Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a notification from Octopus yesterday to say that they had added the Ionity network to EJC.
Having just watched an item on YouTube explaining that Ionity charge £67 pre-authorisation if paying by contactless card, I asked Octopus if this applied when using EJC?
The good news is no pre-authorisation fee & 5% discount.
It still makes Ionity's price per KWh expensive, but as a former employer of mine says "Every Little Hepls"

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,794 Posts
If you want a cheaper way to access Ionity, Chargepoint's app or RFID will give you a bigger discount than Octopus.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you want a cheaper way to access Ionity, Chargepoint's app or RFID will give you a bigger discount than Octopus.
Thanks for that information, I have looked at their website and can only see Instavolt, not Ionity!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Thanks for that information, I have looked at their website and can only see Instavolt, not Ionity!

Their website isn't the clearest thing in the world. But see the bottom of this screen grab which I highlighted in red. They allow roaming onto Ionity at 58p/kWh. Still pricey, but an improvement over standard pricing.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 141569
Their website isn't the clearest thing in the world. But see the bottom of this screen grab which I highlighted in red. They allow roaming onto Ionity at 58p/kWh. Still pricey, but an improvement over standard pricing.
Thanks for your help, I will check it out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 141569
I has some filters set which prevented Ionity from showing, I entered Gretna Green and there it was 👍

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,098 Posts
It was also showing ecotricity points at £6 a session on the map so I wouldn't take any pricing information that seriously from Chargepoint.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
It was also showing ecotricity points at £6 a session on the map so I wouldn't take any pricing information that seriously from Chargepoint.
Don't look at anything other than the chargers listed in green. If its green you can start a charge with roaming using their app or card and they will bill you the advertised rate.

The grey ones simply show you locations of other chargers and this information can be outdated.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
646 Posts
Pricey, but nice to have the option. Great news for the EJ card. Itemised billing to your energy account + no pre-auths to worry about make it a really attractive proposition.

I only used mine once before Onto gave me a Shell card which covers most (all?) of the same networks, but otherwise I'd 100% have the EJ card in my wallet.

·
Registered
275 Posts
View attachment 141569
Saw someone saying that their Chargepoint card had stopped working at IONITY. I’ve ordered one to try it.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Saw someone saying that their Chargepoint card had stopped working at IONITY. I’ve ordered one to try it.
So far it's continued to work for me. It could be that the charger went offline so couldn't authorise it? These Ionity chargers are surprisingly unreliable despite the steep pricing. Only benefit is there's usually several and you'll get at least one to work.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
856 Posts
Urg. Why cant we just have Credit/Debit card payment. Hopefully all these stupid cards die out eventually.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Urg. Why cant we just have Credit/Debit card payment. Hopefully all these stupid cards die out eventually.
I reckon they’ll get more prevalent. One or two might become the go to standard but I do think the future will be that everyone has a fuel* card of some description.

Don’t necessarily think it’s right but I do think it’s what’s going to happen. “mobility service providers” are explicitly mentioned in the ongoing government consultation.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
646 Posts
These cards cost less to process, don't require the same data connection, don't involve an annoying pre-auth for the customer. More importantly, they let the company know & track you as a customer - which isn't always to your benefit(!), but does mean they can do receipts, promotions, rewards etc, and can potentially allow them to get away with 5% VAT - although I don't fully understand how that bit works.

·
not very good at taking life seriously
48 Posts
seems to be a nice addition to the octopus offer. i tend to charge at home, so havent had the need to use it yet

1 - 16 of 16 Posts