Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am planning and have permission to install a home charger next to my parking space, i live in an apartment block, can and allowed to tap from the main consumer unit for the communal areas for the lighting etc, the qualified electrician i am planning to use has installed home chargers before but not sure how to get around to install an a "separate meter" to send me metered bills directly to me and not the management company. I'd appreciate your suggestions and advice if this is possible?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Well, I asked for a meter to be put in with my Rolec 5 years ago. Here's what I got, a mini-CU dangling off the main supply. Wires in from the left, grey wire to the right goes off to EVSE. I just read it monthly at same time as other meters & plot my data, but in your case someone would need to come & check your readings periodically.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Hi everyone,
I am planning and have permission to install a home charger next to my parking space, i live in an apartment block, can and allowed to tap from the main consumer unit for the communal areas for the lighting etc, the qualified electrician i am planning to use has installed home chargers before but not sure how to get around to install an a "separate meter" to send me metered bills directly to me and not the management company. I'd appreciate your suggestions and advice if this is possible?
Are you talking about a meter that you can use to repay the management company for energy consumed or one to pay a supplier? The latter will require a separate MPAN etc. The other issue that you need to give a little thought to is what happens to the meter if you decide to move out. If it has a MPAN, then it will incur a standing charge even if it is not used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am talking about the energy consumed used through the charging point. I'm not aware of a separate MPAN. I would have thought, if i decide to move out i can simply get an electrician to put everything how it was? Thanks for the input anyway, it's worth mentioning this to the electrician.

Are you talking about a meter that you can use to repay the management company for energy consumed or one to pay a supplier? The latter will require a separate MPAN etc. The other issue that you need to give a little thought to is what happens to the meter if you decide to move out. If it has a MPAN, then it will incur a standing charge even if it is not used.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
As HandyAndy says above it is very straightforward - your electrician just needs to wire a meter between the EVSE (charge point) and it's electrical supply - something like this:

It needs to go in a waterproof box if installed out of doors, but again this is a very standard thing to do (I have one on my solar install).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts