Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke to Richard last night when I reported a fault with the old charger at Thurrock. That's the first time I have spoken to him: previously it has bees Simon or Stuart or, much longer ago, Emma.

It would appear that two new members of staff are to be allocated roles, "to support all those Zoes and I3s".

Incidentally, the fault was something like "Inverter c11 failure" but the message flashed across the screen too quickly for me to be sure.

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
420 Posts
Thurrock's left hand (old) charger had that error on DC two weeks ago. I reported it back then. :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think the older left hand charger at Thurrock services has been out of action for over a month now. They do seem to break down quite often in my experience and take far too long to repair.
On one hand Ecotricity supply a free charging service so I don't like to complain. But, on the other hand they are supplying a service so should they make more of an effort to repair these stations quicker?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mark.

I can't agree more. I get criticised a lot for commenting about the Ecotricity Highway reliability. Many people are of the opinion that if it is free then we have no right to complain. I don't agree with that view.

They have put in place a network of chargers that EV drivers now rely on. It is no good just saying it is free and so we shouldn't complain. If they want EV drivers to use the Highway then it must be reliable otherwise why have they installed it?

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Reliability is clearly an issue. And when we're let down we are often delayed as we divert.

That said we shouldn't forget that this is new infrastructure going in which hasn't been done on such a massive scale before. Until we tested these units there was no real way of ecotricity knowing what real-world reliability they have.

My attitude with the rapids is that because we're not currently being charged to use them then we owe ecotricity a bit of slack. How many other countries in Europe have such a network??

When I travel south from Yorkshire I simply accept that if the wetherby unit is off line then I'll have to divert to York to their rapids. I expect to need to do this on occasions. Once on the electric highway, I always stop to rapid charge when I only have enough juice left to reach the charger after the one that I plan to stop at.

When we start being billed, then I will expect a reliable service. And I don't want billing to start until that service is reliable.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I noticed this week that they tweeted that about 5 chargers had been replaced (as opposed to repaired) so maybe there is a bad batch?

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I noticed this week that they tweeted that about 5 chargers had been replaced (as opposed to repaired) so maybe there is a bad batch?
You sure that isn't replacing type 2 with Rapid, like at Woodall services?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
The highway is actually very substantially funded by Brussels. Which means we've all paid for it in part. That's why the leccy is free for now

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
OK... yes... a small part yes and they aren't even installed yet!

It has absolutely nothing to do with why the electricity is free. That is because Ecotricity have decided not to charge a fee yet and nothing to do with Brussels funding of the RCN

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
OK... yes... a small part yes and they aren't even installed yet!

It has absolutely nothing to do with why the electricity is free. That is because Ecotricity have decided not to charge a fee yet and nothing to do with Brussels funding of the RCN
Some of the RCN is in place, and the RCN site says these chargers will remain free to use until the end of 2015. It would be understandable if the assumption was made that this was as a result of EU part-funding, even if that part isn't spelled out.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Yes, the RCN part but this was what was said...
The highway is actually very substantially funded by Brussels. Which means we've all paid for it in part. That's why the leccy is free for now
This says "the highway" implying all of the Highway. It is only the RCN part.

The bulk of the Highway is not Brussels funded nor is it free because of Brussels funding.

Just trying to make sure that people don't get the impression that the Highway is Brussels funded . It is not :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One of the new chargers at Cambridge has some message on the side about being EU funded. The other hasn't.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts