Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a non political question, but I did read an item about electric buses. After a bit more reading, I discovered that they actually exist in London and more are slowly being rolled out.

But I would like to understand how these work. I have done some surfing but cannot find much really.

What I am curious about is things like how many batteries, what capacity, what range and how long to charge? A bit like EV car questions really? :)

Can anyone enlighten me or point me in the right direction please?

·
The best there is at what I do
10,652 Posts
I've been following the electric fire engine story with interest, I'm sure electric ambulances can't be far away either, I've noticed some council vans are now electric so things are slowly moving in the right direction.

·
Registered
204 Posts
There's a trial at Birmingham airport using some as shuttle buses between the terminal and the car parks, which seems a good application.

That said, and this is political, it's rather ironic that DfT and OLEV in Whitehall can find £1.4M of public funds for an e-bus trial at an airport car park, while those same car parks have no provision for EV charging for the hundreds of thousands of cars which use them each year.

·
Registered
843 Posts
You get few clues what’s inside the workings. I have seen video of a park and ride scheme bus on here. The words said the batteries are Tesla. In the pictures there were two separate charging sockets so the assumption would be two Tesla batteries. Whether that also means two motors is another question.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Naturally it's something that seems to be already well underway in Norway. . .
I found a cleantechnica piece with a few details, battery capacity, range and charging speed, at least for the ones in Oslo.
For some reason my phone doesn't want to let me link it here now.

·
Registered
325 Posts

Reactions: Geoff_S

·
Registered
191 Posts
If Tesla are supplying the batteries they are onto a winner (is it built into their share price?)
However I am not yet convinced that electric buses are the way forward for a fleet of vehicles on fixed routes, likewise I am sure (not) that the policy has been thought fully through.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I'm sure electric ambulances can't be far away either
It would depend a lot on the location. Here, they will be zipping up and down the motorway 15 miles each way to the main hospital several times a day. In a life-threatening situation they couldn't afford to have them off the road for any length of time charging.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's a trial at Birmingham airport using some as shuttle buses between the terminal and the car parks, which seems a good application.

That said, and this is political, it's rather ironic that DfT and OLEV in Whitehall can find £1.4M of public funds for an e-bus trial at an airport car park, while those same car parks have no provision for EV charging for the hundreds of thousands of cars which use them each year.

Crikey, 6 minutes to charge the Volvo! Astonishing! My e Golf would only be about 3 minutes then ?

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Rex EV ambulances would make a lot of sense. That way you can have 100's of miles of range added in seconds, while refilling gently whenever there's a break in demand. That's one of the things I love about my Ampera, the ability to just get in & go anywhere at zero notice without any time spent hunting for chargers on zap-map, no Plan B needs, just easy-peasy. And that's why I'm eyeing up the Mazda MX-30 rex coming soon, hopefully with towing capability.

·
Registered
826 Posts
A couple of the bus routes have been converted to BEV busses in London, they aren't everywhere. Generally the busses have enough range for 1 days use. Most of them are BYE chassis with Alexander Dennis coachworks. I think I read somewhere that the batteries are Lithium ion phosphate. The batteries are arranged into identical modules and the required range dictahe how many modules are fitted. Some are mounted in the rear where a diesel engine would have been and some on the roof. Charging is via 2 CCS sockets which allow a full charge overnight.

Operationally they are nearly silent and there is no diesel to make everything resonate at tick over. No doubt more routes will be converted but it needs quite a bit of infrastructure to instaĺl 20+ rapid chargers in a garage together with a big enough mains supply for them all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had to laugh at this bit of greenwashing.
Guildford Borough Council and the District Council (Waverley) are IMHO, very poor at providing EV charging even at the park and ride sites. If I used one of the AC chargers in the town it would cost me over £50 (plus parking fees) to charge my car.
Yes, the park and ride busses are Electric. With an Alexander Dennis factory in the town they should be. But they are doing very little else.
AFAIK, Waverley stopped Farnham Town Council from putting in chargers in their car parks. The Town Mayor at the time drove a Zoe.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The BYD ones go ~300 miles. Seems pretty good.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,830 Posts
If you Google Chinese electric busses you will find plenty of them. There's a city that has 100 percent electric busses.
Annual production seems to be about 90,000.
It has been calculated that the 350,000 electric busses in China have done more towards reducing global warming than all the rest of the electric vehicles in the world put together.

So it does seem to be working well!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts