Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its 2011.
"Evil Fossil Fuel Corporation" announce they are convinced by electric cars and are given a monopoly on rolling out chargers on MSA's. Conspiracy !! everyone shouts.
But no, they roll it out. For a while.
Then they stop maintaining, they have no out of hours support, they have one or two chargers only per location, they dont really support the new Europe wide standard, they wont allow anyone else to install chargers.
Negative articles regularly appear in the press about the difficulties of charging, how they are often broken, how you cannot get support, how chargers are broken for weeks, all grist to the mill of anti EV proponents. Even articles and reviews on new sexy cars like the iPace mention charging difficulties.
Negative articles even appear from EV drivers in the main national newspapers.
See the conspiracy theorists say, told you so.

OK, so now its 2018.
Whats the difference between EH and our hypothetical evil FF corporation wishing to discredit EVs ? ?
Is it even worse because obviously its not an evil corporation and so "it must an inherent EV problem"?

Are they not, right now doing more harm to EVs more than a Bond villain in "You Only Charge Sometimes"
...... "No Mr Bond, I expect you to use petrol"

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Give EH a break, Im sure they will come good with next gen faster chargers. I'm hoping that will include faster Chademo (now that we are no longer bound by that EU silly CCS mandated - German automaker imperialism)

Dale states that it's all going to be App and RFID and Subscription free.

No reason at all why we should not believe him????

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
One of the reasons why we should embrace the upgraded Chademo std, is because this is obviously going to be the future Chinese/Japanese standard which will be the most massive market in the world and we should be part of that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Dale seemed to be keen on CCS in the recent interview with him on fullycharged, but hopefully there are enough Leafs out there to keep chademo supported for the foreseeable...

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I'll be happier when chademo units can give the full 50kw off the bat for my leaf as every little helps bring down the time spent there

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Dale said the problem with CCS chargers affected foreign systems as well, and has now been understood. Most Ecotricity chargers have had the fix applied, the rest should be done in a week's time. Or was it 2 weeks time.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Oh my god I used 3 chargers today from Bristol to Manchester and a 4th was a nissan delayed and they all worked, even the 3 electric highway ones!
What's the worle coming to when I have to scrap my backup plans and rely on chargers on trunk roads from EH?

I'm even going to the lakes and back and about tomorrow probably another 250miles and relying on them, I'm worried I'm pushing my luck and my reading of zapmap will fail me. What will I do? Should I write a news article about it and bitch and moan as I'm inept and can't plan routes and such

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I'm worried I'm pushing my luck and my reading of zapmap will fail me.
If Nissan updated the charging locations on the in-car system more often than once a year, then you wouldn't need to worry about zap-map.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
No one seems to be disputing the chargers were broken or did not work. That for me is the issue. It is no comfort that one person can get lucky and complete a trip with lots of planning. And it sickens me that Robert and Dale seem to take these problems so lightly and deny any problems. They are more interested in hiding bad news than improving the network for mainstream use. Asking for good news tweets to hide the failings of eh is just not cricket old boy.

Richard

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
No one seems to be disputing the chargers were broken or did not work. That for me is the issue. It is no comfort that one person can get lucky and complete a trip with lots of planning. And it sickens me that Robert and Dale seem to take these problems so lightly and deny any problems. They are more interested in hiding bad news than improving the network for mainstream use. Asking for good news tweets to hide the failings of eh is just not cricket old boy.

Richard
She was just a stupid journo who put no effort into a trial research unless it was in purpose to find the duff chargers and 'try' to use them.

If Nissan updated the charging locations on the in-car system more often than once a year, then you wouldn't need to worry about zap-map.
This really gets my goat as my address book is full of entries for chargers not on the map.
It still irks me that some zapmap points are just way off. What Three Words support would be easily done

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
She was just a stupid journo who put no effort into a trial research unless it was in purpose to find the duff chargers and 'try' to use them.
That's the whole point - There should be no broken chargers. We need to encourage BEV ownership with a reliable national network. Not propaganda tweets.

Richard

·
The best there is at what I do
10,633 Posts
Oh my god I used 3 chargers today from Bristol to Manchester and a 4th was a nissan delayed and they all worked, even the 3 electric highway ones!
What's the worle coming to when I have to scrap my backup plans and rely on chargers on trunk roads from EH?

I'm even going to the lakes and back and about tomorrow probably another 250miles and relying on them, I'm worried I'm pushing my luck and my reading of zapmap will fail me. What will I do? Should I write a news article about it and bitch and moan as I'm inept and can't plan routes and such
I bet this story doesn't appear in the DM:D

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
It would do but they would twist it so the headline was something like, National car charging network fails to meet customer expectations multiple times on the same day...

To add to this I have used a good few chargers in the last two days and had no issue what so ever...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Give EH a break, Im sure they will come good with next gen faster chargers. I'm hoping that will include faster Chademo (now that we are no longer bound by that EU silly CCS mandated - German automaker imperialism)
Well next time I stick my car on the Portsmouth-Shanghai ferry service on my holidays I'll be sure to thank you for your wise advice. Rule Britannia.

·
Registered
786 Posts
2 months on from the start of this thread and I'm not aware of one charger being added to the EH, meanwhile 118 CCS capable chargers installed by others. All rather sad really.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,633 Posts
The POIs on the i3 Sat Nav haven't been updated for years, it has no idea where the charge points are which is kind of strange for an EV, I rely on Zap Map and Google Maps and wonder why I paid for the pro Sat Nav upgrade.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I had to use an EH unit yesterday, one that was on Free Vend since it was installed. No more!

Whatever they've done appears to have stopped FV for good - which is good news for them, but not for us! Maybe I need to buy a lead-lined "charger condom" and keep it in the boot. Guessing that's probably fraud, though...

Still, for EH, I guess more £££ = more chargers. We can hope.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts