Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,881 Posts
Is podpoint worth anything? They don't have any rapids with contactless still if Zap-Map is to be believed. I'd laugh if Dale bought loads of shares...

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,120 Posts
And so starts the loss of any free infrastructure we had in the "golden days" of owning an EV.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite.
230 Posts
Most do not. And the one single rapid I have seen with it wasn't actually enabled so you still had to use the app.
I have used Podpoint a lot during my EV ownership and have always found their app easy to use and more importantly, reliable.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,659 Posts
I have used Podpoint a lot during my EV ownership and have always found their app easy to use and more importantly, reliable.
I'm not saying their app is bad or hard to use. It's only failed to work for me once, during some weird server issue over a weekend that affected everyone not just me. All I am saying is that it is never going to be as quick or simple as tapping a card on it, and ultimately I don't want to have to use an app. I With both Pod Point and Ecotricity would learn this. It infuriates me that both these companies started by offering RFID Cards, and now despite having the very same rapid chargers as they used to have in those days, have covered the perfectly functional RFID Readers with stickers and now say it's the app or nothing.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
I suspect the app only restriction is for data collection purposes. There are often 'buy five items and get 10p a litre off fuel' at forecourts so maybe they'll be offers to discount kWh for giving up five pieces of personal data.:unsure:

:p

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
The app use is purely for cost reduction as well.
Tbh I'm happy to use an app if it works and gives me a cheaper rate.

It's sad news as it no doubt means the free units will vanish and become chargeable but hey ho life goes on.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
At my local Tesco’s they have just finished installing 7kw fast posts.
You know the type, it’s the Tesco / VW branded large sign, with two type 2 sockets and then behind it another single post with two type 2 sockets ( 4 in total ).
All Pod Point strangely enough !.
I believe these are free to use, but you have to sign into the P.P. App or they will stop charging after 15 mins.
Are these units going to be affected in any way due to the likely “Sell Off” ?.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite.
230 Posts
At my local Tesco’s they have just finished installing 7kw fast posts.
You know the type, it’s the Tesco / VW branded large sign, with two type 2 sockets and then behind it another single post with two type 2 sockets ( 4 in total ).
All Pod Point strangely enough !.
I believe these are free to use, but you have to sign into the P.P. App or they will stop charging after 15 mins.
Are these units going to be affected in any way due to the likely “Sell Off” ?.
These installations have a tie-up with VW so hopefully it is offered as a service to shoppers and will remain free! 🤞

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
596 Posts
Bang goes the free charging at supermarkets then.

Reactions: EdH

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm not saying their app is bad or hard to use. It's only failed to work for me once, during some weird server issue over a weekend that affected everyone not just me. All I am saying is that it is never going to be as quick or simple as tapping a card on it, and ultimately I don't want to have to use an app. I With both Pod Point and Ecotricity would learn this. It infuriates me that both these companies started by offering RFID Cards, and now despite having the very same rapid chargers as they used to have in those days, have covered the perfectly functional RFID Readers with stickers and now say it's the app or nothing.
The one Pod-Point I've tried to use was in an area with no phone signal on my network. Fortunately they have that grace period to claim a charge, but I'd much rather use a RFID to avoid phone signal problems.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,921 Posts
Fortunately they have that grace period to claim a charge
Have you managed to start a charge away from the charger? I ask because I was in a similar situation and tried to start the charge where I got a signal. The app said I wasn't near the charger and wouldn't start the charge.

PS it must have been at least a year ago now.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
The app said I wasn't near the charger and wouldn't start the charge.
One of my frequent parking spots is in an underground car park with Pod Point charge posts. I always get it to start for the 15 minutes, then come upstairs and out to the street and am able to claim the charge session no problem.

Looking at the Pod Point app right now, I have just selected a free Pod Point at a Sainsburys almost 300 miles away from where I am right now and pressed the button to claim a charge. I got taken to the 'Charge Confirmed' Screen straight away. There defnitely doesn't seem to be any location restriction.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
UPDATE:
Just done one better. I found a Pod Point in Norway. Just let me confirm that too! 100% no location restrictions on my app.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Have you managed to start a charge away from the charger? I ask because I was in a similar situation and tried to start the charge where I got a signal. The app said I wasn't near the charger and wouldn't start the charge.

PS it must have been at least a year ago now.
It starts when plugging in, then I claimed the charge within the 15 minutes. I'm not sure what happens if you wait longer than 15 minutes. This particular car park apparently issues fines if you're not charging so I'm glad it claimed it OK!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I'm not sure what happens if you wait longer than 15 minutes
It unlocks your charge cable and kicks you off the charge session. You then must unplug and start over. Claiming the charge after that point won't re-start the session.

Same happens with a claimed charge session if you've been plugged in for 24 hours.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,921 Posts
Ah, that's good to hear fellas. Hopefully we'll be able to get out to make charges soon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts