This calculator is

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'd like to share an EV charging calculator. It shows how much time and money it will take you to charge your electric vehicle.
Electric car charging calculator

Electric car charging calculator Europe.png

Use it if you plan to charge your EV at home, at work or at any AC charging point.
The calculator is not applicable to DC charging stations, as DC fast charging works a bit differently. We promise to add a separate DC charging calculator in the near future!

How to use it?
  1. Pick your electric car from the dropdown list.
  2. Choose the socket you’re charging from or manually adjust voltage and amperage.
  3. Select how much you would like to charge your car. For example, you car’s battery has 25% left and you want to charge it up to 80%. In this case, move the slider to 65%.
  4. If you want to calculate the cost of charging, fill in how much you pay per kWh of electricity.
All in all, we hope this calculator made EV charging simple.
If you find it useful, please share it with your friends.

Your feedback (questions, comments or suggestions) will be appreciated!:)

I know that this is mostly a UK forum and you have different sockets. Please, share the most common socket-outlet types in the UK and their specs. With your help I'll be able to create a version for the UK.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You need two SoC sliders - One for current level and one for target, with a display of how much will be added. The maths may not be hard but people will get it wrong and it should be so easy to do in the calculator.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need two SoC sliders - One for current level and one for target, with a display of how much will be added. The maths may not be hard but people will get it wrong and it should be so easy to do in the calculator.
Thanks for the feedback! We'll add a slider with 2 points or two SoC sliders.
This is a beta-version and we'll create the final version based on the feedback we get from people like you.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
This appears to simply take the Power (kW not kWh btw) and Time but is not taking into account charging losses? Generally @ 15% loss I factor in for my Ampera. This may be a bit low or high for other cars but needs to be considered in my opinion. It's probably on the low side as this would give 11.73kWh in energy terms and I usually reckon its 12kWh to fully charge.

kWh is energy and is what you are billed for, kw is power and is what the device (car in this case ) consumes as in 2kW fire etc. Run the fire for 1 hour and you use 2kWh of energy and will be billed for the 2kWh used

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
"Pick a car from the drop down list": which drop down list?
"Choose the socket you are charging from": I'm not in the USA and there is no apparent way to change the socket.

Screenshot from my tablet. My Macbook did have a drop down list for the car type but was still showing a US socket and no way I could spot to change it.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
"Choose the socket you are charging from": I'm not in the USA and there is no apparent way to change the socket.

Screenshot from my tablet. My Macbook did have a drop down list for the car type but was still showing a US socket and no way I could spot to change it.
Did you miss the paragraph in bold at the bottom of the OP?

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Let me spell this out in words of not more than two syllables*:

The first post had a picture of EU sockets. I only see US sockets when I visit the website. I want to know how I select the sockets that were shown in that first post.

*Apart from that word: syllable has three syllables.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
It should be relatively easy to make this tool universal for all countries and their currencies by deleting all reference to the plugs and just giving options for the power and amps to be used. No need for pictures of plugs then. And each country just chooses the rate of charge at the socket. Also, there is no need for the $ sign as every country selecting its own cost per kWh will automatically calculate the total cost in their own currency. For instance, I just changed the rate to 15p for my UK cost per kWh and it calculated the total cost in £'s.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Let me spell this out in words of not more than two syllables*:

The first post had a picture of EU sockets. I only see US sockets when I visit the website. I want to know how I select the sockets that were shown in that first post.

*Apart from that word: syllable has three syllables.

Ye gods! :)

Firstly, you are entirely missing the point the OP makes in BOLD type where he says "I know that this is mostly a UK forum and you have different sockets. Please, share the most common socket-outlet types in the UK and their specs. With your help I'll be able to create a version for the UK."
It's a beta version and he's asking for suggestions because it needs work.

Second, visiting that link from a mobile device gets a different socket picture than from a PC (Android gets UK/European, Windows gets US.) Again, it's a beta version, don't expect it to meet your gold standard.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Ye gods! :)

Firstly, you are entirely missing the point the OP makes in BOLD type where he says "I know that this is mostly a UK forum and you have different sockets. Please, share the most common socket-outlet types in the UK and their specs. With your help I'll be able to create a version for the UK."
It's a beta version and he's asking for suggestions because it needs work.

Second, visiting that link from a mobile device gets a different socket picture than from a PC (Android gets UK/European, Windows gets US.) Again, it's a beta version, don't expect it to meet your gold standard.
Stuff the gold standard, plastic standard will do me. My Android device gets the US sockets and no way to select a car. Without the car drop-down the entire thing is completely useless.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Stuff the gold standard, plastic standard will do me. My Android device gets the US sockets and no way to select a car. Without the car drop-down the entire thing is completely useless.
Yes, it does seem to not work on Android. I assume it is currently a desktop thing and would/will need optimising for mobile use.
Condemning it at this stage when he is asking for suggestions to improve it seems somewhat harsh though. I guess he's American, so give him a break :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This appears to simply take the Power (kW not kWh btw) and Time but is not taking into account charging losses? Generally @ 15% loss I factor in for my Ampera. This may be a bit low or high for other cars but needs to be considered in my opinion. It's probably on the low side as this would give 11.73kWh in energy terms and I usually reckon its 12kWh to fully charge.

kWh is energy and is what you are billed for, kw is power and is what the device (car in this case ) consumes as in 2kW fire etc. Run the fire for 1 hour and you use 2kWh of energy and will be billed for the 2kWh used
Thanks. Power in kWh was a stupid mistake from our side. Fixed.

Speaking of energy losses during charging, we plan to set the efficiency at 90%. Should be close to reality for most of the EVs. However, we are open for discussion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks for your feedback. Could you please specify your browser version and screen resolution.
There should be a country flag in the top right corner. Changing the country automatically changes the sockets displayed. It seems something went wrong. We'll fix the bugs, I promise.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
UK charging sockets are type 2:

Nominally 230V but in practice 240V, current up to 32A, may be either single phase (7.4kW) or three phase (22kW). Tethered rapid AC chargers use the same connector up to three phase 64A/43kW (but only a subset of Renault Zoe cars are able to use more than 32A).
UK home sockets where no dedicated charger has been installed are:

Nominally 230V but in practice 240V, current up to 13amp but EVSE chargers are always limited to no more than 10A.

UK voltage is 230V -6% +10% (i.e. 216.2 V – 253.0 V), rest of EU is also 230V nominal but -10% +6% so a different allowed range. Ireland uses the same square pin plugs as the UK (but I'm not sure if their nominal 230V is really 240V or not).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Just give me two weeks and with all the feedback collected we'll optimize it for tablets and phones.

When I posted it here I knew that the calculator was full of bugs. Now I know exactly what should be fixed, thanks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts