Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Needs correction

Votes: 2 13.3%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are happy to present you the Electric Car Market Overview.
Our intention was to create a useful and simple tool that gives you a birds-eye view of the market.
It is available to anyone free of charge. Electric Cars Market Overview

The EV Market Overview looks like this:

How to use it?
1. Choose the cars you want to compare or analyze the entire market. You have a whole set of filters at your disposal. Filter by body style, price, make, status, drive type and DC charging capability.
2. Select the specs to be shown on each axis. The following options are available: Range, Battery pack capacity, Acceleration, Engine Power, Engine Torque and Efficiency.
3. Watch how do different electric models compare on your custom chart and discover interesting interrelations and trends.
4. Hover on a car to see more info. Click on it to go to the model page, which contains a detailed description, high-quality photos, video reviews, safety ratings and Disqus widget to share your impression with other EV Compare users.

Interesting observations
1. Range and battery pack capacity are closely related (what a surprise). But look how far the Tesla Roadster concept has gone!

2. There is only a slight correlation between range and MSRP. So the higher price does not necessarily mean greater range. What’s more, there is a noticeable gap in the middle, which signifies a lack of mid-range EVs.

3. Another important thing to mention is the inverse relationship between battery pack size and efficiency. It is more visible among high-end EVs.

4.Tesla's superiority is clear. No matter what specs you choose, Tesla models are always on the top forcing other automakers to catch up.

All in all, playing with the chart gives food for thought. Have you noticed anything remarkable? Share it with the EV community :)

Your feedback (questions, comments or suggestions) will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Interesting and nice tool to play with.
I like that it's very interactive.

The obvious feedback from a mainly UK orientated forum is that it's very USA focused.
E.g. the Kia e-Niro has a price here but doesn't have one here.
Some of the prices are a bit wonky too.
I'm pretty sure you won't get a Model X 90D for $20k even through it's discontinued.

Nice work though.

Reactions: Den S

·
Registered
348 Posts
Handy reference. The prices can only be for one particular country, so Dollars are OK for me. Besides, manufacturer's prices aren't what we usually pay in the UK. There's also the irrelevence of prices of cars we can't get in our respective countries like Nobel 3s, e-Niros, Kona EVs etc. Time will sort all this out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting and nice tool to play with.
I like that it's very interactive.

The obvious feedback from a mainly UK orientated forum is that it's very USA focused.
E.g. the Kia e-Niro has a price here but doesn't have one here.
Some of the prices are a bit wonky too.
I'm pretty sure you won't get a Model X 90D for $20k even through it's discontinued.

Nice work though.
Thanks for your feedback! Model X price is now updated.
We certainly plan to create a special UK version in the future with prices in £ and relevant model range.

·
Super Moderator
11,954 Posts
There is only a slight correlation between range and MSRP.
Yes. The correlation is probably with sales volume.

I could spend hours running your dataset through SPSS. But I won't ....

I noticed you don't have the i3 Range Extender in your data set. Might be worth adding it. Or are you sticking to pure EVs only?

UK / EU market would be nice to have. We get several cars that aren't sold in the US. (yet?)

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
2. There is only a slight correlation between range and MSRP. So the higher price does not necessarily mean greater range. What’s more, there is a noticeable gap in the middle, which signifies a lack of mid-range EVs.
Or it signifies that we are in the middle of a transition and that future versions of this graph will have around 200 miles as the start point because no one will produce a new car with less than that.
So the gap is an artifact of the initial difficulty of producing cars that do 200 at an affordable price. But KIa, Hyunda, Nissan, and then Renault and VW imminent are showing that time has passed.
If Honda ever bring out the "Urban" with 125 mils range the market will speak. I suspect it will be a bust, that few will buy it when for a few $ more you can get double the range and thus a much more useful car. If I'm wrong and its a huge success, then we will see substantially sub 200 mile cars and they will all be marketed as city runabouts / second cars and thats what will be the divide in the graph, you wont find the sports cars, estates, larger family cars under that line.

Reactions: Den S

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
its all very congested around the price points we would mostly use it for.
I'd suggest that the price scale needs tweaking or we need an option to remove the very expensive outliers

·
Super Moderator
11,954 Posts
its all very congested around the price points we would mostly use it for.
I'd suggest that the price scale needs tweaking or we need an option to remove the very expensive outliers

Yes. You can get rid of the FF-91 and Tesla roadster by removing all announced cars but setting an upper limit to removed outliers would be a helpful.

< $120,000 would include everything up to and including the Model X Performance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes. The correlation is probably with sales volume.

I could spend hours running your dataset through SPSS. But I won't ....

I noticed you don't have the i3 Range Extender in your data set. Might be worth adding it. Or are you sticking to pure EVs only?

UK / EU market would be nice to have. We get several cars that aren't sold in the US. (yet?)
Well, actually we do have i3 and i3s REX in our dataset. (The new i3 and i3s 120 Ah REX are not available in Europe). We have some exclusive EU/UK cars as well (i.e. Renault Zoe, V.W. e-up, Nissan e-NV200...) Is there anything that we're missing? Please let me know, we'll add it.

·
Super Moderator
11,954 Posts
Well, actually we do have i3 and i3s REX in our dataset. (The new i3 and i3s 120 Ah REX are not available in Europe).
Found them. Not sure how I missed that before.

i3 S 94Ah BEV is missing a price.

Rex has the battery-only range. I suppose that is correct way to list it. We could argue all day long as there really isn't a right answer to that.

There are new 94Ah i3 and i3 S at BMW dealers both in the US and UK. Many of the remaining ones in the UK have the range extender. I'm not sure how you would include that in your data set. The UK ones will probably become plated "near-new" used cars in a month or two. US dealers might do the same and punch them.

Either way, that should be enough to give you some price data.

Is there anything that we're missing? Please let me know, we'll add it.
Audi E-Tron SUV, E-Tron Sport Back. Both are very close to production.

Peugeot Ion and Citroen C-Zero which are a rebadged iMIEV. Somehow there are still new Ions available. Someone on SpeakEV bought one recently. Used ones are some of the least expensive EVs available in the UK.

Peugeot e208GT !! In my opinion this is the single most important new European EV for 2019.

Peugeot Partner / Citroen Berlingo Electric. There is the older one and an all new one on the way. The old model sold in very small numbers.

Renault are not on the Manufacturer list. Do you have Twizy and Kangoo Z.E.?

Mercedes eCitan. Mercedes EQV passenger van due in 2021. Oddly no date for the eCitan even though it is a badge engineered Kango Z.E.

LEVC London Taxi

SEAT Minimo (2021 production)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It would be nice to be able to filter out the concept cars.
Thank you for such a detailed reply!
Please check the flag in the top right corner of your screen. Choose the world flag to see the global version of EV Compare. (Unfortunately, the units in the global version are metric as the UK version is not released yet).
1. The i3 94Ah REX price is now updated.
2. When we compare i3 REX with BEVs we use electric-only range, while on the model page we also state the total range.
3. Audi e-tron Quattro, Sportback and GT are all presented.
4. The Peugeot e208GT is a great car. Already in the pipeline.
5. Peugeot Ion, Citroen C-Zero, Peugeot Partner and Citroen Berlingo Electric will be added in the future when we create a full European version.
6. For Vans and Lorries please check the special section All Electric Trucks and Vans - EV Compare.io. It may have some bugs as it is still in development.
7. To see Renault cars please change the flag to Global.
8. To filter out the concept cars on the Market Overview page you can use the status filter (choose "Available for pre-order" and "Announced").

·
Super Moderator
11,954 Posts
Didn't notice the global flag before. More there than I realised.

I found another odd entry. Tesla Model S 85 used for $15,100 on the World Overview. That is too low. Least expensive S 85 on UK autotrader is £35,950. US Autotrader found me an S 60 with 154,000 miles on it for $25,250. Low end for an S 85 is more like $38,000.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Didn't notice the global flag before. More there than I realised.
I found another odd entry. Tesla Model S 85 used for $15,100 on the World Overview. That is too low. Least expensive S 85 on UK autotrader is £35,950. US Autotrader found me an S 60 with 154,000 miles on it for $25,250. Low end for an S 85 is more like $38,000.
The lowest "used" price is automatically uploaded from Ebay. And thanks to you, we have found a bug that sometimes distorted the price. Will be fixed in a few days.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts