1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
In other news petrol car on the hard shoulder of a motorway with smoke billowing out catches fire and burns to the ground in minutes.

Oh wait, that’s no longer news worthy. 😉

·
28,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Show me another video of a car exploding, with the doors flying off .... whatever the nature of your particular jadedness, that's very rare if not unique to record on video.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
My point is combustion cars catch fire and explode all the time. Often enough that it doesn't really make the news or at most local news.

I personally know someone who had their RangeRover catch fire while towing on the motorway, by the time he pulled over on the hard shoulder and unhooked the trailer (which had another car on it he didn't want to lose to the fire) all he could do was stand by the roadside and watch it burn to the ground. It didn't even make local news.

While a few EV's have caught on fire without visible explanation this is the first one I've seen actually explode.

·
28,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My point is combustion cars catch fire and explode all the time.
Catch fire, sure. But not explode.

This wasn't even on fire.

It blew apart and the doors flew off. I have only ever seen that sort of thing at a circus or hollywood films!

Show me a video of any other car, petrol or nuclear powered as far as I care, where the doors fly off.

OK, whatever ....

·
28,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The recommendation for EVs in a fire situation is to soak with water directly on the pack. Yes, it can liberate hydrogen and hydroflouric acid, but 'not' soaking with water isn't going to stop that, whereas if you do throw water on then at least it 'might' keep some of the battery cool and maybe stop the whole pack from going up as each cell sets the next one on 'fire'.

It is not really a 'fire', what is happening is the lithium is reacting directly with the oxygen in the electrode materials. Rather than share the oxygen with the transition metals in the electrodes, lithium is selfish and would prefer to have it all for itself. But keep it at the right temperate and electrical conditions and it is metastable in that electrode composition. Change the temperature and/or electrical potentials and it'll seize the oxygen directly given a chance.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Could be as simple as a relatively small amount of water on a very hot battery bank causing a huge amount of steam inside a confined area. The advice to fire services is to absolutely soak the car with an overkill amount of water - not a small hose dribble from across the street.

·
Registered
60 Posts
He was only suppose to blow the bloody doors off! :ROFLMAO:

Sorry had to be done.

Serious point though wonder if the water caused it to explode so badly or if that would have happened regardless.
It rather begs the question....

How do you suppose Euro NCAP are going to deal with that one??!

😂

·
Registered
16,811 Posts
Catch fire, sure. But not explode.

This wasn't even on fire.

It blew apart and the doors flew off. I have only ever seen that sort of thing at a circus or hollywood films!

Show me a video of any other car, petrol or nuclear powered as far as I care, where the doors fly off.

OK, whatever ....
Is this a big enough fire for you?

I’m sure some of the doors were ‘blown off’. :)

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Only the outer skins of the side doors blew off. Is that a normal reaction?

What make and model is it?

Untitled.jpg

The article is very light on detail.

·
28,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is this a big enough fire for you?

I’m sure some of the doors were ‘blown off’. :)
No, not a single door got blown off. The cars were too busy catching light.

·
28,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some of you guys are having such a serious case of over-reaction to a news story that it is merely exposing your super-sensitivities to any sort of criticism of electric cars.

What's behind this?

Do you know there is something fundamentally wrong with electric cars you're not telling me, that you're going the extra mile to try to hide?

·
28,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can’t say that for sure. There were explosions.
You can't say there were for sure, but you did. "I’m sure some of the doors were ‘blown off’. "

What? You're happy to make unsupported comments, but can't take it when someone says the same back to you?

I can say there were no videos of doors blowing off.

I refer you to my post #5, please review it, quote it, and then respond to 'that'.

·
Registered
16,811 Posts
You can't say there were for sure, but you did. "I’m sure some of the doors were ‘blown off’. "

What? You're happy to make unsupported comments, but can't take it when someone says the same back to you?

I can say there were no videos of doors blowing off.

I refer you to my post #5, please review it, quote it, and then respond to 'that'.
You showed how one EV went ‘boom’.

I showed how 1,400 ICEs went ‘boom’ in one night.

Now you are quibbling about doors blowing off.

You really are the worst version of Michael Caine.

·
28,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They didn't go boom. They were on fire.

What are you trying to hide about EVs that you are so vociferous in your replies here?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts