Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the eGolf sat nav can direct you to the nearest charging point during a journey... my new car arrives next Tuesday and I'm excited, 64yrs old and never had a new car in my life. Look forward to your comments. Thx

·
Registered
16 Posts
it does. You need to tether your phone and then it does an online look up via car net. Tbh, I’ve found zap map a better bet on my phone though

·
Registered
250 Posts
The satnav in the e-Golf does not have all of the recent charging points. I have added some newer ones as Points of Interest, but the lack of an up to date and easily downloadable list of points makes this difficult. Again Zap-Map, PlugShare, WattsApp, etc. on a smartphone are much more up to date.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the download is relatively easy - either link to your home wifi if the car is parked close enough to home or else set your phone up as a wifi hotspot and use that, same method for real time traffic

VW claim the list is continually updated, but i've not used it enough to validate

·
Registered
250 Posts
Updating the SatNav is fine - I usually do it to a SD Card from my computer, then update the SatnNav from the card in the car. I still do not think that the VW updates add charging points, certainly in the UK, to be anywhere as complete as they should be. It is still useful to update the Satnav with the new roads, etc.

However, my point was about getting a full and up to date list of charging points is not easy. There used to be (it is still about) openchargemap but there are a lot of charging networks that do not update it. The likes of PlugShare and ZapMap do not have any useful data export, as openchargemap does, to create a POI list which can be used to install on the Satnav.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts