Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get my head around what is actually on offer.

Annoyingly there are half a dozen or so companies all saying they are the UKs biggest electric bike distributor, and then they seem to have adverts and pages written years ago.

Does anyone actually have a GOOD lead on a GOOD retailer?

I want to see ALL >30mph UK motorbikes on offer today, they all seem to offer different makes and models.

I also cannot find anyone who offers a search engine to find bikes that can actually do decent speeds, all the 15mph are mixed up with 28mph, some 50, some 75. Can't tell one from another.

Any good leads, anyone? thanks.

·
Registered
694 Posts
if you make your own with something like these...

...you can go around 60 mph set up for flat ground with about a 6.3:1 gear reduction or maybe 55mph up a 10% slope with a bit higher reduction ~7.2:1

·
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

They seem to have quite a few UK dealers
They seem to charge lots of money. Just one make. I want to see what else is available.

What I am after is;
Up to ~50mph.
Not too long, ~1.8m
Not too pricey, ~£2,500
Takes a pillion rider

Thanks.

·
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you make your own with something like these...

...you can go around 60 mph set up for flat ground with about a 6.3:1 gear reduction or maybe 55mph up a 10% slope with a bit higher reduction ~7.2:1

View attachment 135202
No I can't because it won't be legal.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
They seem to charge lots of money. Just one make. I want to see what else is available.

What I am after is;
Up to ~50mph.
Not too long, ~1.8m
Not too pricey, ~£2,500
Takes a pillion rider

Thanks.
Ah ok. You hadn't specified any criteria in your initial post.

·
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I saw that one but can't find any dimension information.

I want something that I can get in the back of the van. Then I can take 'electric' with me and use it at the end of a long trip.

·
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah ok. You hadn't specified any criteria in your initial post.
Well I did. What I want is a search engine so I can put in my requirements.

"I'm trying to get my head around what is actually on offer. ...I want to see ALL >30mph UK motorbikes on offer today, they all seem to offer different makes and models. "

If there's a 200 mile range, 120 mph bike for one for £2k, hey, I can compromise! ;)

·
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Second Google hit:

I looked at that and you can barely find any of those for sale, and there are loads of better ones (value/speed/capacity wise) not listed. None of them fit my requirement either, and you can't tell which ones are 30mph affairs.

A worthless Google hit, in the context of what I am looking for.

·
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what is the definition of a "legal" electric motorcycle in the UK that's capable in excess of 50mph?
Homologated for use and can be registered.

It is theoretically possible to make your own here and get single vehicle type approval, but I have no intention whatsoever of such a hassle, I have no time for such an effort and would neither want to nor really have the extent of knowledge to make that happen.

·
Registered
694 Posts
ive seen numerous xtracycle electric conversions that can carry passengers prowling the streets of san francisco... i think it meets most of your requirements.

·
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doesn't look 50mph capable to me, TBH. :unsure:

Need at least 3~4kW motor for that, and we are only allowed 500W before legally requires registration.

·
Registered
694 Posts
So when you said “up to” 50mph, you mean you want it capable of 50mph (and not other top speeds below 50mph)?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Donald, it seems that your requirements exceed prices. A bit of Google shows the Supersoco bikes would do the job, but they're about £4k. That includes poor Chinese quality as a bonus!

·
29,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Donald, it seems that your requirements exceed prices. A bit of Google shows the Supersoco bikes would do the job, but they're about £4k. That includes poor Chinese quality as a bonus!
Not really, I have found 4 contenders so far.

Will figure a list in due course in case that is of help for someone else. Surprised no-one has done this sort of thing before, and there are no data lists of such machines, you have to go piece it together yourself from various sites.

·
Registered
17,406 Posts
£2k is eBike territory really.

Although I have seen some eScooters you can buy (step through style) that are below £2k and available to pick up at a local store. Probably test drive too.

You don’t want to know where though. :)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts