Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Peugeot e-2008
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! This is my first post here.

Next Monday we are due to drive from Brighton to Fishguard in West Wales. It’s the first time our Peugeot e-2008 has gone further than a 40 mile round trip since we got it in Jan.

According to ZapMap we should only need to recharge twice along along the 307 mile journey.

I’m not convinced!

Just to make things even more gnarly, it will be a heavily laden car - 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs and 1 roofbox.

We have a home charger (so we aren’t very familiar with public charge points).
Any advice for total newbies would be really appreciated! What do we need, what should we bring? How often do you think we will recharge? How can we be certain charging stations are actually working? Is it ridiculous to think we should stop overnight en route?!!

All of the basic questions!

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
652 Posts
The M4 is probably the worst served motorway for rapid charging! But don’t panic. With such a car load someone will need a stop! The short route to avoid the M25 around Heathrow is via M3 and via Bracknell to pick up the M329 and on to the M4. There is an Osprey charger on the roundabout at the beginning of the M329 which might be worth a break to add some miles before you get to Wales where Newport is your friend. And then their are chargers at Carmarthen specifically a pair of Instavolts just the other side going west. Any stop at any of the MSAs is worth a try but not Leigh Delamere which is the worst served. Normally on a long journey you would aim to drive until your battery is down to 20% or below, but in this instance I would try to add some miles at every stop.

As I said Newport is your friend, lots of choice and you can get quickly round by the docks and several chargers and avoid the tunnels!

Also try the Watts Up app, which offers more choice than Zap-Map by giving you more options just off route.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Is it ridiculous to think we should stop overnight en route?!!
Not really. If it all goes swimmingly you'll do it in one day fine. But as in the post above you'll possibly have more stops and diversions to charge than expected and darkness will fall.
The advice on here is often given to have a plan A and B ... and C, because currently charging en route can be very hit and miss.
I guess you are going on holiday, so if money and time aren't a big problem I'd book an overnight as part of plan A just to avoid the potential nightmare of needing one at short notice, which is great start to any holiday.

·
Registered
401 Posts
get a better route planner, zap map, watts up apps. Think about your route a bit and see if ABRP matches (if not just get it to navigate to waypoints to force it the way you want to go. Then have a look at places near to where you’ll want to stop. There are increasing numbers of chargers but not big banks of them in a single location like Tesla. But if you route near ‘clumps’ of separate locations you’ll have options if some are in use or not working.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-2008
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is super super helpful, thank you. I'm already appreciating Newport. And I've never yet been.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-2008
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The M4 is probably the worst served motorway for rapid charging! But don’t panic. With such a car load someone will need a stop! The short route to avoid the M25 around Heathrow is via M3 and via Bracknell to pick up the M329 and on to the M4. There is an Osprey charger on the roundabout at the beginning of the M329 which might be worth a break to add some miles before you get to Wales where Newport is your friend. And then their are chargers at Carmarthen specifically a pair of Instavolts just the other side going west. Any stop at any of the MSAs is worth a try but not Leigh Delamere which is the worst served. Normally on a long journey you would aim to drive until your battery is down to 20% or below, but in this instance I would try to add some miles at every stop.

As I said Newport is your friend, lots of choice and you can get quickly round by the docks and several chargers and avoid the tunnels!

Also try the Watts Up app, which offers more choice than Zap-Map by giving you more options just off route.
Thanks so much! This is super helpful. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-2008
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really. If it all goes swimmingly you'll do it in one day fine. But as in the post above you'll possibly have more stops and diversions to charge than expected and darkness will fall.
The advice on here is often given to have a plan A and B ... and C, because currently charging en route can be very hit and miss.
I guess you are going on holiday, so if money and time aren't a big problem I'd book an overnight as part of plan A just to avoid the potential nightmare of needing one at short notice, which is great start to any holiday.
Thanks. This is helpful. We will find a hotel! I've been using ZapMap to figure out which ones have chargers but it feels a bit of ac clunky process—is there a cleverer way?

·
Registered
Peugeot e-2008
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
get a better route planner, zap map, watts up apps. Think about your route a bit and see if ABRP matches (if not just get it to navigate to waypoints to force it the way you want to go. Then have a look at places near to where you’ll want to stop. There are increasing numbers of chargers but not big banks of them in a single location like Tesla. But if you route near ‘clumps’ of separate locations you’ll have options if some are in use or not working.
Thanks! Didn't know about ABRP, this is helpful.

Really basic question: can you just pay with a card for public chargers en route, or is it app-based? Trying to figure out what I need to download/organise before we schlep off...

·
Registered
401 Posts
both. There are increasing numbers that’ll just take a debit card, but some still use apps or RFID cards. You can probably manage fine without RFID cards but it does limit your options

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,878 Posts
Do more, shorter top ups so your SOC is kept reasonably high. This will lessen any anxiety if your chosen charger is blocked by an ICE or non charging EV or off line and you have to crawl around finding another.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,727 Posts
As I found out on Sunday, a good charging stop is the Two Rivers pub & Hotel, just off the M48 (Old Severn Bridge) at Chepstow. They have an Osprey rapid and a very good menu.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,507 Posts
Hello OP - as has been mentioned, you really want to be using ABRP (preferably in conjunction with either the Peugeot app or the Tronity app) to monitor your energy consumption - especially so if unforseen things happen which might cause you to use more energy than you would normally (eg wrong turns, traffic detours, bad weather etc).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Br1ght0n
I've also got an e2008, I live in Cardiff, and last weekend took a trip west to Tenby - 90 miles each way.
General point, if you can avoid taking the roof box by packing the car better, do that. The roof box will substantially increase aerodynamic drag and I would expect it to hit your range.
I have been to London area several times from Cardiff, cruising at 70 or whatever the limit is if lower, usually the car needs charging just before the M25, ie 120 miles.

Before you set off, download the apps you might need - I have Electric Highway, GeniePoint, Pod Point, BP Pulse.

I generally filter on Zap Map to show where 50Kw or faster CCS chargers are.

On the English bit of the M4, I recently used one just off J15, BP Pulse. They have two that are super-rapid 150kw chargers at a BP fuel station, but when I arrived, one was broken, one in use, so I used the 50kw charger at the Holiday Inn, 100m behind.

West of Cardiff, there's:
J36 Sarn Park - 50kw Ecotricity/Electric Highway - used it last weekend, pleasant Starbucks
J38 take off to McDonalds Port Talbot - Instavolt (haven't been there, but they are pay as you go and famously reliable) - plus if you have kids, it's at McDonalds!
J47 Swansea W services - 50kw Ecotricity/Electric Highway - tried to use it last weekend but was busy
I also used a 50kw rapid in Tenby (not on your route), which is Dragon Charging/GeniePoint.

If you search for chargers in south/west Wales, you will find a good number of both rapids and destination chargers listed under Dragon Charging Dragon Charging Network – EV Charging in Wales. As far as I can see, Dragon has been taken over by GeniePoint - so if you have the GeniePoint app set up with an account opened, life around Fishgard will be easier.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I’m sure you’ll be fine, there are so many chargers and options around that there will always be somewhere to charge. I know how you feel though, it reminds me of how we felt in our first ever EV journey in our 7 day test drive LEAF24.
My wife picked it up on Friday evening, and Saturday morning we set off. It was back at the tail end of 2014, from Dorset to Anglesey. I always have a chuckle to myself if anyone tells me the rapid charger network isn’t any good these days! You should have seen what it was like then. We knew what we were getting into though, so no need to feel sorry for us!
My point is, there are really loads of options now, and it sounds like you are prepared and know what you're looking for with the advice above about ABRP, ZapMap and PlugShare type maps to find your way. Take it easy. Enjoy your holiday!

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
652 Posts
I live near Alton and regularly had to drive to Newport for meetings. It is a little over 2 hours. Brighton is an hour the other way, cross country. As in plan A above, a 15 minute stop in Bracknell should add 10 kWh to your battery or 30 miles. If t he children need a comfort break you have Reading or Membury services which if the Ecotricity chargers are working and avaliable could give you more miles. If I remember rightly one of the chargers on the dock route round Newport is in a pub car park close to some Golden Arches! Vegan opportunities are less likely but you can pack your own, I would! And once back on the M4 it should be fairly quick, though I confess never done the trip on a Bank Holiday. I have done Haverfordwest to Alton leaving at 18:30 and arriving back at 10:30 one Sunday evening. I doubt you will need to add more than an hour or so for charging.

The big benefit of an EV is the quiet cabin, makes the journey much more relaxing save that you will hear ‘are we nearly there yet’ that much better.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,266 Posts
heavily laden car - 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs and 1 roofbox.
What's in the car will make very little difference to range. But the roofbox will knock approx 10% off your range if you keep the speeds to 65mph or less. Keep that in mind as Zapmap won't factor that in. Might be worth accepting it'll take longer to take a more rural route than motorway but it'll be more relaxing as you'll keep the speed down and the range won't tank so much.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Have a think about how you are going to charge your car when you are there, Wales isn't know for a lot of chargers. If you can't charge at your destination for your return trip then I would suggest finding a rapid charger near your destination on the way there and topping up when the cars battery is warm. Setting off with a low state of charge and using a rapid charger straight away isn't good as the cold battery will reduce the charging current to protect itself.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
652 Posts
Practice on local rapids before your trip would be good experience. Always check parking rules.
Good advice, on a couple of occasions when I have had difficulty I couldn’t say whether it was the chargers or me. Have a play with a couple. Instavolt are easy and seem very reliable, BP Pulse have been problematic. Ecotricity despite poor opinions, have worked for me and been free. But they are mainly to serve chademo as this was the Nissan charge system, so can be occupied at MSAs.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts