Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to know your opinions, I'm only talking about BEV's. i was talking to someone at the dealership and the salesman said there just batteries and motors nothing special, so is this true?

·
Registered
279 Posts
The batteries are pretty special compared to other batteries. Long life requirements, robust to extremes of temperature, relatively fire resistant, relatively crash resistant..

And your list of bits needs a motor controller of some sort and a charger..

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Part of what makes them special is doing away with all that other nonsense for a smarter way of driving. Special does NOT mean complex.
My biggest complaint against the i8. An amazing piece of engineering, but very complex.

In my admittedly brief experience, it actually feels less special because of it. Mainly due to it's gearbox, and the way it delivers power in punctuated bursts, but also accentuated by the engineered sound of the engine. It just lacks the effortlessness of a BEV.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i Know i have had a lot of trouble with my little Zoe, but its a great little car,its had me pulling my hair out at some points because of the dealership, as i was driving my mum's polo around for over 2 months all i kept thinking god i miss my car, it works great now, i love the smooth drive the speed when needed the great miles over 12k, it's always getting attention when its out charging. It's special to me because i love driving it and i get to save a very small part of the world while I'm doing it,plus cleaner air for my kids. I'm starting to sound a little bit like a hippy lol, well I'm of to devon Monday for 7 days i hope it all goes smooth

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I was never very knowledgeable about art - sure, I'd been to several galleries (looked at the Haywain, for obvious reasons) but I always looked at paintings from a technical standpoint, marvelling at how lifelike, or accurate, or 'out there' they were, imagining Turner sitting at his easel in Portsmouth or wherever. Full of admiration for the artist's skill and vision to create such a thing. But I had no idea that this was how I was judging them.

Until I saw my first Van Gogh. Suddenly I was engrossed in the actual content. What is was making me feel. Where it was taking my own imagination. Suddenly I wasn't thinking "how talented was that guy?" But having a much more visceral emotional reaction.

The point is that he used the same canvas and paint as everyone else, but his colours were different, his composition was different, and it just meant so much more.

I feel about EVs the same way. It's not that whether they are high tech (through one lens) or low tech (through another). It's what they represent. It's the way they make me feel. They are so functionally and compositionally similar (when all's said and done) to all other cars out there, it's the last few percent of difference that is so uplifting. The sustainability aspect is simply a functional advantage in empirical terms. It has no bearing on why I feel I'm driving "Starry Night" when I'm behind the wheel. In any of them.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF N-Connecta 40kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
338 Posts
"Synergy - when the result is greater than the sum of their individual parts or capabilities". For me that encapsulates the pleasure of driving an BEV.

For a salesman to describe any car in this way seems a little like sour grapes. It's like saying a car is "just a way of getting from A to B" to a car lover who chooses to spend money for an upmarket vehicle compared to a very basic example.

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
916 Posts
I would love to know your opinions, I'm only talking about BEV's. i was talking to someone at the dealership and the salesman said there just batteries and motors nothing special, so is this true?
If a car salesman is describing any car He's got in the showroom as "nothing special",He's in the wrong Job....or needs some refresher training..

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
To be fair, they are just batteries and motors. Just like old fashioned cars are just petrol tanks and engines. The difference is there is less to go wrong and minimal differences about which to talk (or sell).

I wonder at what point cars will turn into "white goods". After all, a washing machine motor spins far faster than a car - don't have to take that in for a service every year, or speak to a specially trained "Washing Salesman" before being allowed to buy one :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Technically they are very simple. I'm not sure it's the right way but: batteries -> inverter -> speed controller -> motor. The other side is batteries -> dc-dc converter -> auxiliary battery

So it's nothing special. But today's models having ECU's and the other stuff added what may cause problems in the future because it's electronics.

The very first EV's in the market to buy like G-Wizz or Aixam were really simple, and if you know at least basics about car electrics, not electronics, you could repair everything at home yourself.

Also, if you missed your charging cable for your EV (G-Wizz or Aixam) you could make one yourself for a tenner because it's 3pin plug to commando, no EVSE. Very simple and nothing special. Still let's you reach B from A

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
To be fair, they are just batteries and motors. Just like old fashioned cars are just petrol tanks and engines. The difference is there is less to go wrong and minimal differences about which to talk (or sell).

I wonder at what point cars will turn into "white goods". After all, a washing machine motor spins far faster than a car - don't have to take that in for a service every year, or speak to a specially trained "Washing Salesman" before being allowed to buy one :)
Are you sure about that? My washing machine maxes out at 1600rpm, while I believe the Leaf motor is capped at ~10,000rpm...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is special is me and my girlfriend and 3boys when to Devon for the week, 579 miles loved every minute of it, it's was free but the big one for me is not even one drop of petrol was used

1 - 20 of 26 Posts