Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
3,000 deposit and 125 monthly is good but not free.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The important bit is this.

"Autohaus Koenig, a dealership chain with more than 50 locations across Germany, to advertise a lease for the battery-powered Renault Zoe that is entirely covered by subsidies. "
So once the subsidies are arranged the entire lease duration has no cost to the lessee, but the contract obviously still has a value associated to it at the point of sale.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
But it then pays you back if you are moving from an ICE.

It was a little bit like that in the UK for the first Zoe PCP deals.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
The EU seems to be demanding a "level playing field" in current negotiations for a deal (the 'B' word will not pass my lips) with the UK. How do they square this subsidy by a single country with their own internal regulations?

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
The EU seems to be demanding a "level playing field" in current negotiations for a deal (the 'B' word will not pass my lips) with the UK. How do they square this subsidy by a single country with their own internal regulations?
Eh? How is Germany giving grants (and a scrappage allowance) for people to buy a French made EV against any EU rule?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Eh? How is Germany giving grants (and a scrappage allowance) for people to buy a French made EV against any EU rule?
I don't know. I'm not an expert on EU rules. It appeared to me that German consumers were being given a subsidy not available to consumers in other member states. But the UK supposedly would not be allowed to do the same, because we would have an unfair trading advantage.

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
I don't know. I'm not an expert on EU rules. It appeared to me that German consumers were being given a subsidy not available to consumers in other member states. But the UK supposedly would not be allowed to do the same, because we would have an unfair trading advantage.
You mean like the PICG we have had in UK while being an EU member? Or the scrappage allowance we offered back in 2009, again while a member? Both are currently offered in many member state and the latter was rumoured for UK again. There are no rules against either of them, unless they were shown to preference manufacturers in one state over the other.

Many EU countries offer better unemployment benefits, family credits, etc. There is no requirement to offer those to citizens resident in other member states. To get those and a free Zoe you would need to move to Germany - before 31 December 2020 of course ;)

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
How exactly do the German subsidies work? I thought that they were off of the purchase price - effectively the PICG and Zero rated VAT. Or is there some sort of monthly thing?
If it is off of the purchase price why are the adverts not showing zero monthly cost - I assume that the initial deposit is the Government contribution?

·
Registered
408 Posts
How exactly do the German subsidies work? I thought that they were off of the purchase price - effectively the PICG and Zero rated VAT. Or is there some sort of monthly thing?
If it is off of the purchase price why are the adverts not showing zero monthly cost - I assume that the initial deposit is the Government contribution?
" The leasing special payment of EUR 3,100 corresponds to the previous environmental bonus of EUR 3,000 plus EUR 100 for the AVAS system. The 24 monthly installments amounting to 125 EURO total 3,000 EURO and thus correspond to the new innovation bonus of 3,000 EURO. Lease payments and leasing special payment together amount to 6,100 EURO. State subsidy for environmental bonus, innovation bonus and AVAS: 6,100 EUR difference: 0 EUR battery rent and workshop costs (maintenance and wear out of tires) for the lease term are included, also the transfer costs. There are only the costs for the provision package including admission in the amount of 209.24 EURO net. The calculation is valid for all commercial customers with input tax deduction. "

Direct quote from the leasing company explaining the total cost is only €209.24 for admin etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I’d be happy if Boris/Rishi just dropped VAT on electric cars.
Kinda weird that for most govts rake in so much money from Fuel duty and ICE Tax, yet they are compelled to be friendly to EVs who don’t pay of those taxes

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Anyone care to comment on the legality of taking the German equivalent of PCP and then using the car in the UK? My understanding of PCP in the UK is that I'm not the owner so would I need to declare it as being imported (and hence potentially pay VAT and Duty) or can it remain legally in Germany even if it spends most of its time in the UK? I have the ability to use various addresses in Germany to register it at if that helps.

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
Anyone care to comment on the legality of taking the German equivalent of PCP and then using the car in the UK? My understanding of PCP in the UK is that I'm not the owner so would I need to declare it as being imported (and hence potentially pay VAT and Duty) or can it remain legally in Germany even if it spends most of its time in the UK? I have the ability to use various addresses in Germany to register it at if that helps.
I think the suggestion was tongue in cheek. The deal (actually closed now) assumed you
  • Had a German registered car (with valid German MOT) to scrap and claim the 3000 bonus.
  • Were eligible to claim the 3100 euro grant, which I am fairly sure will be limited to German residential or business address.
  • Could meet criteria of taking out a lease in Germany (credit checks, address, etc)
  • Were happy to drive a basic, LHD Zoe Life (there is no RHD version)
Subject to insurance I am sure someone eligible could drive the Zoe in UK but be fun getting it here with no CCS.

Incidentally, if the UK did offer a scrappage scheme at similar levels it is possible a Skoda CitiGo would be close to free on short term lease.

Reactions: dk6780

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,390 Posts
My understanding of PCP in the UK is that I'm not the owner so would I need to declare it as being imported (and hence potentially pay VAT and Duty) or can it remain legally in Germany even if it spends most of its time in the UK?
I think you are confusing leasing with PCP. PCP you are the registered owner of the vehicle for the term. Leasing you don't own it. PCP has some limitations to your ownership, but basically you can do whatever you want with the car, provided you sort out the financing. If you want to take the car on a short trip abroad, you can, but it is expected to inform your financing company. I do not think that they will allow you to "reside" in another country though, especially one that is no longer EU.

And finally, these are all UK rules, maybe they don't apply in Germany....

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
One of the first things they are likely to ask you is for proof of income in Germany. This might be a show stopper.

But maybe you can get a German friend to take the PCP on for you and insure it...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts