Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have issues with their Ohme Smart Charger firing up into life at unwanted times?

Ours is setup with no scheduled completion time. Just the price limit only so that It turns on and off during the 0130hrs to 0630hrs of our Octopus GoFaster tariff.

Only sometimes it comes on the moment the car’s plugged in. Sometimes it sticks to the times.

It’s set up with the GoFaster Tariff with the correct times and on the screen with the maximum price set at 5.5p, it states it will only charge between 0130 and 0630

Tonight it’s been on between 0640 and 0655 when I spotted it…at 3 times the cost.

Some “Smart” charger 🙄

·
Registered
MG5
464 Posts
I have not had any issues but have a good mobile Signal.
Some user in poir Signal areas do have issues.
I have also heard that if you use wifi boosters in the house this can cause an issue blocking the signal.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not had any issues but have a good mobile Signal.
Some user in poir Signal areas do have issues.
I have also heard that if you use wifi boosters in the house this can cause an issue blocking the signal.
No mobile issues here, so that it isn’t.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,170 Posts
I don't have an Ohme EVSE but I'm wondering why you have to have both a rate and a time set? I can understand if you're on Agile but with a Go Faster tariff, all you need to set is the timer function. The rate doesn't change. Maybe some kind of conflict between the two options?

Try removing the rate from the Ohme programming and just set it to charge between 0130 and 0630.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
My Ohme has always worked as it should bar the time it got returned for a warranty repair. SIM card failure so did not function as expected. Very quick turnaround from Ohme.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Our Ohme always starts charging as soon as it's plugged in - but it only charges for a minute or so. This is a bodge fix for some cars that ignore a charger that isn't offering a charge straightaway (e.g. the MG ZS, or the original Zoe). Once the minute is up, it stops the charge, then starts charging at the correct time.

Have you checked to see whether the charge does stop within a few minutes of plugging in?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I used to find that Ohme would start charging as soon as plugged in and continue for half a minute or so. Managed to overcome that by plugging Ohme into Commando socket then waiting half an hour before plugging into car.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have an Ohme EVSE but I'm wondering why you have to have both a rate and a time set? I can understand if you're on Agile but with a Go Faster tariff, all you need to set is the timer function. The rate doesn't change. Maybe some kind of conflict between the two options?

Try removing the rate from the Ohme programming and just set it to charge between 0130 and 0630.
Either my post wasn’t very clear or it was misunderstood - Only the maximum cost is set. Not a time setting.

Because when setting up the Ohme you tell it which tariff you’re is on, when setting the maximum price, underneath it says something to the effect of “because you’ve set that maximum price, on your tariff the car will only charge between, (in my case) 0130 and 0630

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used to find that Ohme would start charging as soon as plugged in and continue for half a minute or so. Managed to overcome that by plugging Ohme into Commando socket then waiting half an hour before plugging into car.
Sometime mine turns on and off during the cheap rate as per the max price set and the tariff selected. Sometimes it just starts charging when my wife plugs in and does so until I happen to wander past the window sometimes hours later and notice the charging lights are on on the car and the charger.

Hopefully Ohme can sort it remotely tomorrow

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,855 Posts
The Ohme cable always fires up at maximum charge rate, It then does whatever it’s told by the server when it makes contact after a a couple of minutes. I don’t believe the hardwired version works this way but might be wrong.

Does the OP have the charger setup to use the car api? With our Kia Ohme can get the charge limit from the car so will adjust the schedule based on this, which can screw up the schedule.

Its worth confirming how the cost cap works. I don’t think it’s a hard limit. It will try to restrict charging to the cheap periods but if you’ve essentially asked Ohme to charge the car to full, and it can’t do that in four cheap hours, then it will charge at whatever rate. I have seen it mess up the charge time calculator, which was weird but it sorted itself out eventually.

If you’re just wanting it to charge only at a set time you should set a timer,l and disconnect it from the car api to avoid any unexpected changes.

If it’s still messing you about raise a ticket with Ohme. Their support is very good. They’ll be able to check the logs and account settings.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What settings do you have on this page View attachment 149478
None of them apart from Push Notifications.
As I only want to charge at the cheap rate and the charger’s programmed with my tariff details, Ohme recommended setting just the maximum price to the cheap rate and it should take car of the rest.

Interestingly when smart charging occurs properly at the correct times, I always get the push notification on my phone when my wife plugs in.

When it just starts and continues charging immediately it’s plugged in, there’s no notification.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Ohme cable always fires up at maximum charge rate, It then does whatever it’s told by the server when it makes contact after a a couple of minutes. I don’t believe the hardwired version works this way but might be wrong.

Does the OP have the charger setup to use the car api? With our Kia Ohme can get the charge limit from the car so will adjust the schedule based on this, which can screw up the schedule.

Its worth confirming how the cost cap works. I don’t think it’s a hard limit. It will try to restrict charging to the cheap periods but if you’ve essentially asked Ohme to charge the car to full, and it can’t do that in four cheap hours, then it will charge at whatever rate. I have seen it mess up the charge time calculator, which was weird but it sorted itself out eventually.

If you’re just wanting it to charge only at a set time you should set a timer,l and disconnect it from the car api to avoid any unexpected changes.

If it’s still messing you about raise a ticket with Ohme. Their support is very good. They’ll be able to check the logs and account settings.
It’s set up with the tariff details which it recognises, along with the max price cap set to the cheap rate 5.5p.

It recognises both and tells me it can only charge between 0130 and 0630 but sometimes randomly starts and continues charging immediately it’s plugged in.

When it does this I don’t get the usual notification on my phone that I do get when smart charging happens as it should.

When it does work properly, notification arrives and the charging turns off within seconds of being plugged in and the correct smart charging lights spear on the charger.

I’m sure they’ll sort it.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
Ohme unit does not store charge schedule. It pulls that every time the unit is plugged in.

By design it starts charging the car while waiting for schedule to be received. I went through a period where signal strength was great but unit would start max charge due to no connection.

I have a hard stop in the morning and I plug in closer to Go Faster start time to avoid pain at 20:30 every night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
800 Posts
Anyone else have issues with their Ohme Smart Charger firing up into life at unwanted times?

Ours is setup with no scheduled completion time. Just the price limit only so that It turns on and off during the 0130hrs to 0630hrs of our Octopus GoFaster tariff.
I honestly didn't know you could operate it like that with no schedule defined to provide it with a target and an end time to reach it.

I have one schedule defined, and the 5p limit enabled. I just edit the schedule as and when to change the target, eg. When I need 100% instead of 80%. It never misses a beat.

The way you use it strikes me as being equivalent to a dumb charger on a timer, unless I am misunderstanding. If that's the case, couldn't you just de-link the app and make it work as a dumb charger, and set a timer in the car?

Failing that, try it as I have it. Set 1 schedule, set the target to 100, set the end time to 6.30am and turn on the limit and see how that goes.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I honestly didn't know you could operate it like that with no schedule defined to provide it with a target and an end time to reach it.

I have one schedule defined, and the 5p limit enabled. I just edit the schedule as and when to change the target, eg. When I need 100% instead of 80%. It never misses a beat.

The way you use it strikes me as being equivalent to a dumb charger on a timer, unless I am misunderstanding. If that's the case, couldn't you just de-link the app and make it work as a dumb charger, and set a timer in the car?

Failing that, try it as I have it. Set 1 schedule, set the target to 100, set the end time to 6.30am and turn on the limit and see how that goes.
It’s set up with the correct tariff details and a maximum price cap. It states this means it can only charge between 0130 and 0530 so it knows what times to charge, what times not to charge. It’s working as a smart charger so with the car set to charge immediately it’s plugged in, it shouldn’t need any other timers set.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ohme unit does not store charge schedule. It pulls that every time the unit is plugged in.

By design it starts charging the car while waiting for schedule to be received. I went through a period where signal strength was great but unit would start max charge due to no connection.

I have a hard stop in the morning and I plug in closer to Go Faster start time to avoid pain at 20:30 every night

This sounds familiar. Whilst our reception on most mobile networks is fine it might be the unit’s is not so much. It’d make more sense to build the units with wifi as well or instead of.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
This sounds familiar. Whilst our reception on most mobile networks is fine it might be the unit’s is not so much. It’d make more sense to build the units with wifi as well or instead of.
Over while I was on Agile Ohme charged for almost 3 hours as it could not pull the schedule. Reconnecting fixed it not car was half way charged at 3x the cheaper overnight rate back then

1 - 18 of 18 Posts