Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if these issues have been aired already.

1. Slush and sleet building up on the radar box thingy at the front of the car can provoke unwanted emergency braking and a worrying looking warning message on the dashboard. It’s easy enough to pull over and scrape the slush off, but the emergency braking can be a bit scary.

2. I charged overnight and woke this morning to thick snow. I unplugged and found I couldn’t easily close the charging flap. A bit of proggling with a key revealed that the snow in the back part of the flap had packed down hard into one of the plastic mouldings and turned to ice - possibly as a result of slight heating in the socket? Whatever, with the ice levered out, the flap eventually closed, but it’s not the sort of thing you want to have to do with frozen fingers and in a flurry of snow.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Radar box issue has existed for some time. Had the same issue on a Volvo V60 i owned..you quickly become aware of this and clear if necessary. As to the rest i would suggest a car cover if you cannot garage. Make sure it is well secured though and thick enough, none of those cheap plastic ones. If you can pre-heat the car that is also useful

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,226 Posts
If the radar units don't work with snow there should be a wash or heating system to clear them. Expecting someone to pull over on any road to clean them off is dangerous.

The Leaf flap can be left in a lower position over the cable so I think that is less likely to get full of snow. I'd think with the side opening flaps you might want to have a bit of plastic sheeting or similar just to keep the snow out if you know it might snow. I used to park the Soul the other way around close into the wall of the house to charge when it was snowy instead of facing out. More awkward to reverse out rather than drive out though. Kept it defrosted and more free of snow.

I'm assuming de-icer is safe to use instead a charge flap if you confine it to the charge port surrounds and cover the sockets? That's probably the quickest way of getting it clear.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is the first I've heard of AEB kicking in due to snow. I saw on a Bjorn video that the radar basically turned itself off when it's readings became unreliable.

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is what I get on the Kona. It happens from time to time - last time it was a leaf stuck to the radar (Not a Nissan Leaf ? ) and it didn't cause the brakes to slam on, so I continued my journey until I could clean the cover.

John.

Reactions: Devon Dumpling
1 - 5 of 5 Posts