Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
We had the Comfort Update applied two or three weeks or so ago, and it seems appropriate to pass on some observations, a couple of which I've not seen mentioned elsewhere:
  • The first is what I'd describe as the "ineffable blissfulness of bonglessness". 馃槑 It is simply delightful. The car now only issues sensibly toned warnings of things that I, as a driver, genuinely need to know. I wasn't as irritated as some, but it was beginning to wear thin even to me, especially once I started using MG Pilot. I was beginning to think that what had happened was that a piece of test software had been left in the build, so that the car was issuing audio and text messages when various events were detected. The car needed to be detecting them for proper operation, but the driver didn't need to know. Much, much improved.
  • The detection and warning of conditional speed limits remains a largely useless function. It is slightly improved, but I can't do anything with the information. I have no way to tell what conditionality the car detected, and so can't judge if it was correct or modify my driving appropriately.
  • I now have the OAT, & permanent GOM display. I haven't looked for the adaptive Main Beam function.
  • Audio level on switch off is now respected, although, irritatingly the "Mute" condition isn't. No idea why. Ah well, you can't have everything.
  • Something has happened to Android Auto. On reconnecting after the upgrade, the Google Maps and Menu icons on the menu bar are now on the driver's not passenger's side. No idea if anything else has happened.
  • A small text message has appeared on the HVAC screen telling me that I have a "PM2.5 filter". I don't think that was there before. Jolly good, but why?
  • There seems to have been no change to the satnav at all. Same problem still, discussed on another thread.)
I'd be interested to know if other people have noticed the last two:
  • I think something has happened to the Auto Hold brake function. (The button with an orange tell tale that puts the brake on when you stop, releases it automatically when you start to move and lights a green warning on the dash.) Previously that was quite harsh in operation, and occasionally released "spontaneously" - i.e. when I didn't believe I had operated brake or accelerator pedals. This seems to have been fixed. It is much smoother now and I haven't had a surprise release.
  • Something has definitely happened to the GOM. On both occasions that we have fully charged since the upgrade, the GOM has reported Range to Empty as 216 miles (Eco mode selected, HVAC off). The highest we'd seen before was 183 miles. (It wasn't specially warm on the days concerned, so I don't think it's temperature related.) However, operating the HVAC is having a greater effect. It was regularly deducting 10% from Range to Empty when switched on, but it seems more like 15% now, although I haven't had a chance to do detailed comparisons. We haven't had a particularly suitable set of runs to check GOM accuracy since the upgrade, although what we are seeing is consistent with the reported numbers. Previously it was pretty good. I have never before seen >200 miles on the GOM, even when the car was brand new. Have MG perhaps released some previously hidden battery capacity for use?
That's all I can think of for now. Definitely pleased. Kudos to MG for fixing these things and kudos to our dealer (Panda Motors) for installing it FOC.

Happy bunny.:)

Registered
If I remember correctly, the PM2.5 indicator is shown, pre-comfort2 upgrade, on the home screen in the title bar

Registered
I rarely use the auto hold, apart from in stop start traffic and not noticed any change in behaviour.

I鈥檓 certain the 2.5 filter was on the HVAV screen prior to the update, I鈥檓 sure I captured it in a video.

The GOM will have to re learn your style of driving.
Mine typically shows 146 miles in summer and around 134 miles in winter.

Yes I had noted the mute anomaly.

It is lovely and quiet now. A pleasure to drive.

Registered
Sorry I鈥檝e not been able to be on much of late and largely just enjoying getting on and driving it.

This comfort package sounds good but I鈥檓 sure I鈥檝e heard of dealers charging to have this fitted. Seems unfair that MG would allow some to charge for this and others not.

Also when I take my car in for it鈥檚 first service should I expect them to be installing this as part of it or will they possibly ask for money then. I can semi understand them charging for using up mechanics time etc but if it鈥檚 in for a service anyway seems mean.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
@ZSEVUser Unfortunately, since MG refused to pick up the cost as a warranty item, it's up to the individual dealers how to charge. I've been lucky, but some dealers apparently have been charging what seem like ridiculous amounts. I had the distinct impression from my dealer that it was very much a 'plug it in and leave it' task that probably required minimal attention. But that may or may not be true.

@MikeProcter But I never saw GOM range this high, even when the car only had delivery mileage on it. From the get-go it reported 170-ish, with an absolute high of 183, which I think has appeared only twice. Nowhere near 200, let alone significantly over.

See what happens, I suppose. It should have a decent run this weekend, unless the WAG runs amok and closes the Welsh border...

Registered
I haven't updated yet, but may soon.

Having access to a permanent GOM display is good. Less good if the eco mode GOM display becomes a fantasy figure.

I agree with others who have found that Normal Mode GOM display, with the HVAC switch on (but set so that heating/cooling are hardly used) with slightly restrained driving <70mph will give an accurate estimate

Registered
Nickel, on your two last observations ...

I use the Auto Hold Brake Function all the time. I leave it on all the time. The only time I switch it off is when parking in a tight parking space as it allows for better slow speed control. It seems to be working exactly as before the Comfort 2 update. What I have noticed however is that when pulling away on a steeper slope, it seems to be more refined. Before there was sometimes a bit of a jerk as if the brake was sticking.

I have only charged to 100% once since the update last week and this displayed 207 miles in default start up mode (Normal/Level 3 Regen). Did not check the Eco range. Prior to Comfort 2 I obtained 153 - 157 miles in Normal mode. So yes something has happened to the GOM display. Switching on HVAC does indeed show a greater reduction in displayed range. Prior to Comfort 2 it was something like 8 - 12 miles reduction, now it can be as much as a 20 reduction on the GOM. I have also noticed that the difference in displayed range between Modes is much less. Try switching on HVAC and cycle through the driving modes of Eco, Normal and Sport.

As to whether this results in an increase in range its too early to tell. Prior to making a long trip down though France at the beginning of the year, I started a vehicle log mainly to keep track of charging costs but also noting battery % and GOM displayed before and after charging. I also noted the time of starting and stopping the charge, location, networking cost. I am continuing to record these details on each charge, even if done at home. It will be useful in the coming weeks to see if there is a change in relationship between % battery and GOM particularly as I regularly use the same 4 or 5 local rapids which I assume will be continuing to supply the same kW rate of charge.

I am not having the same success with radio volume. On several occasions I was sure I had turned the radio down to level 6 but the next day it was louder when switching it on. Not totally sure and will monitor.

I agree with your other points. The silence is golden! The conditional speed limit warning does not pop up locally where it always used to, certainly if it does its only the warning triangle and no sound. Even better is that the dealer padded out the A-pillar covers so I now have little or no rattle on rougher roads.

I have set the Auto High Beam to off but not yet driven at night.

Yes, very happy too and a big thank you to MG for listening to and acting for MG ZS EV owners!

Registered
MG EZS 2020
The detection and warning of conditional speed limits remains a largely useless function. It is slightly improved, but I can't do anything with the information. I have no way to tell what conditionality the car detected, and so can't judge if it was correct or modify my driving appropriately.
Agreed. Mine detected a McDonalds sign about a quarter of a mile away the other day. It must have been that as there was no other yellow about.

Something has definitely happened to the GOM.
Mine now shows between 173 and 177 miles (I rarely use ECO and even less SPORT).

Registered
MG EZS 2020
I started a vehicle log mainly to keep track of charging costs but also noting battery % and GOM displayed before and after charging.
That would be interesting to see when you have enough data. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts