Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From memory, Ecotricity hoped to have the permanent fix for their rapid chargers in by the end of June.

Have they? And has it worked?

This weekends rain may be a good test.... !

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
From memory, Ecotricity hoped to have the permanent fix for their rapid chargers in by the end of June.

Have they? And has it worked?

This weekends rain may be a good test.... !
I've just checked the email that was sent back in April. The target was to *begin* the the major upgrade plan in June.
I believe that all rapids have now had the temporary fix applied.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Flipper! Checking is better than trying to remember...;)

Hope they are reliable now, planning some long trips soon :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Thanks Flipper! Checking is better than trying to remember...;)

Hope they are reliable now, planning some long trips soon :)
Reliability overall has definitely improved, though there are a few chargers that seem to have different recurring issues.
Always worth checking both the Ecotricity map and their twitter feed for latest updates.

(Later, lessons in educating elderly relatives in the art of egg-sucking will be taking place... :D)

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
We were told that the main issue that was killing reliability was moisture getting into the units via the air circulation (directly or indirectly). The newer triple-headed units that I have seen all have a different cabinet design with revised ventilation. This means that we should expect the new units to be considerably better (only time will tell if this is actually true!). Also sites are now getting multiple chargers - which helps reliability as both need to be down to lose all CHAdeMO charging at a site (CCS and AC don't seem to be getting redundancy yet).

I recently drove well over a thousand miles on an EV trip in my C-Zero and the only issues I found with Ecotricity chargers were poor comms (but I still got a charge) and some muppet having left the CHAdeMO plug pointing towards the sky (thus it was probably full of rainwater).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, they are getting better, but we are far from out of the woods. 2.5/5 :(
Today:
1/ Clacket Lane worked fine for a quick 10 min charge to alleviate my range anxiety ( I could have made it comfortably!)
2/ Lakeside Ikea, not working, was showing as working yesterday evening.
3/ Moto services, at Lakeside working.
4/ Cobham M25 CCS not working despite all appearing well on the display. Call to Electric Highway confirm that it has not worked properly since installation and needs a proper fix.
5/ Cobham M25 Standard rapid showing "Identification" screen. Call to Electric Highway person 1, fails to re-boot. Call to her superviser, fails to re-boot. Eventually, Stuart from Electric Highway calls me back, "I can see the problem, I'm going to reboot and call you back in 8 minutes" I suggested that his colleagues had failed to reboot and that I think it needs to power down as it is stuck in its own loop. 15 mins later Stuart rings back - no improvement. Once again I suggest powering down and Stuart suggests Fleet service on M3 ( I'm heading for Petersfield, this is not a good option for me and there is only a 5 mile buffer in remaining charge even tomreach Fleet, which if memory serves me well involves climbing a non unsubstantial gradient.)
Stuart says he will contact Xtra and see if they can power down the charger "but they don't like getting involved!"
10 mins later Stuart rings back "A very helpful guy has switched it and on again, how is it now?" It now looks normal and Stuart stays on the line whilst I initiate a charge session. All is well as I rapidly top up to 80% and set off down the A3. Unfortunately the hour delay delivers me perfectly for rush hour madness at Guildford and Ham Barn Roundabout, Liss.

So thanks for the help @ElectricHighway, but I'm really looking forward to the time when I drive into a rapid charging bay and don't have my heart in my mouth hoping it is going to work.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I should have added that Stuart noticed that the software on the charger is not up to date and that he will update it overnight so that this problem does not happen again. Apparently it was an AC charge session that did not conclude successfully that caused the machine to freeze. The CCS machine needs more serious work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts