1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
In related news I also saw London Mayor Khan has said London buses will be all electric by... 2037. FFS.

Still... I guess both stories are good news... sort of.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Aberdeen has a small fleet of Hydrogen/electric buses, I love using them.
Acceleration is much better than the ICE buses (or maybe the drivers just like using it more)
And so smooth.
Unfortunately, reliability is shocking.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Oxford City Council wins £1.7m to introduce Oxford’s first fully-electric double-decker buses | Oxford City Council

Wonder what kind of range these 5 buses will get and whether they are viable in the near future without this kind of grant. Great to see though.
Note that the only fully-electric buses they are getting right now are the open top tour buses. I suspect that means range won't be a problem as they just go slowly round and round the centre of the city. The other 78 buses involved are just being retrofitted to Euro VI standard.

I'd give the council a 'good, but could do better' mark.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Note that the only fully-electric buses they are getting right now are the open top tour buses. I suspect that means range won't be a problem as they just go slowly round and round the centre of the city. The other 78 buses involved are just being retrofitted to Euro VI standard.

I'd give the council a 'good, but could do better' mark.
Hadn't thought about the speed element, good point. But can see the wider logic in doing the open top ones too as they drive only centrally, the area of greatest concern re pollution. I did see the rest was retrofitting filters, which is actually where the range question came from - I'm guessing its still too difficult to make EVs operationally efficient on the other routes?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
They used to have electric buses many years ago, i.e. trolley buses. Then they took away the infrastructure just like Beeching did with the railways. Now both types of transport are on the up again. So much for forward-looking.

·
Leave in a Leaf
478 Posts
Nottingham is rammed with electric buses - over 50 of them last time I was there - but all single deckers.
The doubles are still stinkers.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I can't see why most busses aren't at least plug-in hybrids. Most of the pollution comes from the stop/start and the weight of that.
Maybe pulling some of the massive subsidies for non plug-in or ev busses would help?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like the perfect politician: "And I guarantee that my successors will have to do the right thing!"
That's not actually what is happening. In London all new buses will be electric or hybrid from this year. We already have 2000 hybrid buses in London and we have a small fleet of electric double deckers as well as a fleet of electric single deckers and a fleet of hydrogen single deckers. It may take until 2037 to phase out any bus with an ICE engine, including hybrids (though I expect they will have been convereted to full electric by then).

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
That's not actually what is happening. In London all new buses will be electric or hybrid from this year. We already have 2000 hybrid buses in London and we have a small fleet of electric double deckers as well as a fleet of electric single deckers and a fleet of hydrogen single deckers. It may take until 2037 to phase out any bus with an ICE engine, including hybrids (though I expect they will have been convereted to full electric by then).
That's still an awfull lot that will have to happen beyond the current mandate. You can see the link above for Shengen having already achieved it. Is London that much poorer?

·
Registered
698 Posts

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Lots of the regular Oxford busses (both Stagecoach and Oxford Bus company) are hybrid:
Hybrids : Oxford Bus Company
BBC - Stagecoach's electric hybrid buses launch in Oxford
Some kind of mild hybrid, but not plug-in hybrid. You still end up sitting in traffic behind something blazoned with 'green hybrid' adverts and churning out noxious fumes. Whatever sort of hybrid they are doesn't seem capable of cutting out the engine when going slowly or stopped.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some kind of mild hybrid, but not plug-in hybrid. You still end up sitting in traffic behind something blazoned with 'green hybrid' adverts and churning out noxious fumes. Whatever sort of hybrid they are doesn't seem capable of cutting out the engine when going slowly or stopped.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
I use them regularly. Essentially a 'bus Prius' and only really uses battery to start off from 0-10mph but they usually do cut out when stationary.

Reactions: Duncan23

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
There are a variety of different ones. The ones I normally catch (#8) cut the engine when stopped at bus stops and pull away to 10mph or so purely on electricity - you can hear (and feel) the engine start.

It's not super impressive - I'm sure you could run a load of these routes with a pure electric bus. But it's better than just diesel...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Khan is just ignoring the disgusting problem with London buses. If he was to sell off the current bus fleet it would be worth a lot of money which could go towards replacing them ALL with EV buses. If he waits until 2037 those buses will be worthless and will have had millions spent on keeping them running.

London stinks of diesel and it's a disgrace how Khan is behaving while pretending he is all green.

Makes me wonder about his 'My dad was a bus driver' skit indeed.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
387 Posts
Khan is just ignoring the disgusting problem with London buses. If he was to sell off the current bus fleet it would be worth a lot of money which could go towards replacing them ALL with EV buses. If he waits until 2037 those buses will be worthless and will have had millions spent on keeping them running.

London stinks of diesel and it's a disgrace how Khan is behaving while pretending he is all green.
TFL don't actually own the buses, They can specify what type of vehicle is used when a route is tendered, but the company who wins the tender owns the buses.
As a route is usually tendered every 5-7 years it would probably take nearly 10 years to completely replace the whole fleet.
Replacing all TFL buses with EV's would require changes in the way routes operate. A lot of London routes cover between 200-300 miles in a day, usually with short turn around times, the technology is still a bit short on what is required for day to day operations.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yeah those Oxford hybrids are pretty crap.
They churn out lots of fumes for the cyclists to inhale.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts