Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everythings a roll-out and these things take time,,, But with all the major cities in the north along its route why hasn't there been any Rapids installed along the M62 yet? Surely Hartside Moor and Birch Services should have them buy now..

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well the IKEA stores at both Warrington and Leeds have rapids now. It needs to be better but it's a good start!

·
Registered
216 Posts
These sites have been delayed as they form part of a TEN-T project. They are part funded by European money and a consortium of the EV manufacturers. All of the services mentioned by the OP should by the end if this year have 2 rapid chargers just like the setup at Leeds / Warrington Ikea. More info here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thnaks Steve I shall check it out.. I just hope that Birch and Hartside Moor Services get them soon because you can guarantee its open 24 hrs.. onlike some Ikeas.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Birch and Hartshead really need a Rapid for breaking up the M62. I'm not sure the Ikeas are a great idea as I keep hearing stories of the rapids being hogged by people doing two hours' shopping. At least at the motorway people tend not to spend too long at the charger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well recently back on the M62 and despite the reassurances I have had from TEN-T project there are still no signs of Rapids at Hartside or Birch... At the moment Hartside is having a Starbucks Drive-Thru constructed eastbound.. and should be due to open in November.. but as for Chargers by Christmas.. well.. they'll have to get the planning application in pronto !!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I need to travel between Bolton and York and all also need this network to be all able to travel stress free down the m62. The RCN is getting there but they are not on schedule. Would be good to have realistic planned dates so we don't have to speculate on forums ;-)

·
Registered
216 Posts
The last update via Twitter from EH was November for the M62, so there is still 5 weeks before they are wrong with that estimate. Don't worry about planning application submissions many are applied for retrospective.

Ecotricity have stated that they will no longer publically provide specific planned installation dates after being abused on Leaftalk when they did and problems arose. Sadly some people are too stupid to realise that such works often run into unexpected delays. :rolleyes:

If IKEA is closed, and your determined to go via EV before the new rapids are installed, I easily drove Manchester to Hull with a stop at Woolley Edge. Hull to Manchester however required a stop at Doncaster and Woolley Edge. If you have time to burn enjoy. If not take an ICE for now.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I need to travel between Bolton and York and all also need this network to be all able to travel stress free down the m62. The RCN is getting there but they are not on schedule. Would be good to have realistic planned dates so we don't have to speculate on forums ;-)
I've done Bolton to my home in Scarborough via York. Bolton to Birstall IKEA is no problem, and IKEA to either Wetherby MOTO (Ecotricity) or direct to York (CYC) is fine. If it's a return trip you'd make it back to Wetherby from York. Don't worry, you shouldn't have a problem as there are two rapids at IKEA and Wetherby (though at the moment only one is apparently working at each!) Just make sure you get the right exit at Birstall from the M62 or you'll do what I did and have to do an extra return leg along the M621 !

If you need to charge at Bolton before you go, there are type 2 chargers at the Topp Way (Dean Road) car park - free to use with a CYC card, and parking is free on a Saturday and Sunday at present.

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
They have added two more since the initial 4 so things are moving however to get all 74 deployed by dec 14, I think they need to get their finger out

I doubt they will get the remaining A road locations done this year. I've heard there are capacity problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have since spoken to Zero Carbon Futures directly about RCN on M62 and Rapids are due to go in at Hartside in 4 - 5 weeks time.. (as of October 28th) Just keep looking on the Zap Map for latest installations news :)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Just dropped by M62 Birch eastbound.
Bollards and plinths in. No marked bays or signage, so RCN won't claim the install just yet...
Oh, and obviously no chargers yet.
Looks hopeful for this month though....

·
Registered
723 Posts
Dropped by Birch west bound and no sign just yet.
No sign of what?

Dropped in there Tuesday night and they had bollards and plinths there too. Just not the rest (signage/markings/charger). At Westbound they were actually in the middle of a double row of parking spaces on the right about eight or so spaces back from the services with the charging kit position occupying part of the facing row behind. Not sure what they will do with the shortened bays afterwards. May be useful if the charging bays are ICEd

Rough charger-to-be positions in red (didn't stop or get out).

BirchW.jpg

As for the actual chargers, I note Telford M54 was reported as plinths in with signage 11th October and still no chargers, but we still have 24days for Birch to hit November...

·
Registered
723 Posts
As a result of the thread with the Ecotricity "219 by the end of the week" comment on the "who paid for the Ecotricity Electric Highway" thread, I called back through Birch west this evening. No chargers still (not that I expected there would be yet) but bay marking and signage are in!

I mis-read the layout on Tuesday. Still didn't stop and get out, but the chargers and bay will both be in the back row (facing the motorway). It looks like they have taken 4 existing bays and fitted a single bay in the middle of the central two bay slot with strips for the chargers either side and then taken the bay each side to give two chargers / three bays in what was originally a four bay space.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts