Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that I need to tell a little bit of history of EV :)

Did you know that the very first vehicle (not train) was electric?

Something that no combustion engine never did, was ride on the moon 馃榿

In the past, around 1911 most of NY taxis were electric.

Makes you wonder if some technologies weren't purposely suppressed to secure the profits of oil and coal...

Link I took the information from

What do you think?

Super Moderator
1769 for the first steam powered road vehicle, I think. Built in France. James Watt built one a few years later.

First electric vehicles I'm aware of were in the 1800's.

Super Moderator
Baker electric cars started around 1900 in the US. Detroit Electric started a few years later.

Edison started making NiFe "Edison" batteries around 1910. They were more expensive than Pb but lasted forever and gave better range.

Registered
I think you'll find active travel will be the future, living and working in far closer proximity negating the need to own a vehicle at all.

If we are serious about reducing the effects of climate change that are already being felt, with far worse to come over the next decade or two, then getting people out of their cars, whether ICE or BEV is the answer. If the past has taught us anything it is that we waste huge amounts of taxpayers money every year so that people can drive their little metal status symbols short distances, to then sit outside their homes or workplaces depreciating with no obvious benefit.

The first shots have just been fired across the bows as to how we want to live our lives, going forward. The pandemic has shown that we have to urgently change our ways and that going forward a return to "normal" is the worst option available to us.

It'll be interesting to see where we go from here.

I fear that we will learn nothing from this as man's utter selfishness will win out at all costs.

Registered
One of the things that hastened the progress of ICEs and killed of early electric vehicles was the adoption of an electric starter motor on petrol cars. No need for a starting handle (although I recall frequently having to use it when the engine wouldn鈥檛 turn over).

Registered
2015 Golf Match Bluemotion 1.0 TSI
At the turn of the 20th Century, Thomas Edison invented a battery with the unusual quirk of producing hydrogen. Now, 120 years later, the battery is coming into its own.

But the nickel-iron battery did have some kinks to work out. It was larger than the more widely used lead-acid batteries, and also more expensive. Also, when it was being charged, it would release hydrogen, which was considered a nuisance, and could be dangerous.

Registered
One of the things that hastened the progress of ICEs and killed of early electric vehicles was the adoption of an electric starter motor on petrol cars. No need for a starting handle (although I recall frequently having to use it when the engine wouldn鈥檛 turn over).
Exactly, there's reports that manually crank starting the early ICEs was not only hard work but could be dangerous, the crank handles could catch and injure people, even break bones. Combine easy starting with cheap petrol, mass produced low cost cars from Ford and the long range provided by a simple fuel tank and ICE pushed out EV simply by being the better product.

100 years later and EVs still struggle to match some of the benefits of ICE.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts