ‘Go’ are not available as a duel fuel deal, you can have both but they stay separate.

I had both Gas and Electric with SSE and switched electric only to Octopus Go without an issue. Gas got left with my old provider that I have since switched to someone else. The only thing would be that your existing provider may switch your gas onto another tariff after the switch as you wouldn’t be dual fuel obviously. But if that rate isn’t decent you can always fix or switch

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
My advice FWiW: simultaneously, switch electricity to Octopus and gas to Zog. The consensus is that separate suppliers are cheaper than a single supplier (dual tariff) at the moment. That said, you need to do your own comparison based on kWhs. Bear in mind that you can use an Octopus referral code to get £50 off. PM if you think my advice has been helpful.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Usually, seperate suppliers for Gas & Electricity are now cheaper than dual fuel deals as they no longer tend to offer the discounts for taking both.
We have had seperate suppliers for the last 4-5 years.
Also, there is no problem with only having electricity from Octopus. We are on their Go Faster 02:30-06:30 tariff @5p/kWh & 14.02p/kWh at other times. Our average rate for all our imported electric, for our usage profile is currently about 8p/kWh.
We are currently with Zog for gas.
Both companies we have found have excellent customer service.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Usually, seperate suppliers for Gas & Electricity are now cheaper than dual fuel deals as they no longer tend to offer the discounts for taking both.
We have had seperate suppliers for the last 4-5 years.
Also, there is no problem with only having electricity from Octopus. We are on their Go Faster 02:30-06:30 tariff @5p/kWh & 14.02p/kWh at other times. Our average rate for all our imported electric, for our usage profile is currently about 8p/kWh.
We are currently with Zog for gas.
Both companies we have found have excellent customer service.
Thanks for the information, it's been really useful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Octopus energy on "comparison" site are far too expensive, as none of the Go or AGILE tariffs are on them
Yes I've noticed that, I had to get a quote directly on the octopus energy website for the EV tariff. Same for EDF.
I don't have a smart meter at the moment so I'm not sure how long Octopus will take to get one installed. :unsure:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I swapped to octopus agile and a separate gas tariff. You do not have to have both at the same company.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
268 Posts
I echo that sentiment that now it is often cheaper to go with separate suppliers. Comparison sites will probably come under investigation soon for "steering" people down the dual fuel route, despite it often not being the best deal.
However, another complication is that quite a few companies won't offer a competitive price on gas without electricity,

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes I've noticed that, I had to get a quote directly on the octopus energy website for the EV tariff. Same for EDF.
I don't have a smart meter at the moment so I'm not sure how long Octopus will take to get one installed. :unsure:
I switched my electricity to Octopus a couple of weeks ago (left gas where it was for now). Need a smart meter install.

After the switch was complete I told them to change my tariff to Agile, this resulted in them sending me a link to book a smart meter appointment. No availability for the first couple of days then it freed up - install is happening next week.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I switched my electric only to EDF. On the call they asked why I was not switching my gas also. They assumed i might not be on mains gas. I told them I was but that I was considering to soon switch my gas boiler for an electricity powered air source heat pump. I am still considering this but I currently have my gas (only) supplied by ‘so energy’ ..... alongside my EDF Go-Electric tariff.

im not sure how many suppliers provide gas only tariffs at a competitive cost? Does anyone have a list? Perhaps with current rates? ....... although perhaps this is something that can be simply searched for on a switching website?

If you switch to ‘So Energy’ using this link we both get £40 bill credit .....

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Try and get your Smart meter fitted by your current supplier BEFORE you switch.
You probably find that you will get it done faster !.
I did this and the switch over only took about 10 days before I went live on the EDF Go Electric tariff.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Octopus Go for electricity and Ebico for gas [now taken over by BG]. Gas is 1.98kWh :) Unlikely I'll ever go dual fuel again. Previously, my EDF Go Electric single rate tariff was good at 11p kWh but the gas was horrific at 3.5kWh! Always shop around.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yep I have, I also done my maths. My gas would increase by £130 while I only save £65.00 on electric based on EDF flat EV rate.

I'm trying to retain the cheapest gas price and gain on getting cheapest electricity cost by moving only my electric bill. Not sure if this is possible.
And that gas increase would largely be from now to March too?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Octopus installed my smart meter 1 week after joining.

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
Compare the Market allow you to look at just gas rates, but not sure some of the smaller suppliers are on there. Best deal today for my postcode was SSE, slightly less than So Energy. Higher than my current 12 month fix with Octopus though (2.53p/kWh 17.85p/day)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts