Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes, I found that interesting, that they're trialling a new technology, but with an obsolete connector (EU standard now is Type 2 - apparently no EVs can be type-approved for european roads unless they have a type2 or type2/CCS connector - hence the Tesla Model3 having a type2 connector in Europe.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Very interesting comments - I'm new to EV ownership, so the possibility of being stranded with flat battery is still in my thought process. It seems as though, as I get more experienced with EVs, this possibility fades into the background. More and more chargers are being added to the UK road network, so this possibility is getting rarer by the day. I'll stop worrying about it :).
Use this page to check your possible range: EV Range and Smart Route Planner Note that weather plays a role in consumption, as well as tire pressure and of course, terrain. All that is true also for ICE, but we never cared about those things a lot before. Generally, I don't think you should worry about flat battery, but of course, that depends on how far you drive and if you ignore the low charge warning or not. I think 99.99% of the population is able to handle that, and so far I have not seen one single EV getting stranded due to low battery. Even a car like the Leaf, with a very poor GOM is able to indicate low battery in time for you to get to a charging point. Anyway, don't worry about it, enjoy the silence. Driving an EV is like driving an ICE with never more than only 1/3 of the tank filled all the time. Not really critical, but can be annoying and it may require just a tiny bit better planning and attention from the driver. The benefits are that you learn a lot about geography if you often need to drive to near limits of the car.

·
Registered
176 Posts
An interesting site, as it seems to have a much better laptop based presentation, rather than the others which seem phone-focussed, so don't have a good laptop experience. However unfortunately I can't use it as it doesn't list my car (MG ZS EV). I've given them feedback on the lack of car support, so hopefully they'll change that soon. Thanks for the link...

·
Registered
170 Posts
An interesting site, as it seems to have a much better laptop based presentation, rather than the others which seem phone-focussed, so don't have a good laptop experience. However unfortunately I can't use it as it doesn't list my car (MG ZS EV). I've given them feedback on the lack of car support, so hopefully they'll change that soon. Thanks for the link...
You're welcome. Actually, I originally found the link on this forum... Anyway, maybe it's easy to add your car, so giving them the feedback about it is good. It is a beta version, perhaps later on it will be user configurable. That would be best, since it will be a nightmare to keep it updated without getting paid for it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I'm sure they will evolve. The trial started in Sept 2018. In the following video the guy operating it suggests they are working on CCS also:

I think they really just want there to still be a market for fuel distribution because the one for electricity distribution is pretty much sewn up.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts