Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an eye appointment at a hospital about 3 miles from home on Friday which involved eye dilating drops meaning I couldn't drive back for a few hours. I decided to try out one of the electric hire bikes operating in London. As I could do so as a one way trip and avoiding contacts on the 2 busses I would have had to take otherwise. This is just a quick note about my experience.

The bike was a Jump branded one, which used to be run by UBER, but now sold to the competing Lime brand, the ride's controlled by either the UBER or Lime app. The cost was £1.00 admin fee and 15p per minute. It took about 10 minutes to walk to the location where the bike was left. I used the UBER app, scanned the QR code but found the bike still locked. I had noticed a cable coming out of a box on the side of the bike by the rear wheel and assumed this was the battery and a cable connecting it to the bike, wrong this was the lock. There were no instructions on the bike so I emailed support then out of desperation pulled the cable, which turned out to be the lock. The bike was beeping but it let me ride it electrically assisted. I got to the hospital 23 minutes after un-locking the bike having cycled 3 miles electrically assisted. The level of assistance was ok, the bike had 3 gears and with a bit of pedal effort I was probably doing 20mph on a heavy sit up and beg style bike. The app had deleted the ride so I couldn't end it. After my appointment my eysight was ok so I cycled the same bike home, a slightly shorter 2.75 miles. I was charged £3.55 for the return trip and was later charged £4.55 for the trip there, but later on got a £2.70 refund for that trip as I'd sent the email making the cost £1.75. The trip back was about double the price that busses would have been but probably took about 1/4 of the time that going by bus and walking the remainder would have been. The saddle was too wide and not very comfy, but I'd use them again if the need arises. the price was ok but I felt the £1.00 admin charge was a little high.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.