Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

For an electric motorcycle/moped, which charging option would you prefer?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This poll is for in response to numerous requests regarding 100% electric mopeds/motorbikes. Please take a moment to consider

·
Registered
731 Posts
I would say removable for two reasons.

1, increased security if you’re leaving it somewhere and checking in to a hotel, train etc
2, if you park in an underground car park or live in a flat etc you can take the battery with you and charge without the need for a driveway, garage or dedicated power supply.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Welcome to Speak EV.
Both,but the biggest problem with bikes and scooters is vehicle security.
There is plenty of interest,but security makes 2 wheeled every day transport a bit of a non starter.The scooter and bike theft numbers are at epidemic proportions in and around London,other big cities and towns also have plenty of it too,sadly.

Electric bikes/batteries/removable batteries would be even more of a target for obvious reasons,tiz a great shame.

Also the weather here in the UK tends to be on the wet and cold side of things,people would rather bus/train and taxi in the warm and dry rather than value independence by the look of it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Living up north and up until recently(now full time from home), commuting year round by ICE motorcycle, theft isn't such a big issue. Goretex gear removes the weather issue. I would have loved to have had a Zero but there's very few dealers around.

A range of 50 miles and top speed of 65 would have been great. Removable battery would have allowed under the desk charging but wouldn't be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Can you imagine having to carry a helmet and a battery around the shops. I imagine that the battery would not be light.

·
Madam Legurtz
402 Posts
I had a Vectrix (range 40 miles per charge) back in 2007 for four years, massive NiMh battery cluster that would take two adults to lift. I now have a 2017 Zero SR (range circa 85 miles) with a 13KWh Li-Ion battery pack and that also would be cumbersome and heavy to lift. So the notion of removable battery packs for a serious EV Motorcycle is misplaced at the current state of battery tech.

However, if the promise of solid state batteries bears fruit, that same 85 miles per charge could be realised with a battery pack 1/10th the physical size, and so on. Then perhaps a removable battery would be viable.

Re other comments about commuting on a Motorcycle - I ride in all weathers except ice. My commute is 27 miles each way into London. A good quality Goretex or similar suit protects from the worst. And at my age a pair of electrically heated gloves is a godsend. The freedom from the abject failures and financial cost of public transport, plus the far shorter commute times on the bike, make it a total win for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So a few points here.

Im not sure why people would steal the batteries of an electric bike on their own especially as they are made for specific brands. I would imagine its actually the opposite, ie if you take out the batteries, there is no real reason to steal the bike at all as the replacement cost of a battery would be prohibitive and some of the bikes offer alarms as well as having the battery locked inside the compartment. Plus as dealers, if we suddenly got calls from people wanting to buy batteries on their own, we would ask for the VIN of the bike concerned.

Depending on the model, the batteries weigh about 8kg, the equivalent of 4 bags of sugar (see attached). I wouldnt suggest you lug them around the shops in the same way that people dont always take their helmets with them, they lock them in a top box. Also, the batteries need specific chargers with specific connectors, so another option is to take the charger out (or carry around the shops) so at best a thief would only have one use of the bike.

We have created stickers for electric motorbike owners that highlights that bikes with removable batteries are essentially useless when the batteries are removed (see attached).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Also the weather here in the UK tends to be on the wet and cold side of things,people would rather bus/train and taxi in the warm and dry rather than value independence by the look of it.
I'm one of them, despite riding for well over thirty years now.
It's not so much the warm and dry thing, as others have said you can get clothing to get around that.
It's the fact bad weather commuting makes a bloody mess of your bike and simply isn't fun.
Bikes, to me, are all about fun.
The day they become a 'tool' will be a sad day for me.

·
Madam Legurtz
402 Posts
I'm one of them, despite riding for well over thirty years now.
It's not so much the warm and dry thing, as others have said you can get clothing to get around that.
It's the fact bad weather commuting makes a bloody mess of your bike and simply isn't fun.
Bikes, to me, are all about fun.
The day they become a 'tool' will be a sad day for me.
Apart from [possibly] being stark staring bonkers, I actually don't mind riding in all weathers. I still get the thrill getting on the blooming thing each morning to commute to London. Social riding isn't quite as frequent as I do other stuff with my weekends.

I think my all-weather riding came into force during my stint in a local Advanced Motorcyclists Group where I trained up and later became an Observer. We'd go out in everything mother nature would chuck down at us so as not to disappoint the Associate (trainee) who were keen as mustard to get out there.

Know what you mean about the machine becoming a "tool" and hope I never get to feel that way. But house rule is "Any bike that comes to live with me is going to get wet" LOL :) :D

·
Super Moderator
7,474 Posts
For a bicycle, removable, for a motorbike, fixed.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Interesting. Why?
I'd have thought fairly obvious, any decent size motorbike batteries will be too heavy, but the batteries on cycles are not and eminently suitable for underdesk charging when at work, or even at the pub / cafe. Its even realistic to carry a spare cycle battery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i see. I guess it depends. Im ok with carrying an 8kg battery from the car park to my place of work or my flat. The other issue of course is what if you dont have a charging poiint where you park it

·
Registered
824 Posts
For a motorbike I would personally want more range than an 8kg battery would provide.

I had a fast ebike with a 12kg battery and it only did about 30miles at 30mph.

It might be ok if you can carry multiple batteries on the bike.

·
Registered
824 Posts
If its removable, you are limited by what someone can safely carry. I.e. 15Kg max, less if you are week or elderly.

The charger would also be heavy, maybe 2kg.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Its hard to realize the advantages that a removable battery brings. To fully charge in pizza hut for example. You would need to pick the seats next to the sockets and plug in a box with wires, LEDs an fan noises, then hope noone asks.

A lot of offices have policies banning using personal electronic devices Cos of the fire hazard.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts