Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and currently drive an Audi TTS! Please don't judge! :) I've had it for almost 9 years and every so often it does put a smile on my face! However I have been getting bored of it and I've always liked the look of the i3 and I was able to borrow one for a weekend a month back and it was great fun, the only thing I found lacking was the stopping power of the brakes! Which is probably not surprising given that there must be half as much rubber in contact with the ground as the TTS.

Anyway, my question(s) is this: I am currently looking at two i3's, both have 36,000 miles, but one is 1 year 10 months old (@ £19500) and the other 3 years 8 months old (@18700). I did the maths on the younger one and the owner must have been doing 80 miles per working day of the week, should this be something to worry about? The possibility that the majority of charging could have been cycles of full to flat? Rather than say 80% to 30%?

Also regarding options, would you regard the Driver Support Plus (Active cruise control) option better than the following features?:

Harmon Karden sound system.
Sunroof
20" alloys (style 430)

These features are on the cheaper (older) one, but not on the younger one (which has Driver Support Plus instead).

We have active cruise on the Volvo V40 and it is a really, really good feature.
Is the Driver Support Plus pack good enough to trump the other options?

Also, the seller is going to provide 12m of Warrantywise cover, has anybody had any experience with this warranty?

Thank you for reading!
Best Regards

Matt

·
Registered
196 Posts
For what it's worth, I have had my i3 Rex for 2 weeks now and I absolutely LOVE the adaptive cruise control. Dont know how I ever managed without it. Much more use than the other fluffy enhancements IMHO

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,602 Posts
Newer car with a higher mileage is usually the better choice. You have more warranty left. The older one would be out of warranty so I wouldn't touch it unless it came with a full 12 month comprehensive BMW warranty that could be renewed while you had the car. Many of the after market warranties are all weasel words.

·
Banned
511 Posts
The person may have been driving 40 miles to work and then charging at work before going home. Or may have been doing a rapid charge en route. 3 years 8 months old is an early one, so might have some problems remaining that still have yet to go wrong. no easy answer. Battery degradation (assuming the same run flat usage scenarios) would be slightly less in the newer car, because of cell ageing (cells dgrade slowly with age as well). In general, most people with a Bev are not stupid enough to run it even close to flat...however the Bevs do have the potential to run to 1 or 0% (and the driver could get caught out with chargers), where a Rex doesn't really unless the driver is a complete idiot as the Rex cuts in at 7%

20 inch wheels add nothing but pain and expense if you get a flat and when they wear out.

My advice would be to buy neither of those 60Ah cars and go for a Rex variant instead. This is because at 60Ah it's not hugely usable as a pure ev and 80% of 75 miles range in winter is not a lot of miles, especially as you would need to find a charging station while you still have at least 10 miles range left!

Plus the depreciation on the bevs still stands to be heavy over the next few years as higher mileage evs become commonplace. At least a rex car remains very usable as a really good Hybrid.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,651 Posts
I have the 20" alloys and I really like them but be aware that Bridgestone are the main supplier of tyres and they can be quite expensive to replace.

I also have the adaptive cruise control and use it all the time.

The standard speakers are very good and I find them perfectly adequate for my needs.

As far as I know the i3 never uses all the available battery capacity so it's never really flat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all your replies! I should have mentioned that both cars are Rex.

My commute to work is 70miles round trip, work do not supply any charge stations. So in colder weather I may have to rely on the Rex for the final few miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I must admit that's why I would not buy a BEV! The depreciation, range anxiety and practicallity...

I've put a £100 deposit down on the 56 plate car, do we know roughly at what point most of the gremlins were sorted on the i3, do people still have issues with the newer models?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Newer car with a higher mileage is usually the better choice. You have more warranty left. The older one would be out of warranty so I wouldn't touch it unless it came with a full 12 month comprehensive BMW warranty that could be renewed while you had the car. Many of the after market warranties are all weasel words.
BMW do not offer an extended warranty on the i3. The extended warranty sold by BMW dealers is insured by a 3rd party and not underwritten by BMW.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,636 Posts
36,000 miles gets called 'high mileage' in an EV forum, without a flicker of dissent?

Sheesh..... and there is surprise that people are eschewing EVs....?

36k is 'nearly new' for me, and if EVs can''t take that without detectable impact then they have no future.

·
Banned
511 Posts
36,000 miles gets called 'high mileage' in an EV forum, without a flicker of dissent?

Sheesh..... and there is surprise that people are eschewing EVs....?

36k is 'nearly new' for me, and if EVs can''t take that without detectable impact then they have no future.
No one has said what you are claiming?

People are eschewing EVs at the moment purely on a financial basis, for the majority of people it doesn't make a very good financial proposition at all. For others where finances are not so much of a problem, charging infrastructure and availability of home charging is another key factor.

·
27,636 Posts
No one has said what you are claiming?
errr... so what is the thread title and what is the subject material?

The OP has said this, he is asking about the effect of "high mileage" in relation to a car with 32,000 miles on it!

If he had revealed that his question was in relation to his own mileage, then you might have some moral high ground. But he didn't. So you don't.

The OP has clearly said this.

If he didn't say that, then what the hell is this thread about?

·
27,636 Posts
People are eschewing EVs at the moment purely on a financial basis, for the majority of people it doesn't make a very good financial proposition at all.
This is nonsense if people actually studied the figures versus the leasing price.

TBH, most people I talk to who have actually seriously considered EVs, without small-minded prejudiced objection, don't mention the cost, their main focus is on practicality and reliability, both of which are very legitimate issues.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,651 Posts
Thank you for all your replies! I should have mentioned that both cars are Rex.

My commute to work is 70miles round trip, work do not supply any charge stations. So in colder weather I may have to rely on the Rex for the final few miles.
I bet a tank of petrol lasts you at least 3 months:D

·
27,636 Posts
stop startin' Donald man!
OK, I'll just answer the OP, then...

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and currently drive an Audi TTS! Please don't judge! :) I've had it for almost 9 years and every so often it does put a smile on my face! However I have been getting bored of it and I've always liked the look of the i3 and I was able to borrow one for a weekend a month back and it was great fun, the only thing I found lacking was the stopping power of the brakes! Which is probably not surprising given that there must be half as much rubber in contact with the ground as the TTS.

Anyway, my question(s) is this: I am currently looking at two i3's, both have 36,000 miles, but one is 1 year 10 months old (@ £19500) and the other 3 years 8 months old (@18700). I did the maths on the younger one and the owner must have been doing 80 miles per working day of the week, should this be something to worry about? The possibility that the majority of charging could have been cycles of full to flat? Rather than say 80% to 30%?

Also regarding options, would you regard the Driver Support Plus (Active cruise control) option better than the following features?:

Harmon Karden sound system.
Sunroof
20" alloys (style 430)

These features are on the cheaper (older) one, but not on the younger one (which has Driver Support Plus instead).

We have active cruise on the Volvo V40 and it is a really, really good feature.
Is the Driver Support Plus pack good enough to trump the other options?

Also, the seller is going to provide 12m of Warrantywise cover, has anybody had any experience with this warranty?

Thank you for reading!
Best Regards

Matt
36,000 miles isn't high mileage. What makes you think it is a problem for EVs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Donald,

My main concern was with the DAILY high mileage, which in my calculations the car would have covered 80miles per working day, which is equal to 450 charge/discharge cycles.

I mainly wanted to hear of other similar user experiences, before I go and buy a £20,000 car!

I'm sorry I didn't make it sufficiently clear to you.

All,

Is there a secret menu that details information about the health of the battery? This is mainly out of interest, rather than to fan the flames! :)

·
Banned
511 Posts
Hi Donald,

My main concern was with the DAILY high mileage, which in my calculations the car would have covered 80miles per working day, which is equal to 450 charge/discharge cycles.

I mainly wanted to hear of other similar user experiences, before I go and buy a £20,000 car!
Mine was a Rex, 3.5 years old when I traded it in and it had covered £28,200 miles. There was no obvious degradation on the battery, perhaps 2 or 3 miles less on total range. I could only tell this because I had been doing the exactly the same journeys midweek for 2.5 years. I had probably done around 330 full cycles (I charged every night so that's equivalent obviously)

·
27,636 Posts
Hi Donald,

I'm sorry I didn't make it sufficiently clear to you.

All,

Is there a secret menu that details information about the health of the battery? This is mainly out of interest, rather than to fan the flames! :)
450 full charges of a battery in a single year is less harmful than 450 cycles in two years, if that helps.

Same cycle life, but older, y'see. The cycle life is based on full-charge equivalents, and the battery will look after itself at the high and low states-of-charge

Absolute Zero question in going for the newer car. You get the benefit of warranty, have all the updates and other production issues [hopefully] better ironed out. ....And, simply, it is a newer car!....

·
Registered
885 Posts
Hi Matthew
I have a 2 ish year old i3 REX got it with 33k on the clock have it just under 4 months now have 42k on the clock, so 9 thousand miles in less than 4 months.
This is one reason did not go for a lease too expense with the mileage I do, the REX engine is god send at times only for odd 5 or 10 miles.

My car would of had the same amount of chargers when I got it as the one your thinking of buying, I have had no issues. Can still charger to 80% in about 23 mins with Rapid charger in this slightly colder weather appose to my 24 leaf that was challenging at times to say the lease.

Some will say 20k is alot of money for a used car I know I did then I got my i3.

Had a number of issues, not with the battery but with petrol sensors etc that would of been expensive fixes if I was not in BMW warranty.

You will love the car as long as you get one with bells and whistles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts