Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just been reading Dale Vince's recent new book, Manifesto : Manifesto: How a maverick entrepreneur took on British energy and won eBook: Vince, Dale, Robb, John: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

Electric Highway started discussions beginning of 2020 to be sold off.

I have not searched online any further. Any one know who might be buying it?

I am just trying to sense if finally we might get some further investment to make it a great network that is also availble to all. I currently prefer Tesla's for long road trips because of their SuC network.

Reactions: alegar

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
Very hard to value those when their monopoly at MSAs ends and there appears to be little potential to increase the number of chargers at there existing sites.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
If I was on a long journey with family, sites with two rapids would not be my first choice. In fact, the diesel would be the first choice, and possibly cheaper, lol...

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
450 Posts
I have to say I have not had any problems with EH in my previous long trips, but I have been using a ZE40 (type 2 charge only). Maybe that's a factor.

Most of the times I have had free vend charges so can't complain.

Now with a ZE50 and CCS maybe I'll suffer their problems more?

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,741 Posts
I'm not surprised. I noticed the shareholding changed so that Dale and his Mrs weren't listed personally at all. Shares went into a company that they were co owners of. I thought it might have been as they suspected it was going to go bankrupt and wanted to be a bit further away from the mess when it happened.

It's worthless as a brand as it's just a bunch of crap old chargers in MSAs that the monopoly is now broken with BP putting chargers in the fuel station area. Shell did the same at Chester so it's worth nothing.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
I can already hear the LEAF drivers hissing at me as I type this
Not me - I agree entirely. With a car with 80 miles range having to reserve 20 miles to keep options B and C within range and then only charging to 80% meant (80*80% - 20) 44 miles between charges. Not exactly ideal for a "grand tour". :rolleyes: Being able to reduce that final margin to say 5 miles by confidence in the charge point meant a 35% increase!

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
450 Posts
The ZE50 has actually been rock solid on these EH DBT chargers in my experience. Unfortunately this was not the case with certain other brands of charger last time I experimented.
What's the kW you would normally reach after motorway runs?

I've seen the charge rate plots for the ZE50, they show the first 20mins at 45kW (from 0%) and then gradually drop down to 25kW.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,741 Posts
When is the deadline for contactless to be on all rapids and not just ones installed since 2018? That's probably what is pushing this as it means fines for being in breach of the regulations. Podpoint and Geniepoint are also going to have trouble as they have about 2 contactless rapids between them.

I wonder if Octopus Energy is going to buy it? I suspect Ecotricity the energy company is also a bit shaky and Octopus are generally far better thought of than many others.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
What's the kW you would normally reach after motorway runs?

I've seen the charge rate plots for the ZE50, they show the first 20mins at 45kW (from 0%) and then gradually drop down to 25kW.
41-42kW is the best I've ever managed in the real world, and to get that you have to have the battery nice and warm and have a SOC very low. It'll manage that twice, but then the third charge will slow down to about the same as you would get if you were on AC, around 22kW.

Conditions aren't always perfect, neither are the chargers. My average charge rate is usually in the 30's.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
You won't. Chargemaster & Polar have re-branded as "Pulse".
They can change their name or introduce new brands as many times as they want, but they won't escape their reputation unless they make some serious changes to the way they operate.

Also when did Pulse even become a thing? This is the first I have heard about it.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.