Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem strange and unlikely but, it is true. I take great pride in driving my EV because I put it together myself. The car has the word "Electric" boldly displayed on each side door and on the back. The car is fast enough with 72 horse power or, 52,462 gerbil power. Just this week I pulled up to a stop by a corner gas station. Some guy was topping off the tank of his pick up truck. He must of spent about $100 filling up that Junker. When he saw my car he became angry and started yelling at me. He then entered the truck and made several aggressive moves as if he were going to ram my car. In the next town, another truck was behind me at the light in the center of town. This time the driver charged up behind me and passed my car in the left turn lane with the engine roaring. He made a special point of trying to hit the front of my car as he cut in front of me. What did all of that prove?

Registered
Wow... Assume that's America?
I at worse get laughed at... Mostly the petrol heads are pretty "c'est la vie."

The best there is at what I do
He does and has Elon Musk on his team, many people automatically assume he would be against EVs but he genuinely seems to be for them.
Easy mistake to make when he makes ill informed statements regarding the causes of global warming and the effects it is having on the environment. :eek:

Registered
What did he prove? well....that's fairly obvious.

I don't see any animosity personally when driving as I think the ignorants don't actually notice much infront of their noses, but I do have a best friend I had a massive argument with as he was "towing the party line" telling me how electric vehicles are as polluting, blah blah long tailpipe, blah blah renewable energy is not sustainable or cheaper, blah blah.
He did end up apologising though after I threw significant evidence at his face (literally) later on. And this guy is a LECTURER in ENGINEERING at a prominent UNIVERSITY. Still makes me quite angry thinking back to it.

So you can understand that the layman could be less than well informed if the people who are teaching this stuff are bigots..I remember thinking on that day that there's no hope for mankind really if even those at the top are reading from the book of "alternative facts".

Registered
It's all Fake News! It's really good to have a completely ill informed position from which to argue as that does not cause you to ever question your belief system. I have friends and neighbours who don't drive more than 5 miles in a day, EVER!

They still insist on telling me that having an electric car is a problem as I might run out of electricity. Of course, they never risk running out of fuel ???

They insist on telling me that charging it is a potential problem despite the fact that we all have electricity on tap at home but none of us have a fuel pump at our house ???

They keep on referring to power cuts despite the fact that we have had no power cuts. They conveniently forget about the fuel blockade in the UK not that long ago ???

They tell me I can't go far in it as the range is limited despite the fact that driving more than 5 miles from home gives them vertigo ???

They tell me my car is charged using fossil fuels despite me being on a 100% renewable tariff ???

They tell me its performance is like a milk float despite the fact that I've left them trying to stir their pudding of a manual gearbox at the traffic lights ???

They tell me something will go wrong despite the fact that it has far less moving parts than their ICE ???

They tell me the battery and motor will need replacing without ever considering their ICE, gearbox, clutch, oil pump or any other myriad of prehistoric parts ???

They tell me this EV thing will never catch on despite me having just completely 10k miles without the slightest hitch ???

In a few months time these same people will proudly bring an EV they have bought around to show me and tell me how amazing they are to have realised the benefits of an EV and how they can't believe I didn't get around to doing it sooner like they did.

It all reminds me of a wonderful quote my ex boss made about 10 years ago when I was desperately trying to persuade her to invest in online payment capability.

Her retort was "The internet? That's just a passing fad!" :ROFLMAO:

The best there is at what I do
They tell me the battery and motor will need replacing without ever considering their ICE, gearbox, clutch, oil pump or any other myriad of prehistoric parts ???
While I'm driving I can visualise the parts of the cars around me, it is a constant source of amusement watching the pistons flying up and down as the valves open and close, small explosions occurring thousands of time every minute, the clutch engaging and disengaging as the gears are shifted in the gearbox, the activity is absolutely frenetic, manic activity especially when compared to what's happening inside an EV.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Wow... Assume that's America?
I at worse get laughed at... Mostly the petrol heads are pretty "c'est la vie."
America yes. I go to car shows and face up with some angry folks who believe that American freedom and petroleum are one and the same. I have been accused of trying to destroy freedom by enslaving Americans; binding them up with the electric cord of slavery and crushing them with the battery of despair. One man got right in my face and yelled "you are on the payroll aren't you, you are- tell me the truth" What could I tell him but, if freedom is paying higher and higher prices until gasoline runs out and freedom is choking on air pollution and freedom is the roar of a thousand engines all around you- I will pass all of you by in my fast, quiet, energy efficient, electric car. I have been liberated from the gas pump by the electric cord which restores and vitalizes all and by the battery which allows me to silently charge ahead for a better life. The clean running electric motor needs no oil to sustain it and for this I am free I tell you, free!

Registered
This may seem strange and unlikely but, it is true. I take great pride in driving my EV because I put it together myself. The car has the word "Electric" boldly displayed on each side door and on the back. The car is fast enough with 72 horse power or, 52,462 gerbil power. Just this week I pulled up to a stop by a corner gas station. Some guy was topping off the tank of his pick up truck. He must of spent about $100 filling up that Junker. When he saw my car he became angry and started yelling at me. He then entered the truck and made several aggressive moves as if he were going to ram my car. In the next town, another truck was behind me at the light in the center of town. This time the driver charged up behind me and passed my car in the left turn lane with the engine roaring. He made a special point of trying to hit the front of my car as he cut in front of me. What did all of that prove?
Don't take it personally. They were probably already dick-heads before you turned up.

Registered
There was some comment that was publicised from one of those 'fake' environmental conferences funded by big oil. I remember some guy being quoted as saying (about Liberals) "These guys are trying to take away your SUVs". Maybe your aggressive drivers have seen that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts