Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"When documentary film producer Chris Paine looks out his kitchen window over Los Angeles, he sees smog, palm trees and a sea of cars bumping up against the coastline beaches.

Beyond that landscape, though, he envisions the beginning of the end of those gas-guzzling vehicles fouling up the air, and a world where someone like Elon Musk, the Silicon Valley-based CEO of Tesla Motors, leads the way in driving the all-electric vehicle into our lives"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/earth-day-2014-electric-cars-at-a-tipping-point-1.2613936

·
Registered
455 Posts
Tipping Point - very words used by on BBC R4 on the Today Programme around 0845 this morning to describe current market for EV's. I have just relistened to it but have no idea how to include a link soz.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Tipping Point - very words used by on BBC R4 on the Today Programme around 0845 this morning to describe current market for EV's. I have just relistened to it but have no idea how to include a link soz.
I just had a listen. The host tried to bring up the long disproven argument of 'But where does the electricity come from?'. o_O

If we're going to compare like for like then you can't say that a modern diesel only emits 80g of CO2 per mile (or whatever) if we're looking at where the energy comes from :rolleyes:

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
At least the guest speakers were strong. He didn't get much of a chance to peddle the tired old arguments. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
The real issue here is that they didn't make enough of the point that it costs roughly 10x less per journey than travelling by petrol/diesel.

It's fair to say that many of us might be seen as EV enthusiasts, but they didn't really mention that many people are making an economic choice first, rather than an eco one.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Agreed. I just think it's the most compelling reason for changing to an electric car - so why aren't people shouting about it?!
Often people will argue one or a combination of... they're too expensive to buy, the government grant is unfair, and wont last, they don't hold their value, you "have" to rent a battery... and then just return to the usual old nonsense about how they're "not really zero emissions" and so on and so forth, forgetting the entire "well to wheel" of diesel/petrol refinement etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts