Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So the car has been sat pretty much in the driveway since march. Since I only bought it late last year I have no idea what the range is like in Summer.

I'm planning on going down to (finally!) see some friends in in Oxford, which I make it about 430mi away.

A few questions:
- 1) How accurate is ABRP as far as reference consumption goes, optimistic, pessimistic or about right?
- 2) Can anyone help with a rough guide of energy consumption at say 60, 65 or 70mph. It'll be pretty much motorway driving all the way. I kind of prefer to do my own planning with back-ups just in case
- 3) Looks like I'll need about 7(!) CCS rapid charges to get me there. Assuming they all work, so I'll be avoiding Ecotricity like the plague, is that OK? I'm conscious we don't have an active cooled battery and I may be doing 30 min driving followed by 30min charging at times

Looking at the weather next week, Thursday looks like a good day. 18-23°C en-route, slight tailwind and no rain.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I don’t think you’ll need 7 charges, but will probably need 4 or 5.

I find a good speed for making progress vs conserving
energy is 65mph, and a bit quicker down the hills. I keep the consumption needle below 2.

At that speed/driving I can get 4 miles per kWh without too much trouble.

I work on 120 miles from a full charge having pre-heated, then plan on charging to 80-85% where the tapering kicks in a bit, with 90-95 miles between stops. Windy/Raining, figures will change.

ABRP is good, but only as good as the data you put into it.

Having a quick look, I’d stop at Instavolts all the way, Newcastle, Ripon, Alfreton and Grange Farm Services.

Plenty of Polars and other stuff to keep your options open along the way too.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,224 Posts
I have an i3 so can’t provide e-Golf advice based on first hand experience, but take a look at eCalc - evCalc - independent Range and Efficiency Calculator for Electric Vehicles/Cars (EV's) with Benchmarking

With ABRP, add in your return journey from the outset too, and also add the details of any destination charging you might be able to do at your friend’s house (even if just via the granny cable).

I tell ABRP to not use Ecotricity at all, and to prefer Instavolt, Engenie, Polar and Ionity, and normally see where there gets me.

·
1,224 Posts
This looks reasonable, but I'd be checking if the Polars at the hotels site are accessible and working ok.

·
1,224 Posts
Oh, and if you do plan to use Ionity at Gretna, get yourself a Maingau card. Some details here:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your help. I think I got a much better understanding of what to do now. Looks like I was being a little too conservative perhaps.

I'll keep you updated on how it goes :)

·
1,224 Posts
Bill N,
Been looking for that, can you please ref it,thanks.
Ken
Hi Ken - the table is taken from eCalc - evCalc - independent Range and Efficiency Calculator for Electric Vehicles/Cars (EV's) with Benchmarking

I think you need to enter a route, select the car make & model, and adjust other settings as desired, and then hit calculate and it will display the relevant table.

(Entering a route is a bit clunky - first press the bin button to reset it then easiest way is to click the start and end points (plus any way points) on the map.)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Perfectly doable with instavolt all the way, however this is the type of journey i would be using our other car (ICE) for. Thats a lot of stops.

·
1,224 Posts
Probably less virusey in your own car though, compared to 6+ hours on 2 or 3 different trains.

More comfortable too, given the requirement to wear a face covering for the duration of the train journey there, and back again.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Not sure why everyone seems to recommend Instavolt. Why pay 35ppu when PodPoint at Lidl are only 23ppu ?

Podpoints on the M6 route are a bit sparse but there are plenty of them on the A1 - M62 route

·
1,224 Posts
I'm also not sure about limiting yourself only to Instavolt given that if you are going to pay 35p anyway, paying 36p at Engenie or approx. 40p at Ionity (via Maingau) is not going to make a lot of difference, and ultimately (unless minimising spend is the aim) I'd be wanting to aim for any charging locations that are a) near to the route, b) from reliable providers and c) have 2+ units.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Instavolt Rapids are the only ones that I have a 100% success rate with and that work identically to a petrol pump. Turn up. Touch a credit card. Plug in. Touch again and leave. Reliability and ease of use features are well worth a few pence extra to me.

·
1,224 Posts
Engenie is similarly simple and reliable I think - perhaps a couple of extra steps compared to Instavolt:

Personally, I’d always rather head towards an Engenie site with 2 units over an Instavolt site with 1 unit purely because the chance of having to wait for others to finish charging is reduced.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I’ve never seen a single Instavolt site, they’re always in a minimum of pairs as far as I know.

That’s why I choose them over the other providers, reliability and limited chances of both or all 4 of them being in use.

Polar are great, but the chargers are usually singles, likewise with Pod Point rapids.

Funnily enough, I avoid Engenie since the last couple of times I’ve used them I’ve had to attempt initial charging two or three times.

I say this as I’m sitting on an Ecotricity rapid now, they work ok for me on the golf but I only tend to use them if I spot they’re free as there’s only one CCS at this site.

·
1,224 Posts
There are definitely some single Instavolts out there - I used this one in Lanark on Monday

·
1,224 Posts
There’s a few Instavolts I’ve been to (including Lanark) that have been squeezed into petrol station forecourts and to be honest just aren’t particularly nice places to charge.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
There’s a few Instavolts I’ve been to (including Lanark) that have been squeezed into petrol station forecourts and to be honest just aren’t particularly nice places to charge.
Must be the exception that proves the rule that one!

I’ve not charged for a few years in Scotland, I think Instavolt policy now for new installs is minimum 2 chargers.

Certainly the ones I highlighted earlier in the thread between Edinburgh and Oxford are all 2 or 4 charger sites.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts