Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone observe the TV advert (on Sky) projecting EDF’s profile in the sphere of EV adoption. Their new offering apparently came online earlier this week. They will lease you an EV, install you a charge-point (very cheaply) and give you an off-peak electricity rate for EV Charging. It’s a 2-Tarrif Smart Meter. Something that is long overdue. See:

EV: Options > Tariffs

Check it out - they will even give you 3-phase, if your property has it!

My question, for those with deeper knowledge than I - how do we set the car to charge after 9 pm? I can see Mercedes Me allows me to set up the concept of peak/off peak, but the selections are: Off, or Once Only? I just want the car to respect that off-peak Charging is standard and I only want the functionality to over-ride the standard - ‘Once Only’.

Maybe there are some in-car settings, but I can’t check them until I get back to UK?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My current contract says;

Electricity unit rate: 18.43p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 21.88p per day

Gas unit rate: 4.279p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 26.52p per day

I’m not a big user of gas (an apartment) so off peak at 8.01 per kWh is a winner!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Did anyone observe the TV advert (on Sky) projecting EDF’s profile in the sphere of EV adoption. Their new offering apparently came online earlier this week. They will lease you an EV, install you a charge-point (very cheaply) and give you an off-peak electricity rate for EV Charging. It’s a 2-Tarrif Smart Meter. Something that is long overdue. See:

EV: Options > Tariffs

Check it out - they will even give you 3-phase, if your property has it!
This is the most misleading piece of advertising that I have seen about EV savings. By all means compare the cost of charging on the standard tariff versus the Go tariff but not against ICE costs. If they want to do this, then the Regulator should ensure that they factor in all the other costs; eg; difference in list prices; VED; insurance etc.

Be that as it may. The comparison is also based on 3100kWhs/year. If I did all my i3 EV charging at home, it would use 2000 of the 3100kWhs. It looks to me as if no one in the EDF team owns an EV. That said, I am sure that the cheap evenings after 9pm, and weekends will attract some customers but it is not for me. I will stick with the Octopus GO EV offer.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
They are having a laugh with those prices.

We currently pay a standing charge of 20.44p/day with Bulb, with EDF this would rise to 31.64/day, more than 50% more.

Peak rate with Bulb is 15.729p/kWh, with EDF this would increase to 19.04p/kWh, an increase of over 20%

Off-peak rate with Bulb is 8.148p/kWh, with EDF this would decrease to 8.01p/kWh, a decrease of just 1.7%

The very slightly cheaper off-peak rate for an extra three hours would be completely offset by the higher peak rate charge, let alone the very much higher standing charge. We use around 30% at peak rate and 70% at off-peak rate at the moment, and we'd use maybe 3% more at off-peak and 3% less at peak rate under the EDF tariff, nowhere near enough to cover the higher peak rate price. We've already shifted as much consumption as we can so that it's in the off-peak tariff period, so during the additional 3 hours of the EDF off-peak period we'd use less than 1 kWh.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
With a 9PM start time, you could always just plug in the car after 9PM .... Simple :)
Or don't bother with a standard EV charger. Go for a commando socket; the Octopus Go tariff and pay £199* for an Ohme smart (7kW) charging cable.

* the price is linked to the Octopus Go tariff offer.

Isn't life for EV owners getting complicated!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With a 9PM start time, you could always just plug in the car after 9PM .... Simple :)
Heck - I’ve got every smart gadget in the catalogue. Even my car reacts to Alexa! It’s 2 floors down to the underground car park, think of the energy wasted when you can have an expensive, complex and unreliable gadget that will do it for you - sometimes!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moderator note: I moved this from the Mercedes forum because the posts are discussing the tariff, not the car.
It was on the Merc page - to get advice on how to automate the start/stop times! I’m getting advice on here from those who are still not addicted to the Smart Home technologies!

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
Hmmm for North Wales:

My current supplier is Ecotricity.
My consumption is 7000kWh annually. About 3,000 of that is EV charging.

Ecotricity:
32.66p/day standing charge
14.23p/kWh all day. Variable but will not adjust before October 2019. Ecotricity have a derogation and are allowed to exceed the cap. They haven't yet.
£119.21 standing + £996 = £1115.31 less about £70 savings on EH usage.

Octopus Go
25p/day standing charge
14.63p/kWh peak 5p off-peak from 00:30 to 04:30

Assume only the car is using off-peak. Actual cost will be slightly lower.
£91.25 Standing + £585.20 peak + £150 off-peak = £826.45

EDF GoElectric

32.93p/day standing charge
18.21p/kWh peak 8.01p off peak from 9PM to 7AM + weekends. Fixed until June 2020.

The off-peak is a bit harder to estimate. To simplify, I'm going to put all EV and 2/7 of my non-EV use on off-peak. Actual will be slightly lower.

£120.19 standing + £520.28 peak + £331.83 off-peak = £972

My worst ever customer experience is with EDF. I'd need a much better reason to consider using them.

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
t was on the Merc page - to get advice on how to automate the start/stop times! I’m getting advice on here from those who are still not addicted to the Smart Home technologies!
You should try again with a question that is entirely about setting the charge timer. All of the replies were about the tariff and none about the car.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
You should try again with a question that is entirely about setting the charge timer. All of the replies were about the tariff and none about the car.
He could, but a Google search suggests that delayed charging isn’t possible via the car/app (other than by setting a departure time).

Whoops - thread drift. Time to bounce it back to the Merc forum? (Sorry, I couldn’t resist. I will unplug my EV and move on)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts