Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4500 miles in and have a puncture in one of the rear tyre. This happened early December but apparently Bridgestone are not due to release any more tyres until after 6th Jan 2020 - KwikFit cannot source them, even direct - VW don’t have any in the dealer network apparently and their suppliers don’t stock them. I called VW direct and they have told me it’s a wear and tear issue so nothing to do with them!
It’s crazy that a seemingly rare tyre isn’t held at a gateway somewhere for a vehicle supplied by one of the largest car manufacturers in the world, when the tyre is not apparently that in demand. The vehicle will have been out of normal action for nearly a month once the tyre is replaced - def food for thought when thinking about my next EV supplier!!!
Anyone else having/had this issue?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,635 Posts
I presume this is a lease/company car, and you’re tied to Kwik Fit via the lease company and they’ll only swap out for the identical tyre?

If not, just shop around at other suppliers, or get a similar tyre or pair of tyres in the correct size and rating.

If it’s off the road due to your lease company/tyre supply contract, then that’s a problem with them and not the car.

Is it a Bridgestone Turanza?

·
Registered
194 Posts
What size and where in the UK are you? I took my 4 17s off because I preferred to run all season. They have only done 1500 miles.

·
Registered
120 Posts
4500 miles in and have a puncture in one of the rear tyre. This happened early December but apparently Bridgestone are not due to release any more tyres until after 6th Jan 2020 - KwikFit cannot source them, even direct - VW don’t have any in the dealer network apparently and their suppliers don’t stock them. I called VW direct and they have told me it’s a wear and tear issue so nothing to do with them!
It’s crazy that a seemingly rare tyre isn’t held at a gateway somewhere for a vehicle supplied by one of the largest car manufacturers in the world, when the tyre is not apparently that in demand. The vehicle will have been out of normal action for nearly a month once the tyre is replaced - def food for thought when thinking about my next EV supplier!!!
Anyone else having/had this issue?
As other people have mentioned look online.Thats bullcrap wat your being told.its just an excuse to get you to buy winter or all season tyres no doubt.

·
Registered
900 Posts
As other people have mentioned look online.Thats bullcrap wat your being told.its just an excuse to get you to buy winter or all season tyres no doubt.
Agree it's not good, but seeing the struggle I had getting all season tyres, let alone winters, when I lived down south I'd be surprised if it's because they want to sell those instead.

I'll add my voice to the look online or replace with better tyres crowd. I've got Michelin Cross Climates on, they're vastly better than my stock Turanzas were in the wet. I wasn't brave enough to try frost or snow on the stock tyres.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, they are Turanzas - I tend to always try and stick with the manufacturers original tyres if I can, but would happily swap to Michelin if I needed 2/4 tyres. The other three tyres have only done 5k from new so looking for the same tyre rather than buying a pair. SE Tyres in Sevenoaks have managed to source one for me so they should be here shortly. It’s our car, but on our business, so not tied to Kwik Fit - just went there out of convenience and was very surprised they couldn’t get one, but SE Tyres could! A VW dealer actually recommended them - I had forgotten to try them thinking their supply would be the same as KF!

Does seem odd still that you can’t get hold of the original tyre - they are still providing the vehicle, new, with those tyres!
Thank you all for tips and advice! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
Tyres is one place where sticking with the manufacturers choice isn't always a good thing. Manufactures don't seem to fit top spec tyres on new cars. In the case of EV's there are a few cases were swapping them out is a real bonus. My wife really doesn't care about tyres and can rarely tell the difference but she was very pleased when we replaced the tyres on the e-Golf with Cross Climates.
The other EV where several people on this forum have replaced the stock tyres because the grip isn't great is the Kona.

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
Does seem odd still that you can’t get hold of the original tyre - they are still providing the vehicle, new, with those tyres!
Manufacturers generally use whatever they can source the cheapest within their spec, if Bridgestone’s are drying up, VW will use some other brand who can supply.

Glad you’re sorted anyway!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Agree it's not good, but seeing the struggle I had getting all season tyres, let alone winters, when I lived down south I'd be surprised if it's because they want to sell those instead.

I'll add my voice to the look online or replace with better tyres crowd. I've got Michelin Cross Climates on, they're vastly better than my stock Turanzas were in the wet. I wasn't brave enough to try frost or snow on the stock tyres.
Yeah I understand wat your saying.I ordered michelin crossclimates for my mums fiat 500 online through kwikfit.The weird thing was they where the cheapest by miles.When I priced the crossclimates for my golf with 17s they told me £370 which I thought was pretty good.
Yeah the roads are getting greasy now and the snow/ice dont make it any easier.I had a set of winters in my previous car and the difference is night and day.But I wouldn't recommend winters in an egolf.I think the Michelins are the best bet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Tyres is one place where sticking with the manufacturers choice isn't always a good thing. Manufactures don't seem to fit top spec tyres on new cars. In the case of EV's there are a few cases were swapping them out is a real bonus. My wife really doesn't care about tyres and can rarely tell the difference but she was very pleased when we replaced the tyres on the e-Golf with Cross Climates.
The other EV where several people on this forum have replaced the stock tyres because the grip isn't great is the Kona.
I have to disagree with you,Im thinking depends on the manufacturer.My egolf came with dunlop,not a big fan of them.My previous car a bmw m240 came with Michelins,and the car before that the 330d had Goodyear runflats.i genuinely never had issues that way.My mum fiat 500 came with continentals.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, they are Turanzas - I tend to always try and stick with the manufacturers original tyres if I can, but would happily swap to Michelin if I needed 2/4 tyres. The other three tyres have only done 5k from new so looking for the same tyre rather than buying a pair. SE Tyres in Sevenoaks have managed to source one for me so they should be here shortly. It’s our car, but on our business, so not tied to Kwik Fit - just went there out of convenience and was very surprised they couldn’t get one, but SE Tyres could! A VW dealer actually recommended them - I had forgotten to try them thinking their supply would be the same as KF!

Thank you all for tips and advice! Much appreciated.
If you go to kwik fit go online it's cheaper.they are pretty fly that way.charge more at the shop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are the Michelin cross climate low resistance Q rates tyres? The speed rating is low and think they are probably quite hard too, hence poor grip.

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
Are the Michelin cross climate low resistance Q rates tyres? The speed rating is low and think they are probably quite hard too, hence poor grip.
They offer much better grip than the factory fit Bridgestone’s that were on my e-Golf, and they’re much quieter than them as well.

Some people don’t notice, but I was driving my Dad to one of his very regular hospital appointments recently, and he asked me out of the blue whether I’d changed my tyres as ‘the annoying drone sound had gone’...

·
Registered
417 Posts
I swapped my stock 16” Turanzas for CrossClmates within a month as even at the beginning of Autumn I could tell the grip was lousy and couldn’t handle instant torque pull always with anything but the lightest of acceleration. I’ve been happy with that decision, it cost me around £200 (factoring in a free echo show I got from Kwik Fit that I eBayed along with the stock tyres).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts