·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq
667 Posts
Where does it say it was a bargain?
You are right in that it doesn't, it was just within the budget we had set for a replacement to our old Zoe, that was all. If we had wanted a bargain we would have opted for an MG ZS EV, but it required compromises we weren't prepared to make.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,855 Posts
When they got mine last month, my dealer told me they were under orders from Renault to either charge or replace the 12V battery during PDI, due to the extended storage time (It had been on Southampton Docks since lockdown began).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You have to give them a chance to fix it before you can reject, but maybe due to distance purchases it could be a 14 day return
The lease was sold entirely at a distance so can be rejected for any reason during the 14 day cooling off period.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The lease was sold entirely at a distance so can be rejected for any reason during the 14 day cooling off period.
Not that it sounds like you'll have this issue, but just in case DON'T give them a chance to fix it. I made that mistake with mine and the dealer couldn't figure out what was wrong with it but as they were trying, they refused the rejection for months.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I suspect your errors are due to the 12v needing to be replaced because the cars were in transport mode and sat for weeks at the docks, slowly discharging. I see @WonkoTheSaneUK has already posted about dealers being asked to check and replace 12v before delivery. I wonder if your lease one hasn’t had this check done?
Anyhow, rejection may be your best option at this point..

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
You have to give them a chance to fix it before you can reject, but maybe due to distance purchases it could be a 14 day return
Not true, see the link I posted. However, there has been no legal precedent so some dealers may try and be awkward about it. I have rejected a car twice, once due to not matching order and once due to very poor paint/bumper match. Never due to a fault after I drove away though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
So, following another incident last night/this morning, this time where the salesperson tried to mug me off, the balance was tipped and we cancelled the agreement by email to the dealership and RCI using the 14 day cooling off period clause.

Rejecting the car under the 30 day fault legislation’s risky as the dealer may refuse to accept the rejection, which leaves one in the hands of the Motor Ombudsman for a protracted length of time. There might have been further complication too as the car’s owned by the lease company, not us.

No response from either party yet, but they’ve been informed, told we’re not using it and asked to refund the initial payment and collect their car at their earliest.

Also sent a separate email to RCI explaining, without prejudice, events to date and that we accepted none of that was their doing.

Since found and ordered from a different dealer an identical car (Zoe 50 GT Line, with Winter Pack) but including Rapid Charge for less money over the 2 year contract hire than the deal without Rapid Charge. Arrives in 2 weeks.

All’s well that ends well then.

Incidentally, we went to try the push chair in an e-208 boot yesterday. Not a chance. It’s tiny compared even to the Zoe.

Had a good look at the e-2008 too and nearly went for one instead, but the Zoe’s just tooooo cheap on lease at the mo, and the Peugeot just not worth the difference, particularly given the lower range.

·
Registered
16,890 Posts
So, following another incident last night/this morning, this time where the salesperson tried to mug me off, the balance was tipped and we cancelled the agreement by email to the dealership and RCI using the 14 day cooling off period clause.
I think you’ve done the right thing in the circumstance, as the weak link here is the dealership.

Why their reaction was not to take the car into the workshop and give you a loaner while they sorted it out, I don’t know.

What exactly was their response when you told them of the fault(s)?

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,025 Posts
Don’t want to throw a spanner into the works, but isn’t the 14 day cooling off period from when you order, rather than from when you accept delivery?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I think you’ve done the right thing in the circumstance, as the weak link here is the dealership.

Why their reaction was not to take the car into the workshop and give you a loaner while they sorted it out, I don’t know.

What exactly was their response when you told them of the fault(s)?
It’s definitely the dealer, or more specifically, the salesperson. You’re absolutely right.

We’re in Rutland. They’re in t’North. Our nearest dealer is Renault Leicester who are closed for at least 2 weeks, probably a month from what we’re being told locally.

The salesperson yesterday offered, unprompted by me, to call the next nearest dealer who are in Nottingham, arrange for the car to be collected, a loaner dropped off, have the drivetrain issue looked into and the bodywork repaired. The Mrs wasn’t terribly happy about having it back, but agreed to see what would happen.

Instead I got a call this morning from the original dealer’s service manager who suggested since the electric motor failure fault’s since cleared (although it’s reappeared again) that my wife “monitors” it and books the car in with them if it happens again.

“Do you know where we live?”
“No”.

“Has the salesperson sent you the email I sent with the snaps of the dash messages and bodywork?”
“No”.

Called the salesperson and asked how he was getting on with arranging things with the dealer in Nottingham.
“Oh!”, haven’t you had a call from our service manager? “I’ll put you through now”.

There followed from me a frank explanation of my take on courtesy, customer service and various other facts of life and the promise of an email follow up.

Got a call back from After Sales who said they wanted to look into it further. But on balance that’s likely just procrastination and the 14 day clock was ticking.

Pretty typical new car dealer experience really - The new lot seem a lot better, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Don’t want to throw a spanner into the works, but isn’t the 14 day cooling off period from when you order, rather than from when you accept delivery?
It’s from the date of delivery of goods or service.

I could choose to work from the date of delivery, June 30th, but instead I’ve gone for the date the lease agreement was signed which was a few days earlier.

I feel a bit sorry for RCI in this as they’ve not done anything wrong. But it’s not them who’ll get left with a lemon and they’ll get the order for the replacement.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
It’s from the date of delivery of goods or service.

I could choose to work from the date of delivery, June 30th, but instead I’ve gone for the date the lease agreement was signed which was a few days earlier.

I feel a bit sorry for RCI in this as they’ve not done anything wrong. But it’s not them who’ll get left with a lemon and they’ll get the order for the replacement.
It's ashame our lemon laws are not like they are in the states as it would help save future owners from a lot of issues.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,025 Posts
It's ashame our lemon laws are not like they are in the states as it would help save future owners from a lot of issues.
Don’t stop on that cliffhanger...why?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Because then they wouldn't just end up back on a forecourt. They have to be marked as lemons and sold as thus.
Stick samcrac into YouTube and look at the videos of his Lincoln. That's s perfect example of how it can go if your lucky.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So that’s it. Order cancelled. RCI will arrange inspection/collection and everything we’ve paid comes back to us.

Cancelled the order for the replacement Zoe too.

Found a stonking lease deal on an e-2008 GT and signed up the missus for that instead.

Works out just £34 a month more than the Zoe including £700 worth of special paint, has more room, a far bigger boot and 100kW charging. Arrives next month.

Range is a bit....well, we’ll see. But it’s enough. And the charging and space makes it possible to use on drives to Germany or even to the house in Spain. Whether that turns out to be practical, we’ll see.

To top it off, the long awaited Octopus Agile tariff kicked in today.
The cancelled Zoe hasn’t gone back just yet, so it can make a bit of cash to cover its parking space on the driveway - I’ll be programming the preconditioning to kick in during negative Plunge Pricing periods 🤣

·
Registered
16,890 Posts
True, but that was with only 22 kW charging too.
Because of the distance between charging stops, you need a higher state of charge. This makes the difference in charging speed less significant.

I’d probably have saved 30 minutes per stop. So still painful.

But let us know how you get on. :)

21 - 40 of 87 Posts