Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think TPTB (The powers that be) purposefully keep driving range low on electric cars so that they can't be used as suitable getaway cars?

The police would stumble across bank robbers in electric cars having naps at Trowell services, fast charger in place.

I have often noticed that it takes a few seconds to boot my Nissan Leaf up and this would make it an ineffective get away vehicle.

Picture the scene :

My crew and I would come tumbling out of an investment bank carrying gold bullion and we would tumble into the back of my Nissan Leaf, then you'd hear the "ting ting tingle ting" as the car boots up, while my crew screams at me to put my foot down. There would be a small delay as the electricity flows and we gently pull away from the kerb. It would be the most sedate "get away" ever.

I guess if you used a Tesla things might be a little easier, but still the time taken to charge it up after a police chase or a long escape across the border, even at a supercharger would limit its usefulness.:p

Ah well, i'll stick with my day job for now...:rolleyes: Maybe I shouldn't watch the BBC News in the mornings anymore, it gives me too many ideas...

if you had to choose an EV, as a getaway vehicle, which one would you choose?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,206 Posts
First rule as a getaway driver..... keep the engine running. You'd make a rubbish getaway driver.... fortunately for you! ;)

Reactions: GreyDad and Acmtix

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First rule as a getaway driver..... keep the engine running. You'd make a rubbish getaway driver.... fortunately for you! ;)
I would have plugged in to charge up outside the bank anyway, so i'd have to unplug before we drove off anyway. I noticed on the BBC news this morning there is an electric charge point outside the Hatton Garden bank. There was a black Nissan Leaf charging up during the BBC footage outside the bank.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You wouldn't wake the neighbourhood up though! Remember to turn off the 'whistle' & roll silently away. Battery may not last long though, carting all that bullion in the back. Maybe we should all keep an eye out for new-dug patches near chargers, there may be gold stashed temporarily under the bushes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You wouldn't wake the neighbourhood up though! Remember to turn off the 'whistle' & roll silently away. Battery may not last long though, carting all that bullion in the back. Maybe we should all keep an eye out for new-dug patches near chargers, there may be gold stashed temporarily under the bushes.
Yes, keep an eye out, you never know what you'll find stashed behind fast chargers anyway... ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
Do you think TPTB (The powers that be) purposefully keep driving range low on electric cars so that they can't be used as suitable getaway cars?
No. The batteries are the most expensive part of the car. Range is low to keep the cars affordable. This is about to change. Affordable '200 mile' cars are about a year away.

I'd think if you couldn't get away in a couple of miles you aren't going to get away at all. ANPR will catch anyone going long distances.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. The batteries are the most expensive part of the car. Range is low to keep the cars affordable. This is about to change. Affordable '200 mile' cars are about a year away.

I'd think if you couldn't get away in a couple of miles you aren't going to get away at all. ANPR will catch anyone going long distances.
ANPR is only in operation in certain areas, its easy to avoid.;)
I can't wait for affordable batteries to appear, that will truly revolutionise the EV industry. 200 miles is great but they need to work on the infrastructure before it will become practical to drive an EV long distances. Last time I looked at driving from Leicestershire to Swindon on the Zap-Map it said it would take me 9 hours.

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
200 miles is great but they need to work on the infrastructure before it will become practical to drive an EV long distances.
We drive our 24kWh LEAF from Anglesey to Liverpool all the time. It is about 165 miles round trip.

We charge at Singing Kettle on the way out and Chester services and Singing Kettle on the way home. The round trip currently takes about 2 hours longer than an ICE BUT

Destination charging is going it at LiverpoolONE this Friday.

With charging at LiverpoolONE, it will take about an hour longer in the LEAF than it does in an ICE. Well it will if we don't have to queue for a charge.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've often thought how useless the Tesla would be if I was being chased by a gang of feral Amazon Women intent on 'Snu snu'. Even if I made the car ahead of them, they'd still get me while the system was booting up:eek:

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'd use an iMiev or clone and drive within the speed limit. Plod wouldn't believe the witnesses and would look for speeding cars.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,206 Posts
The I-Miev does have a fair amount of boot space too... especially with the seats folded down. You could get a lot of gold in there...

A lot in capacity... weight would be the issue, pretty sure the wheels would be like a Japanese crazy cambered car.

Reactions: GreyDad
1 - 20 of 26 Posts