Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so much for test driving the e golf. we booked a test drive for this morning via head office. so 11.00am we embark on the 50 mile round trip to solihull all excited. I notice that there's nothing parked in the e station. still they have probably taken it off ready for us to drive.
on entry we are diverted to get a coffee past the electric prototype. then things take a turn for the worse.

10 mins later and reception comes over to explain that we can't test drive the car as they sold it and that headquarters didn't tell them we were coming. I expressed my disappointment that no one could tell us not to come.

apparently it's our fault for not calling the dealership directly.
the salesperson couldn't find 2 minutes to talk to us about it. and they couldn't tell us when or of we can drive an egolf as they're waiting for one from the factory.

I find this all pretty pathetic to be honest. we called vw headquarters back who are going to investigate but I fully expect some bull... excuses and circular blaming.

Looks like the vw is out of the running for us as vw don't actually really want to sell any.

Sorry for the rant but It's an hour of our weekend and fuel costs for no reason. grrre

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
This is exasperating! When you say you booked though head office, was this through your company, through the retailer chain's head office or through the online booking? I wasn't aware that you could book test drives through VW head office.

I absolutely share your disgust at crappy VW retailer customer service. It's a shame that you will be deprived of the delights of an eGolf because of it - although obviously it makes sense in any case now to wait for the new one with the bigger battery, unless you can get a good deal on a used one, as the range is not an issue for most practical purposes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was booked through fleet at vw headoffice. although the better half booked it so I can't be 100%. the dealership did know however and we called this morning before setting off to advise we'd be 10 mins late. at no point did they say car wasn't available. absolutely rubbish isn't it!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Earlier this year I booked test drives at Solihull for E-Golf & E-up, but neither was available once I got there (Only a 60 mile round trip wasted). I was promised test drives 'would definitely happen' in a couple of weeks, but this time the E-up was sold 'the day before'. I did try the E-Golf, but it wasn't for me.
The sales team seemed uninterested in selling any type of EV and sent the youngest, least experienced representative to deal with me.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
The sales team seemed uninterested in selling any type of EV and sent the youngest, least experienced representative to deal with me.
They get no incentive for selling them, and VW did not pay dealers for lost revenue due to missing target due to diesel gate. They aren't going to sell you anything other than a PHEV, because they need the commission.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
The breathtaking arrogance of VW right from the top through to its dealers is why I and many others will never consider them again.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
I emailed to arrange a test drive for a eGolf 3 years ago, I am still waiting.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I can arrange test drives in the Milton Keynes area for e-Golf and Golf GTE - just drop me a line.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It is a hard car to buy. Dealership model doesn't work for EVs as you don't need to service them much so dealer does make money on servicing.

The sales people try their hardest to sell you something else.

My recommendation is deposit on a Tesla 3 and lease something else for 2 years

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,553 Posts
I had very similar experience with Nissan, TBH. I arrange the test drive, but did check with the dealer beforehand (wanted to make sure my car was secure for the few days of the test drive). They had heard nothing about the test drive.

Nissan lost a sale. VW also lost a sale because I was all ready and set to pick up an e-Up but after fighting no less than 4 dealers for the right to buy one, I gave up.

I would tend to imagine my experience would be the same had I gone straight to Vauxhall for the Ampera too. However, that one I picked up from Lex Autolease 'CarSelect' who delivered to me the best, most outstanding car purchase experience I have ever had (not perfect, but the bumps in the path were managed superbly), and so I vowed never to buy from anywhere else again.... then they closed down a year later.
facepalm.gif

It is a story of UK car dealerships. VW is not unique, but they are one of the worst.

Ask VW Head Office for your travelling money back. I would argue it falls under losses due to an 'omission of information' by a company. 45p/mile x 100 miles = £45.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
That is dreadful but I have heard this before regarding the reluctance to sell EVs.

It has been a recurring theme with some dealers/manufacturers. Take Vauxhall for example... for all of the time that they sold the Ampera they were reluctant to advertise, to talk in dealers, to arrange test drives, to offer proper service and support. Don't take my word for it... there is ample evidence from the many posts on this forum!

Vauxhall and VW are not the only ones either. It seems endemic that the car sales people of today just don't want to sell EVs. Perhaps it is because it takes a lot more effort and support first of all learning it themselves and then educating the prospective buyers and yet they don't get any more money.

I am sorry to hear that you are suffering the same experience.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
It is a hard car to buy. Dealership model doesn't work for EVs as you don't need to service them much so dealer does make money on servicing.

The sales people try their hardest to sell you something else.

My recommendation is deposit on a Tesla 3 and lease something else for 2 years
BMW aren't having such difficult with the dealership model, so it can't be that hard.

If you want a car now a M3 isn't going to help you much.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have an m3. but that's from bmw ;)

funnily enough we drove the i3 this afternoon. the experience couldn't have been more different.

roseate was fully knowledgeable. the car is configurable and the test drive was excellent. the 35kw pack gives a decent range so it's a serious contender for us. vw may be bringing out a higher capacity pack but with the level of support from vw I wouldn't buy one if you were giving me the money!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
This sounds like my experience a little over 12 months ago, VW dealer in Derby even had their demo car for sale but couldn't be bothered to call me back and other local dealerships didn't carry the car.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
I've found every car dealership I've ever dealt with have been lacking in some respect.

BMW have come close to being as good as you'd imagine buying a new car should be, but generally speaking I try to interact with all dealers as little as possible.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
To be fair, having successfully managed to acquire an eGolf 18 months ago, apart from getting registered with CarNet, for which I received excellent support from VW customer service, I have needed zero support for my car as it has all gone just swimmingly...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts