Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Couldn’t be free forever I guess....

We pay for some chargers down here - although some are still free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
At least it's not being done for profit. However, if you're already having to pay to use the parking bay itself (which seems to be the case in Glasgow), it is a further cost that's probably already quite annoying to non-driveway owners.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I honestly think 15minutes for the 3/7kw units but for rapid units 5minutes is more than enough. They should also disconnect when the battery reachs 95% or drops below 8kw as well :(
Paying for charging & Parking seems stupid though so i hope that parking fees are waived while charging.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Based on the published figures, (£215000 total cost for 657MWh including staff and maintenance costs) it actually cost them about 32.7pence per kWh. If you only take their quoted electricity costs into account (£93000) then they paid about 14.2pence per kWh so adding ~2p or ~6p for providing the service seem very reasonable.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
535 Posts
EV drivers are of course entitled to freebies thats their God given right.
I think having to park somewhere you didn't really want to park, in order to get a charge, is a different case though. You're already paying a higher kWh price than people with driveways.

When I'm out and about on my travels, I often park somewhere to do some shopping / eating/ touristing or whatever, and charge. If I was going to do that anyway, then I'm perfectly happy to pay for parking just like anyone else. But if I have to stop somewhere specifically to charge, and twiddle my thumbs or go out of my way to do it, then I would be a but miffed having to pay to park somewhere I didn't want to go in the first place!

Reactions: Kingpleb1

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
842 Posts
If EV's were parking fee exempt, you can be sure some tight ass will park his non EV in a bay to save on the parking fee.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You wouldn't expect councils to pay for your Petrol or Diesel and still at a reasonable price 0.20p/KW for a rapid charge

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite.
228 Posts
If EV's were parking fee exempt, you can be sure some tight ass will park his non EV in a bay to save on the parking fee.
The 50 Kw Genie-point at St Erth station suffers from that very thing in the height of the tourist season.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
You wouldn't expect councils to pay for your Petrol or Diesel and still at a reasonable price 0.20p/KW for a rapid charge
No, you wouldn't but I guess it was necessary to kick start EVs. Also, certainly in my region, Council EVs, and there is a lot of them, were very heavy users of the free ChargePoints, often being worst at leaving them on rapids/fast chargers all weekend.

Now that the ChargePoints are no longer free many public chargers have been removed and replaced with Council only chargers and I suppose we are paying for their fuel bill.

So basically when my region published how much they spent on electricity to justify introducing charging, I bet at least half if not more was for their own vehicles.

Reactions: Kingpleb1
1 - 16 of 16 Posts