Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an interview with Fully Charged, Ecotriciy owner Dale Vince announces that charging will commence from 1 January 2015 (6m 35s):

Reactions: David Ward

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I think this is a very positive move providing it is done with sympathy and respect towards EV drivers. Given everything that Ecotricity has done to date I would be gobsmacked if they did anything else.

The free period has been useful IMO but it does distort the reality. It also attracts the criticism of EV drivers "sponging" off the tax payer... even though Ecotricity is paying for the electricity themselves... people don't see that.

I'd like to see per kWh charging and it remaining free to Ecotricity gas/electricity customers (that last bit is just me being selfish as I am an Ecotricity customer!!!)

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I think this is a very positive move providing it is done with sympathy and respect towards EV drivers. Given everything that Ecotricity has done to date I would be gobsmacked if they did anything else.

The free period has been useful IMO but it does distort the reality. It also attracts the criticism of EV drivers "sponging" off the tax payer... even though Ecotricity is paying for the electricity themselves... people don't see that.

I'd like to see per kWh charging and it remaining free to Ecotricity gas/electricity customers (that last bit is just me being selfish as I am an Ecotricity customer!!!)
I think it would be nice if they can charge non-Ecotricity customers a fee of one type, and charge Ecotricity customers exactly the same as their home tariff per-kWh. Would be nice to add to home bill, but I believe regulation prevents that. Perhaps could charge non-Ecotricity customers a "roaming fee" of say £2.50 per charge and then the kWhs at normal Ecotricity rates for the registered address area.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Dale Vince did say 'probably' will charge from January next year. Probably is not definitely.

But agree, it is at variance with the EU network date of 'free until 31st December 2015'.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I think it would be nice if they can charge non-Ecotricity customers a fee of one type, and charge Ecotricity customers exactly the same as their home tariff per-kWh. Would be nice to add to home bill, but I believe regulation prevents that. Perhaps could charge non-Ecotricity customers a "roaming fee" of say £2.50 per charge and then the kWhs at normal Ecotricity rates for the registered address area.

Agree I wonder what it would do to their subscriber numbers if it was free for @Ecotricity customers and chargable to customers of other power companies

·
Registered
206 Posts
This is taken from their website

Registration Form
Register for your free Ecotricity swipe card here and enjoy access to our Electric Highway – your card will allow you to charge at all of our AC and DC charge points across the country.

If you're already an Ecotricity customer – or become one in the next 12 months – the card is free for the indefinite future. If you're not an Ecotricity customer, you're still entitled to use our Electric Highway for the next 12 months. But after that we may charge you £10 a year, but not for the electricity you use.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I am sure they have plans to tie-in with domestic customers, it's a no-brainer. The car+electric tariff seemed like a good way to start that process.
Now I'm getting worried - they won't let me join the discounted scheme because I lease my car rather than owning outright, so does this mean I will end up paying full price if "customers" get free charging?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Yes it will for sure be cheaper for Ecotricity customers although I doubt that it will be free, I don't like free and never have, might sound daft? but it was a total novelty to me that you could do it, sadly all the long range EV trips got from the naysayers was that the electricity wasn't free? the message got lost.

A super sweet system would be a 3 level system where it was one charge for joe blogs, cheaper for ecotricity customers, then even cheaper for ecotricity customers with micro generation thus encouraging more clean supply to the mix.

I am sure that Ecotricity will get this right, its almost impossible to make a business case for rapid charging, if you turned up on dragons den with the idea they would snigger and laugh you out of the room! however tie this in like Ecotricity have done and you have what is a very visible advert at all motorway stations for your company and other business, if Ecotricity treat the highway as a loss leader they are going in the right direction.

Ecotricitys ultimate goals is to turn bills in to mills, their profile is pretty high at the moment and they are nowhere near at the same level of customers as the other 2 big green suppliers (who actually haven't had anywhere near the amount of press) so they have a lot of catching up to do, to be fair the others aren't pumping as much in to making their own electricity though and at least 1 of the other 2 don't make any, still Ecotricity need more people on board.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Dale Vince did say 'probably' will charge from January next year. Probably is not definitely.

But agree, it is at variance with the EU network date of 'free until 31st December 2015'.
Yes, I was fully expecting the December 2015 date. It might be that in the interview Dale said 2015 when he meant 2016. It would seem to make most sense that all of this coincided.

I was rather working on the assumption that free charging would continue until the end December 2015 which kind of:

1. Means that my car will be coming up for 2 years / 60,000 miles
2. Means that Tesla Model X will have (hopefully been released)
3. Means that the SuperCharger network will be well established
4. Means that there may be some credible alternatives
5. Means that my eldest will be turning 17 and likely want to buy his step-mother's car
6. Means that hopefully Mme will take my LEAF, son takes her ICE and I get a shiny new Tesla

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Now I'm getting worried - they won't let me join the discounted scheme because I lease my car rather than owning outright, so does this mean I will end up paying full price if "customers" get free charging?
Matt

I chased them up on this and the implication is that this was an oversight and they were going to extend it.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I am in the same situation now and got an outright refusal from them. Hey ho.
That's not right at all. The distinct impression that I got is that it was just awaiting signoff. There is no doubt whatsoever that the very instant my current contract expires I shall be moving across to Ecotricity for this offer. Perhaps I will end up reviewing this

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
The 'black box' sounds very interesting, but I wonder how it interacts with the Feed-in tariff. I'm on the high 48p/kWh rate and I'd want to be sure that changing the setup by adding a battery wouldn't impact that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts