Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any electric bike users? I’m about to buy a Specialized Vado 3 and wondered if anyone else has experience of their electric bikes, problems etc.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think there's a few people on here with DIY conversions from another recent post. I've only just converted my first 700c road bike with a Dillinger rear hub motor conversion kit. Good value for money and enough power for my needs. I've only had mine a week so no time for issues! I did a good 35 mile ride in the recent 40 mph winds with heavy rain and it both survived and helped me maintain a decent pace despite the headwind at times.

I was looking at an Orbea Gain e-bike potentially via the Cycle To Work scheme but my place is still only offering £1000 vouchers so decided on converting my 2014 Felt road bike after researching conversion kits.

Not as light or elegant like some factory integrated ebikes but does have some other advantages ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Any electric bike users? I’m about to buy a Specialized Vado 3 and wondered if anyone else has experience of their electric bikes, problems etc.
Have you done a ride on this e-bike?

My use case was different to yours as I wanted a bike to go up hills and use only for fun, so I bought a KTM Machina Action Plus in July 2015, so I do have a few years of experience. The bike you are quoting looks to be a fine spec in terms of battery capacity, motor power and brakes (hydraulic brakes are important on e-bikes), but I am a little concerned that you cannot directly control the "assistance" level and it is governed by how hard you pedal - this may have an implication for range - and I did not find out how much it weighs either. These e-bikes are a good work-out when the battery is exhausted.

I have a Bosch Performance Line powertrain, and the battery has empirically degraded about 10%, so no worries there - although the cost of replacement batteries is quite eye-watering.

Not looking at this market much, so I am rather surprised that the price of these e-bikes on a like-for-like basis have barely come down in price these last 5 years.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I've just bought a Wisper 806 (with the Torque Pack) which is a folder:

My wife has had one for 2 years and it has been excellent. The only work they have needed it to fit a derailleur guard to protect the mech when it is over on its side.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your insight.

I had no idea that retrofitting a bike with an electric motor was even a possibility - so that looks great, I did consider getting a road bike (Looked at a Specialized Allez, but eventually thought an electric bike would suit me better.

I have never ridden/rode? an electric bike before, but understand that model has a very smooth powertrain - and it has 4 feels of assistance you can alter depending on how you feel! LoL

My reasoning was to get to work and back, but also to try and become fitter by using my bike for more journeys rather than the car. I have had lots of times in the past where I am just too tired to cycle say, to the shops.

I have read many times electric bike apparently make you get out more!

Thats annoying your cycle to work scheme still limits you, Im getting this bike on the scheme, but they have lifted the limits now in most places, maybe if you keep checking your may lift too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm still trying to get my head around the power and battery sizes. Initially thought I would require an 11Ah+ battery at least but the pre-built bikes don't usually come with much more than 6-8Ah. Look up the popular Swytch conversion kit which offers 5 or 7 Ah batteries as well.

I believe that's possible due to the official limit of 250W (none are that low really) and the required 15.5 mph speed restriction. That with PAS only set to a medium level then yes you can achieve the 25-50+ mile ranges being quoted. Obviously saves weight and cost too.

What I've found with my kit is you get an instant shove from low speed which tails off as you reach a certain speed. The different levels of PAS work more up to a higher speed and then kicks in again if you start to slow due to a slope or head wind. So when cruising along at a steady speed I can see the motor is barely trickling in assistance. Only a throttle would give you a fixed amount of power regardless of speed and cadence from what I've seen. They are very much restricted for road use though.

So you should still get some decent exercise as you can ramp the PAS up and down to suit your mood and tiredness. Yes it's addictive and you want more power but in reality the standard 250W are very good and it's only the current 15.5 mph limit which is annoying. Not so bad in town but my commute is cross country so would have been next to useless at the speeds I usually cycle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts