Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am planning a road trip from London to St Ives in my Nissan Leaf. I need to find a fast charger that i can use late afternoon/evening near st ives. Does anybody know of one? Advice much appreciated!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Hi Mark,

Paul Churchley here... we met when you took delivery of your first Leaf... I was the one that wasn't from the media or Nissan!!!

Do you mean CHAdeMo 50KW or a 16A?

Which St Ives?

As far as 50KW goes you are pretty much out of luck... If you mean the one in Cornwall then the nearest fast charger would be Exeter I expect - 108 miles to the east. If you mean Cambridgeshire then the nearest I can find is Smiths of Peterborough - 30 miles north, or Glyn Hopkins, Waltham Abbey where we met - 60 miles to the south.

As far as 16A goes... David has mentioned the POLAR at the Premier Inn in Cornwall but if you mean Cambridgeshire then there is a Source East 32A with type 2 socket at Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge or at Huntingdon Racecourse, or at Wyboston Lakes. Take your pick :)

Does that help?

Take a look at Zap-Map.co.uk or openchargemap.co.uk which might help also.

I hope you are still enjoying your car?

·
Independent EV consultants
48 Posts
Mark,

Assuming that you're coming to the one in Cornwall, you have a few options for 6.6kW charging... take a look at http://www.eco-drive.co.uk/cornwall (still very much in beta) We can get you access to any of the sites shown, even the restricted ones, if we know approximate timings.

You have a couple of options near St Austell, perhaps our point at the Eden Project is the most friendly - albeit only 16A (yes, we will be upgrading shortly!)

When will you be travelling? In a couple of weeks' time we should be able to get you access to a couple of private 20kW Chademo chargers in Cornwall.

Regards,

Matt Trevaskis
Director
http://www.eco-drive.co.uk
0845 4-NO-FUEL (0845 466 3835)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't assume it's Cornwall. I nearly made that mistake about 20 years ago.

I happened to be talking to the organiser of a Philips training course I was booked on in two days time and asked why they were holding all the way down in St Ives Cornwall, lucky I asked that question because it was actually in St Ives Cambridgeshire!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Booked a late deal in Looe Cornwall and took a trip down to some friends in St Austell and took the opportunity to try a charge at the local Asda.

The 2 Chargemaster points (13a or type 2 selectable) are located almost directly outside the entrance to the store and consequently ICED, however a very helpful security guard announced all 4 registrations over the Tannoy and one driver turned up almost immediately to move the car.

Another driver ironically told me they were going to buy a Leaf but people keep parking in the EV charging spaces, I put first finger in the air and squinted.

Anyhow got a 20 mile boost, looking at the maps apart from several zcw points there is not a lot down there that could be described as true "public" points and they are probably the closest to St Ives.

Gary

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
There are 2 POLAR points at the back of Waitrose in Saltash, just by the A38. They are no where near the entrance and consequently they are never, well, almost never, ICEd. They are in an area where the staff park and the manager has told staff to keep them clear. I have only ever seen an ICE there a couple of times and always only in one of the 4 bays.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts