Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year ago, in July 2013, my wife and I drove our Leaf from Berkshire to Northern Ireland, via the Holyhead/Dublin ferry, a trip of around 400 miles each way.

The Irish rapid charging system (Ecars) was well developed a year ago, and we had not a single problem during our week there. The English rapid charging system really was just in it’s infancy.

Our route from Berkshire to Holyhead had just three rapid chargers on the direct motorway route, (Oxford, Hopwood and Keele), which meant needing all three, and also planing two lenghtly fast charge stops after Keele to get to Holyhead.

Last year we travelled on what turned out to be one of the hotest days of the year, and hit problems, as two of the three planned rapid chargers failed on our way to Holyhead. We were able to use a ‘plan B’ back-up in both cases, and we did just make our ferry crossing, by about 5 minutes and on VLB!

It will be interested to see the changes that just one year has brought. The same route to Holyhead now has ten rapid charger sites.

There still is a ‘Rapid charger free’ gap from Chester to Holyhead, needing one fast charge stop to bridge the gap. This is supposed to be rectified by around six charger sites due in by the end of the year.

We are leaving on Wednesday, and I plan to report on our journey, and how it compares with last year. I have reasonable confidence that it will be much easier than last year. Let’s hope that confidence is justified!

I will report back on how things go.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,593 Posts
A year ago, in July 2013, my wife and I drove our Leaf from Berkshire to Northern Ireland, via the Holyhead/Dublin ferry, a trip of around 400 miles each way.

The Irish rapid charging system (Ecars) was well developed a year ago, and we had not a single problem during our week there. The English rapid charging system really was just in it’s infancy.

Our route from Berkshire to Holyhead had just three rapid chargers on the direct motorway route, (Oxford, Hopwood and Keele), which meant needing all three, and also planing two lenghtly fast charge stops after Keele to get to Holyhead.

Last year we travelled on what turned out to be one of the hotest days of the year, and hit problems, as two of the three planned rapid chargers failed on our way to Holyhead. We were able to use a ‘plan B’ back-up in both cases, and we did just make our ferry crossing, by about 5 minutes and on VLB!

It will be interested to see the changes that just one year has brought. The same route to Holyhead now has ten rapid charger sites.

There still is a ‘Rapid charger free’ gap from Chester to Holyhead, needing one fast charge stop to bridge the gap. This is supposed to be rectified by around six charger sites due in by the end of the year.

We are leaving on Wednesday, and I plan to report on our journey, and how it compares with last year. I have reasonable confidence that it will be much easier than last year. Let’s hope that confidence is justified!

I will report back on how things go.
Yes still waiting for the elusive A55 Rapids but promised soon.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now on Irish ferry, about to sail to Dublin!

Absolutely brilliant trip up, this is how an EV trip should be.

All chargers worked, no problems whatsoever. Used 5 ecotricity rapids, and fast charge at Abergele Nissan. 5 min wait at pear tree Oxford, and met a Leaf at Chester, but there are two chargers there. Otherwise saw no other EVs.
Slaters at Abergele had left charger bay free, ( they were closed, as we arrived at 10pm.
Even Irish ferries were geared up - sent down priority lane to their single charger, which worked without a problem.
Everything far different from last year.
And people say a Leaf is only for short distances?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Very encouraging.

I don't think anyone is saying long distances can't be done? (plenty of intrepid LEAF owners have proved otherwise) but, being realistic, you've made 6 stops there and added 2.5 hours to the journey which is not something Mr Joe Bloggs in the street will want to be doing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you've made 6 stops there and added 2.5 hours to the journey which is not something Mr Joe Bloggs in the street will want to be doing.
Yes, partly true. But how many people make a 280 mile journey without stopping?
In an ICE I have done the same journey, and always stopped at least twice - probably taking 1.5 plus hours, so it's not that much different. But agree there is a bit of a difference.
Incidentally, for accuracy, the Nissan stop was on a fast charger, and was two hours! But we met up with an old friend and went to dinner. Hopefully this gap will be plugged in the next few months.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let us know how the NI leg of the trip goes-whereabouts are you heading?
We are currently taking breakfast at Applegreen services, just north of Dublin.
The Leaf is sitting outside, waiting for us to finish, having been charged completely already. (And moved to a non charging spot, I should add!)

We are heading to C Tyrone, staying with my wife's relatives.

·
Registered
916 Posts
We are currently taking breakfast at Applegreen services, just north of Dublin.
The Leaf is sitting outside, waiting for us to finish, having been charged completely already. (And moved to a non charging spot, I should add!)

We are heading to C Tyrone, staying with my wife's relatives.
I'm in Fermanagh,and bought my Zoe in Omagh..I'll tweet any charger problems I find on my travels around the area!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Now on Irish ferry, about to sail to Dublin!

Absolutely brilliant trip up, this is how an EV trip should be.

All chargers worked, no problems whatsoever. Used 5 ecotricity rapids, and fast charge at Abergele Nissan. 5 min wait at pear tree Oxford, and met a Leaf at Chester, but there are two chargers there. Otherwise saw no other EVs.
Slaters at Abergele had left charger bay free, ( they were closed, as we arrived at 10pm.
Even Irish ferries were geared up - sent down priority lane to their single charger, which worked without a problem.
Irish Ferries have a charger at the port? Useful, but would be more useful if you could actually charge on the ferry itself...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Stena let me charge on board - I need to be loaded with the refrigerated trailers, and supply my own 16a Blue Commando to 13a but I got the full 10a from it with no issues (Scotland to NI route).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts