·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it seems that as he only did 1 run at that time & speed, it's not an official record, which was set a couple of days ago by Kristen Stacey in "Hammerdown". She has set the official record at 7.89 seconds, 161.87 mph terminal speed.

Don Garlit is apparently aiming for a sub 7 second run with a terminal speed of greater than 200mph.

More info on all this at the NEDRA website here: http://www.nedra.com/

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I went to Santa Pod at the weekend to watch some drag racing. I have subsequently watched more on you tube including the ev drag cars which are being developed. Attached is a video of Don Garlits talking a fair bit of sense about ev's in general and ev drag racing. This is a bloke who is as petrol head as is possible who is obviously coming to terms with a changing world.

Having said that, you have to witness first hand a top fuel car to believe it. 8000 hp is an incredible noise and feeling from the relatively short distance you are away from the track at Santa Pod.

I have also linked an ev Beetle which I am sure I saw run but did not realise it was ev as it would have been lined up against a noisy ICE !.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Having said that, you have to witness first hand a top fuel car to believe it. 8000 hp is an incredible noise and feeling from the relatively short distance you are away from the track at Santa Pod.
My thoughts exactly. I'm a massive convert to all things EV but there is nothing like being near a top fuel dragster, eyes streaming, headache (due to the fuel), the feeling and oh wow the noise. Very fond memories of spending days at Santa Pod with my late father.

I didn't realise Don Garlits was still around, let alone racing, good on him. Did you notice the crew chief put his fingers in his ears and then take them out again :LOL:

·
The best there is at what I do
10,516 Posts
Wait until electric dragsters are doing the same 1/4 mile times as top fuel dragsters, 0-300mph in under 5 secs that's quicker than it takes to read this post:eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts